Personal View site logo
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • All the images and specs are in first post, remember.

Camera has 422 recording mode, do not worry.

• B&H is pleased to share Panasonic's announcement of their latest mirrorless release, the DMC-G85, which brings a familiar set of features to a new form factor. This versatile Micro Four Thirds mirrorless model utilizes the 16MP Live MOS sensor to provide a sensitivity range up to ISO 25600, 6 fps shooting with continuous autofocus, and UHD 4K recording at 30p. This 4K ability enables the use of 4K Photo Modes, too, for shooting 8MP stills at 30 fps in three ways. Five-axis sensor-shift image stabilization limits camera shake for sharper results, and supports Dual I.S. when used in conjunction with select lenses which also feature IS, for more effective overall stabilization. The ergonomic design of the body incorporates a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder and a free-angle 3.0" 1.04m-dot LCD touchscreen, and built-in Wi-Fi permits remote camera control and wireless image sharing with a mobile device. Adding to the potential of the G85 is an optional DMW-BGG1 Battery Grip, which holds two DMW-BLC12 battery packs for extended shooting time, and offers a second shutter-release button, AF/AE lock button, exposure-compensation button, and dual-control dials for more ergonomic vertical shooting.

Part of sudden B&H leak

• The G80 is very feature-rich this time around, so much so that the GH5 will have to add more than just 4K 60P in order to justify it's price premium. Feeling pretty good that the GH will be a monster of a camera with 10 bit internal, quality high speed overcranking, possible Raw recording over HDMI and maybe even an exclusive sensor.

• Any word on CineD?

• Some idea about CineLike, V-LOG and 96 or 120 fps for slow motion?

• not having 24p is kind of frustrating.

• @shoe_e

Who told that it does not have 24p?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Are you sure it does record 4:2:2 internally? The press release says UHD 100mbps as before, shouldn't it be more with 4:2:2?

• My sources sure about 422, may be it is 1080p. Who knows.

• OK, we will know for sure next week...

• This camera sounds like good enough already. Will see what extra GH5 has to offer.

• Will see what extra GH5 has to offer.

422 10bit, but also with HDR mode support, so storing all 12 bits for highlights?

• 100 mb can't handle 422. May be source told about 422 via HDMI? Good cam, but why pana didn't add slowmo (96)? I thing gh5 will have next step (120 or more), so there is no contention between g80 and gh5

• Is it possible that the DMW-BGG1 is going to be compatabile with the G7?

• Doubtful, as the G7 doesn't have the electronic contacts for the grip to interface with the camera.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't pretend to know; I'm just speculating. It just doesn't mention it in any description I've read. I've only shot 30p once in the past 5 years, so for me personally, based on what I've read, it wouldn't be a helpful device. I hope I'm wrong in my speculation, obviously. It wouldn't make sense for Panasonic to take that off their specs, especially for what's supposed to be an upgrade.

• @readbook - why can't 100mbs handle 422?

• Can be my next camera. Don't need all this 422 modes. Lack of crop is important.

• My bet is 422 1080p downsampled from 420 4K.

• The leaked press release from B&H says that: "In addition to the versatile still shooting modes, the G85 also supports recording UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) video with either 30p or 24p frames rates at 100 Mbps. Full HD 1080p/60 is also supported at 28 Mbps in the MP4 format, along with HD recording and Full HD in AVCHD". So, 1080p has also the same bitrate as G7 before. I don't know if this info leak is correct.

• All previous B&H leaks were correct.

• It is heavier by 95 grams (505 grams including battery and SD) compare to G7, more durable body.

• Darn! If it was heavier by 21 grams it could have had a soul! :-)