Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Something going on on youtube about the gh5 AF:

• can see that magenta hue that seems to come from the rec709 lut

• would anyone advice that... 4K 10-bit 422 25p or 4K 8-bit 420 50p be the common usage of the video mode?

I am not sure which should i use regularily

• What's the correct luminance level for both 8 and 10 bit?

• @driftwood Barcelona still a mugger's paradise? Shame.

• @timqqq

It depends on your intended delivery format....ie broadcast or Internet etc

If you are editing on a 25p timeline shoot 25p for most subjects unless the subject is fast moving like sports etc.....then shooting 50p and edit on a 50p timeline for 50p delivery would be better.

The advantage to shooting@ 50p for a 25p edit is you will get a perfect 50% slo-mo with no interpolated frames​ if you need it...

Whereas 25p 4k 10 bit 422 obviously gives more accurate color...if you are delivering to internet this color depth advantage is somewhat lost when MP4 encoding is done on upload (that etc)

There is no one size fits all... You need to take into account many considerations before choosing a recording format.

• Regrading GH5 auto focus issues:

The most positive test for auto focus speed was with an external recorder only. And thus totally flawed.

When you use internal recording almost all procesing power seems to be taken from the auto focus calculations and used to encode the bitstream instead.

This should not come as a big surprise as auto focus is worse in 4K mode vs HD mode also on the GH4.

Apparently the auto focus works even better if you don't record at all on the GH5.

Please see page 166 in the "Operating Instructions for Advanced Features" for the GH5:

"To ensure highly accurate focus, 4K motion pictures are recorded at reduced auto focus speeds. It might be difficult to focus on the subject with Auto Focus, but this is not an malfunction."

Sine auto focus seems to be substantially better as long as you don't record anything, this suggest that the CPU runs out of steam during actuall recording. Even more so in 4K mode.

They shoud have added an extra auto focus processor! ;-)

gh5_4K_aufofocus.png
    862 x 382 - 53K
    • I suppose that is sorta good news for users of external recorders, but I can see its mainly gimbal users who really want the auto focus to work well.
  • @MorganD

Barcelona's fine. It's no worse than any other big city.

• @EspenB

It seems that GH5 is an AMAZING CAMERA as long as you - don't use it! AF is Fantastic as long as as you don't use the acctual camera monitor and or camera internal recording?! Image Artifacts are nonexistant if you-use external recorder?!?! Picture is stunning if you record it -Externaly?!?! Quality that you can get out of this camera is-well will be Unprecedent, one day in future, in a year or so, when they come up with a new firmware...or acctualy maybe not, realy...

WTF?!?!!!!!?

I mean, truly, seems like Panasonic made a camera that nobody ever did: Best CAMERA IN THE WORLD - as long as its not turn on. Then all the problems become obvious...

Quite what I expected:(

Let me ask all the FANBOYS of this camera:

Who is this camera made for realy? For what kind of application?! Please Tell me... (and I will prove you that out there there are a way way way better price/perfomance pieces of gear, superior options that the acctualy users can choose...and the only reason why GH5 became a big deal is thanks to Panasonic marketing and naivite of the dreamfull masses...)

• Obviously, there are more people that shoot themselves while complaining about something than I could've ever imagined. Don't you guys have friends or someone to control the camera?

Seems as if people are expecting to just open the box, and the camera to jump out, climb on a tripod, and shoot them flawlessly in 4k60p while they do their thing. Suddenly everyone is a "content creator", desperately needing a selfie video device, and the first content they've created is about how this camera is preventing them from becoming "content creators".

• Seems as if people are expecting to just open the box, and the camera to jump out, climb on a tripod, and shoot them flawlessly in 4k60p while they do their thing.

For the price it is that they expect :-)

and the first content they've created is about how this camera is preventing them from becoming "content creators".

Smart move, isn't it?

• “For the price it is that they expect :-)” hence I’ll be moving on and sending my gh5 back even though I have less expensive “not professional ;-)” camcorder that does better job in run-and-gun situations.

• Confucius say, "Waxing Brighton man, with verbose name, who offer new Moon and waned, NOT deserve to get kit nick'd in Pigeon Poo Scam."

Policia say, "...focus shifting slowly to Lummox GH5 theft suspects"