Personal View site logo
Nikon in bad way, rumour Fuji here to help
  • Fujirumors reports that the Japanese Government has asked Fujifilm to 'help out' Nikon.

Currently its only in Japanese and only Google translate.

http://www.fujirumors.com/japanese-goverment-wants-fujifilm-help-suffering-nikon-company-says-japanese-report/

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • To me, and I'm a Nikon user for still images, Nikon has perpetually been in a state of being a day late and a dollar short. Always one or two steps (sometimes small steps) behind the curve of current desirability. The question now is whether Nikon is too big to let fail?

• @firstbase I'm a Nikon shooter as well. Although the term 'investment' should not be used when users purchase camera gear, we are invested into systems, especially when using lenses with certain lens mounts.

• @alcomposer Agreed. I have a lot of Nikon glass and don't want to give that up. From a video perspective, that's what makes the URSA Mini Pro compelling with the "coming soon" announcement of a Nikon mount with built-in aperture control ring. If the new EF-only Panny could have that, I might be tempted to look in their direction. As of now the EVA1 is an impractical non-starter for me.

• Might sound silly, but I think they should work on getting an F7 to market.
    I think they said earlier that they wanted to focus on hi-end photography only.. that's probably a smart move as they are now an outsider company. They never implemented video very well and it doesn't seem like they will ever do much with it

• @firstbase totally agree. However, I am thinking of getting a few EF mount Samyang primes, as they are manual only they don't really work that well with my Nikon cameras anyway, and they will work well with e-mount in future.

I think this is what happens when business intersects with culture. Camera systems are part of our culture, history, and help document our world. There should be greater restrictions on camera mounts, or at least an ISO standard developed. Think of the problems we would have if every manufacture came out with its own version of USB1/2/3? I would rather a 'corrupt policeman' version of camera mounts than this mess we are in now. (thank goodness USB3.1 fixed that mess as well - kind of)

Besides they are all basically the same, mounts just help lenses connect to cameras. This should not be a battle ground.

• @robertGL

What I think they should work on is getting their video up-to-standard. D810 uses very similar sensor to a7rii (I believe previous generation). So any D850, etc, should do 4k FullFrame.

It is however very hard to do this when using another manufactures sensors. And sensor development is very expensive. Maybe the fact that Nikon started using Sony sensors was the first warning sign?

If they came out with an 8k Video Full Frame Hybrid, would they even use F-Mount at all? Possibly there are many photographers that are heavily invested in Nikon glass that would want to do videography as well, or are already using Nikon glass on other systems (GH5-Sony etc). But it all comes down to sensor design, manufacturing, profits unfortunately.

Personally- I have no idea how this situation can be fixed for Nikon. (and I'm a Nikon shooter as well).

• Don't worry everyone, Nikon is making a SWOROVSKI camera!

http://www.ideaaustralia.com/2017/06/swarovski-has-partnered-with-nikon-to-create-a-beautiful-almost-full-scale-crystal-reproduction-of-the-nikon-model-i/

Nikon and Swarovski Collaborate to Produce a Unique Reproduction of the Nikon Model I. Additionally, Nikon begins accepting orders for Nikon 100th Anniversary Products AUSTRALIA – 1 JUNE 2017 – Nikon Corporation will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its establishment this July 25th. In celebration of this event, Nikon and Swarovski® (a registered trademark of Swarovski AG), one of the world’s leading crystal manufacturers have collaborated to create a unique crystal reproduction to be sold exclusively on Nikon Store.

In 1948, the Nikon Model I, which was created using the most advanced optical technologies of the time and represented the starting point for Nikon cameras, was released.

To commemorate Nikon’s first camera and its 100th anniversary, Swarovski® has partnered with Nikon to create a beautiful, almost full-scale, crystal reproduction of the Nikon Model I. Precise attention to detail has been paid to this precious crystal replica. The corporate logo from 1948 can be found on the top of the reproduction, and even the applicable text has been engraved around the lens portion.

SW1.jpg
    900 x 530 - 24K
  • @alcomposer - WTF? (referring to the crystal cam)

I have a lot of Nikon glass - mostly older stuff. I think they need to stick to professional photography cams. I work with Sandro Miller quite a bit and he's a Nikon guy. They need better integration into schools that teach photography, imo. All the young kids are going Canon these days, well mostly. Of course, being a day late in the video realm, means people looking past their gear for the occasional moments when they want to capture motion. People want everything in one package.

• @rockroadpix I think that Fuji is a great choice for Nikon. Fuji are really interested in cinema. With a long history of video centric lenses. Looking at their MK zoom lens line, it really is remarkable.

Personally I think its so complicated. Nikon need to go mirrorless. Should F-mount even go mirrorless? Fuji have X-mount, so time will tell.

Looking at history:

Minolta -> Konica Minolta -> Sony

SR-mount -> a-mount -> e-mount

I just hope Fuji isn't Nikons Konica! :-(

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev: the new crystal camera will make a nice addition to your "gear cut in half" collection! ;-)

• MIrrorless is a crowded market and nikon's 1 series, for instance, never really took off. I have a V2 and think it's great, but so are the canon Ms and Sony cams. Sony seems to dominate that market. Nikon kind of half-assed video throughout

I think Nikon should focus on a pro DSLR with some new, ergonomic and configurable viewfinder, moar autofocus and connectivity gizmos.. and release an aforementioned F7 to serve as their flagship. Lenses too.. Both companies seem to have many products for medical and industrial use as well, so I guess that's another reason why they're matching up with each other

• IMO, Nikon reached their peak with the D5300/D7200/D810/D4 generation of cameras, and have since then diluted and dissipated their brand with an excess of confusingly numbered models with inadequate and inconsistent features. The recently released, downgraded and overpriced D7500 is the latest misguided marketing blunder, a camera that appeals to virtually no current Nikon shooter. The D3X00 and D5X00 lines were reasonably well delineated, but their latest numerical upgrades offered no significant new features. In retrospect, the D7X00 line should have been labelled D3X0 to build on the DX lineage of the D300. The D6X0 was a miserable failure, combining the worst features of DX and FX formats. The D800/D800E was rough and premature but redeemed by the D810, which IMO Nikon should have christened with a generous D800 trade-in offer. I won't comment on the D3/4/5 line as it's well outside my budget.

So, what of the current generation, the D500 and D750? They are both great cameras with well-delineated DX and FX feature sets (but lackluster 4K video), that don't clearly fit anywhere in Nikon's pre-existing product lines. Is the DX D500 the next step up from the D7200 or D7500, or is it the FX D750? Shouldn't the numbers have been swapped, with the D500 marketed as the "D750", and the D750 labelled the "D650"? At least then the DX models would all have odd-numbered most-significant-digits, and the FX models labelled with even-numbered MSB's. But who am I to pontificate on Nikon's hot mess, I'm just an old-school engineer.

• @LPowell

Nikon issues are similar to Canon ones. And they have similar foundation.

They no longer can make sensors, only ask for some manufacturer (Sony mostly).

They have issues making LSI, as they become too complex and sales fall. Prior to compacts fall all firms financed LSI development from their sales.

And all of them do not have resources for new universal camera OS. Cameras kind of stuck in 70-80s in software terms.

Normal outcome in US had been fast manufacturers merger. In Japan due to complex structure of business groups it is very hard and firms try to do everything to avoid it usually and frequently use internal finances to hide losses or to help.