Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • sorry, smoke got in my eyes
  • Here is an extensive test I shot yesterday in NYC. feedback much appreciated!
    http://www.saratogaweddingvideo.com/wedding-video-blog/
  • I also update the set which can use 80% with Q=16.
    The frame size under lowlight is large a little rather than the former set of Q=18.
    And in this as well as a former patch, I-frame size keeps more than 1M also under high stress.
    Since my friend wanted 3GOP with large I-frame size, I made this. :-)

sete.zip
    552B
    176mq16fb2fl1.05tb6.4_1.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 195K
    leaves30p.JPG
    1298 x 634 - 206K
    trees30p.JPG
    1297 x 631 - 185K
    bks007.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 175K
  • @driftwood
    Thanks for your sharing and efforts. :)

I'm using your 176M GOP AQ3.
    The quality is amazing.

176Mbit/s means that sdcard should support more than 176MBit(22MByte)/s.
    So, At least class 10(20MByte/s) is required to use your Extreme settings.
    It's right??

If I use a sdcard more than 20MByte/s like a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB(45MByte/s)
    I want to get a more I Frame size.
    By changing "1080p24 Frame Limit=6108808" to more larger size,
    Is it ok?

And, Is there any plan to support more bitrate for 1080 60i?
    Relatively bitrate of 60i very low...

• With Premiere CS 5.5 (win7 64) I have a lot of difficulties to edit the content I shooted with the latest driftwood patch. Everything looks fine under vlc, but lot of "lag" with premiere (even once exported). Any idea ?
  • Probably disk i/o. You may need to use a raid drive if you are not already.
  • Number of CPUs and RAM plays a big role too, the GPU is not helping with H.264 decoding.
  • QX9770 16gb ram ssd... works like a charm with vlc. It's clearly with premiere wmv etc. so I d like to know is anyone gave a try with this patch and premiere cs 5.5. Thanks
  • I use the same setup with no problem. I also use a cuda gpu.
  • Question for those with premiere problems -- are you trying to edit the avchd naitively or with some sort of intermediate codec (I ask because a company I work with is thinking of working with premiere so any sort of information like this is very useful, especially as we'll be shooting on hacked gh2s).
  • ive just been editing the native clips since premiere transcodes for you.

i have a question for those editing in premiere, with all the high bitrate gop1 patches, what timeline should i be editing in? avc-intra 100 or avchd?
  • I work with the clips directly. Premiere does not care about the codec but only the geometry and frame rate. Just pick dslr 24p.
  • @Vitaliy
    After GOP1 great Driftwood patches, I think that the only big improvement that remains for our GH2 is a idynamic range improvement. It would possible to get it via ptools? If so, GH2 camera would be at the same level than RED or similar. Do you think so?
  • as far as premeire 5.5 working with patch reaquainted, I have no issues. At this point, I work with the 24p mts files right out of the camera. But it was a reason I upgraded across the board to i7 with 16gb ram and ssd. I knew it was just going to get worse as the patch quality went up!

Having ssd as your program/boot drive with video files on another drive(not neccessarily ssd) makes as big a diff as fast cpu. I still have stutter problems playing the post encode files with wmp, media player classic does better. My wd media player on the 1080p tv has no issues as long as the final bit rate is under 60.

I shot a lot of 720/60 with latest driftwood reaq. yesterday. I had two times where the camera just stopped recording without an error. But I also had 4 pretty long shots, 1 min plus where it worked fine. sandisk sdhc class 10.

What is the best setting we have for 720/60p? Reaquainted is more stable than the other 176ers, but still not real stable.

I've never had 24p stop. These were demanding clips with trees, running kids and 14-140 lens with long zoom ins and outs. all real world.

The two areas where the quality changes are most noticable without 400% zoom are in 720p and in the way the 24p just kicks ass holding quality when it's graded.
  • In premiere cs5 with GH2 footage, you should be choosing AVCHD and then the proper frame size and fps (1080p24). However, I just tried the preset for AVC-Intra and it seems the same with GH2 clips from the driftwood GOP1 176 v3 as I have a yelllow line in my timeline. You can always change this in a sequence, by dragging your .mts onto the "new item" icon in the bottom of the project window and premiere will setup your sequence based on your source video parameters. When I do this, it sets up a sequence in AVCHD. If you are having problems with playback, try running resolution at half. And for instant, renderless, full resolution playback of footage from these cameras, you should have a NVIDIA card that uses the mercury playback. And if you don't have the nvidia card listed, there are hacks for premiere too, that enable mercury playback.
    ppro_screen.jpg
    1616 x 908 - 124K
  • Anamorphic Test with @driftwood's reaquainted. Didn't have the time to quite do the razzle dazzle I did with the last test, but still extremely happy with the results -- everything w/the 14mm pancake except the scarecrow with the 25mm leica.

• @paglez
    No, this camera won't be a RED. How hard is that to understand? $700 vs $40.000. No 10-bit, different internals... it does amazing things with Driftwood GOP 1 but you can improve upon the hardware, only upon the codec settings and some other stuff.
  • @sohus - We have an older RED (never got it MX'd) and I'd beg to differ with you. No, the GH2 won't match the current iteration of RED, but it's damned close right now to putting out an image that rivals the first redcode images back in the day. Where will this lead with the GH2? We don't know, but continuously comparing the price of these two cameras is pointless. The only thing to compare are the images, and right now the GH2 is seriously nipping at the heals of the much bigger, much heavier older brother. Are there others on this forum who own a (or use frequently) a RED and are now using the reAQuanted patch on their GH2? What are your thoughts?
  • My university was the first one in Europe to own a RED, I know it in and out and I dare to contradict. Yes, it's all about IQ, not the price. But if you don't see the difference it's good you never bought one…

The hacked GH2 is amazing, I would take it any time as crash cam next to a RED. But the hack can't overcome the serious hardware limitations of the GH2.

If it pleases you, I'd say a very carefully exposed GH2 at 24p can come quite close to a non-MX R1 @ 120 fps handled by a not so good cameraperson and color grader.
  • I think a GH-2 and putting some good $$ into lenses is the way to go. From our experience with the GH-1 and GH-2. Those Panasonic engineers will give us some nice new features and open further hacking when the GH-3 comes out next year. We see the 95mb/s San Disk Cards. There is a ton more headroom for quality in the bandwidth. Of course if we can get 10 bit color, pretty sure we will have 1080p/60 in the next body. Who knows maybe a limited 120 frames per second in a burst mode. I wish we knew who the Panasonic GH-X engineers are, so we can send them a Christmas card.
  • @driftwood here's a Pizza in Hd with yr latest reAquanted 176 intra aq3!
    Settings : Smooth cinema mode -2-2-2-2, 50 shutter, iso 3200, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Kipon adapter. Uploaded directly the .mts file no color correction just a crazy wihte balance took during the dayligth used indoor. Smooth Cinema is slightly better for indoor.

• @Driftwood - this is insane bro. Keep it up. Did I read you wanted a donation for something somewhere - happy to help out. I know how much you have worked at this.
  • @HenryO Nope, dont want any donations. I only said everyone whoever uses the patch should donate and support @Vitaliy_Kiselev because without his continued work we would be nowhere.
    My own satisfaction is getting the hack to work for me and for you guys. :-)
  • @chef Mmmmm... thanks!!!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions