Personal View site logo
Cinematic filming- Upgrade from GH2 to GH3 worth it?
  • Ok. Just curious on other's thoughts about upgrading. I don't mind the GH2 (hacked of course!) but definitely feel it has its limits. I was considering upgrading to the GH3 and want to get feedback. Would be used mainly for cinematic type filming (short/feature film style). I like that the GH3 has a earphone plug option. Is it a good camera to take into Premiere or FCP to color grade? Is upgrade worth it in low-light situations? I would like to get a GH4 but budget wise I don't think I can cut it and 4K isn't a necessity to me.

Thanks!

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • No.

Hacked gh2 is better for video. Gh3's gains in photo aren't much. gh4's price is dropping now.

• Or get a G7... Looks to be a great value :)

• G7 4k is very good.

• In regards to the G7:

1. How are video custom settings compared to GH? Are you able to customize NR, Smooth, etc?
    2. Any issues on shutter rolling?
    3. No earphone jack correct?
    4. Same battery as GH's?
  • G7 battery the same as GH2, so good deal if you already have some battery.

I choose to get another GH3 after having a G6, then GH3 (stolen) then GH2 again. Why?

Because I need weatherproof cam with good ergonomics strong chassis and good battery life, but I dont need 4K. However 1080p60 is important to me. Also photo buffer to card times when shotting RAW are pretty horrible on GH2 and good on GH3, with also better brust rate.

A GH3 in very good shape second hand is still cheaper than a new G7.

If you don't need 4K a strong body and weatherpoofing the G6 second hand is now dirt cheap at 260€ or so.

The GH3 evf sucks, even compared to GH2... but screen is better.

• The G7 on the deals here is unbeatable value. I record 1080p onto a ninja star and I think it edges the GH4 (which I also have and use with a ninja blade)

• @mrbill

Some tests has shown that G7 has more rolling shutter in 4k than GH4. So more wobble. GH4 has it enough already. Have you seen it?

• @Vesku - no, I haven't seen those tests. I can only speak from my own experience (I don't shoot sports for instance, where rolling shutter would be an issue) and say that I think the G7 is remarkable for the money.

• I record my grandson with G7 in 4K and it's fine in regard to Rolling Shutter. I'm not whipping the camera but it's good enough IMO. Plus I shoot TV Talk Shows and Weddings so no need of whip pans. I use 4K for reframing, pan n zooms!

I have GH1 and 2 G5's. The G7 is soooooo much better in every way. It's a joy to use. GH3 battery life and weather seal is a big advantage tho. It's still an option even for me. Also an Olympyus EM5II for moving shots. IMO think about features you need most.

• I think one of the main issues I have with the GH2 is even with the hack and amazing results it still feels very video-like. I'm afraid the GH3 follows that look. Researching the G7 I can see a difference. Not sure if Maybe due to the 4K or sensor. I might have an offer for a G7 for around $400 for body only. Not bad I think.

• I can concur, the G7 is a solid choice. And such a good price! I bought two. No issues with rolling shutter here.

• @ashelton96 - one mans meat etc. I found the motion cadence of the GH2 to be very filmic, and it's the one thing I miss about it.

• @mrbill I agree with the right glass it can do some awesome shots. :) Just not what I was looking for I guess. Great camera though!