Personal View site logo
C mount Fujinon E6x14AM f/1.6 14-84mm : Conversion help & Sensor size
  • Hi all,

So I have a Fujinon E6X14AM f/1.6 14-84mm TV Zoom lens that's C mount. What I'm trying to understand is what sensor sizes this lens will be compatible with for conversion. Can anyone help me out?

Also, I wanted to know if someone could link me to a site/document that explains which dimensions on the rear mount of a lens determine which sensor sizes it will cover.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, I do have this lens, too, and it safely covers 2/3" video, 16mm film or a 4:3 image crop from an 1" sensor.

If you use it on a full 1"/Super 16mm sensor (Blackmagic Pocket, Nikon 1, Samsung NX mini, Digital Bolex), it will vignette in some zoom/aperture settings, but not badly.

It will not cover Micro Four Thirds, let alone APS-C or full frame 35mm.

• P.S.: Rear mount dimensions are not a safe indicator of sensor coverage - except that you can be sure that a lens won't cover a sensor whose dimensions exceeds the rear mount's diameter. What really counts is image circle, and that can be much smaller than the rear mount. Just take APS-C systems as an example most of which (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony a-mount and e-mount) have lens rear mount dimensions that were designed for full frame lenses.

• Thanks very much for your reply. Interestingly, I found this post in another forum about using this lens on micro 4/3. Can you comment? Thank you!

"A standard c-mount lens that fits the 16mm Bolex, Beaulieux etc. cine / movie cameras as well as - with optional adapters (not included) - modern micro4/3 cameras like the Panasonic G1, GH-1, GF-1, EP-1, EP-2 etc. It works perfectly on my GH1 without modification.

I have tried several of the TV zoom lenses out there, and this is the one I kept until now - clearly one of the better ones IMHO. Zoom and distance rings are nice and smooth. Zoom works smoothly with a short (3/4") lever that I somehow haven't captured in the pictures. Like on most other c-mount lenses that go wider than 25mm it does show some vignetting on the wide end on the m4/3 format, but in the 1:1 EZ format on my GH1 this is fully useable and the IQ is nice, turning it into a 56-336mm (35mm equivalent) at a fixed F1.6 - great for videos on that camera format. The size is also nice, it is approx 2" wide and 5" long, very compact for that focal length. Perfect for the m4/3 cameras IMHO. As an added bonus, it also works in the macro range which makes it a really versatile lens. I have used mostly prime lenses, so I am offering the zoom here but I can live with it if it doesn't sell...

Highlights: - 14-84mm (28-168mm FF35 equivalent) - fixed f1.6 throughout (!) - 2 x 5" (small)"

• In Fujinon's pattern of lens model numbers, E is an oddball. H is Fujinon's standard designation of a 2/3" single sensor lens. E would appear to be 2/3" for single-tube color cameras or slightly larger (circa early 1980s), but it's not clear how E differs from H. 12.5-75 mm f/1.4 is typical of a Fujinon 6x zoom lens in the 2/3" format.

C-Mount is a standard for everything from the 1/4" format all the way up to the 1" format, and even a few 4/3" format lenses. You can't tell the image format by knowing the mount.

The Fujinon E6x14 f/1.6 is a decent lens, but it won't come anywhere close to covering 4/3". I suggest using ETC mode on the GH2/GH3/GH4, or shooting 4k and cropping on the GH4.

• @Fujinonner: well, the person you quote actually does say that it doesn't cover Micro Four Thirds, it's just a bit obfuscated by his jargon: "but in the 1:1 EZ format on my GH1 this is fully useable". "EZ" means electronic zoom. In other words, the lens will vignette in normal recording mode. On the GH1 electronic zoom (=blown-up pixels) will mean lower image resolution, on the later GH models, you can use ETC mode ("electronic tele crop") to get 1:1 sensor pixel readout, at the price of sensor noise. In both case, the effective sensor size will be reduced to roughly that of a 1/3" video camera, and because of the crop the lens will only work as a tele zoom.

• Thank you for the clarification. That helps me understand.

Best,