Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • that I should buy a nocticron 42.5 or gh4 ? I have a gh2 helppp

• @fahrenheit Thank you. The answers on this forum are more trustworthy than the ones you get from the manufacturer... strange world. The US manual also seems to talk about a 29.59 limit. Great technical division but who does their marketing?

• @jp47 I recorded a 2.5 hour conference in FHD 1920x1080 25P as MOV file format with no issues. It only used half the battery! The only issue I had was a one frame gap in the audio at the end of each spanned clip when joining the clips in FCPX. I always record a separate audio only feed, so it was not an issue. If I shoot AVCHD, the clips will join without that issue. I have not tried joining in other editing software yet.

• @caveport were you using an Australian GH4?

• Artardi, it depends on what you shoot and what lens you already have. The GH4 is a huge upgrade for me because I need the new features. But, I don't think I would care much for it if I had a crappy lens.

• there is no limit in australia for mov never has been. its only EU that has it

• @artardi i'd get that 42.5mm BUT I already have the GH4 lol. My early xmas present to myself that lens =)

• @jp47 Yes and shooting in Australia too.

• @fahrenheit, @MRfanny, @caveport Thank you all. Ordered from Gerry Gibbs today. I'll try to make the next big decision by myself - sell the GH2 or G6.

• Shot on Lumix GH4 at 96p (closup's) and 1080p50 mode (longshots)
    CinelikeV preset (Sharpness -5, NR -5), no colors changed at post.
    Lenses used: Lumix 7-14, Lumix 12-35, Nokton 42.5 0.95, Nokton 25 0.95, Nokton 17.5 0.95.
    Rabbit shot with 35-100 2.8 with ExTele mode.

• My 3rd anamorphic test.
    This afternoon I took my unfinished contraption (still waiting for the proper clamp) on the road, straight into the Tel Aviv Saturday evening traffic.

Shot in Tel Aviv, Oct. 25th, 2014 using a Panasonic GH4 in 4K Photo Mode, 3:2 aspect ratio, Cine D.
    Lenses: Helios 44/2 58mm, Rectimascop 48/2x anamorphic.
    Music by Jimi Hendrix.
    Edited and graded with FCPX.

• @izash What fps did you film your anamorph videos in? I'm waiting on Panasonic to unlock the new aspect ratios in 24fps. I haven't even updated the firmware yet until I hear more news

• Music video with gh4, cinelike D and some Luts.

• Total noob question here but does anyone know have to switch this off? Some sort of auto focus thing (circled in red) Cheers

10751758_10204525059462656_2025110810_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 198K
  • Do you mean switch off the autofocus function? Or something else?

• @v10tdi how to turn off the auto focus function so as not to get this 'box' showing all the time. Thanks!

• Maybe switch to manual focus mode? Or you could use the GH4 operation manual to find the answer. The box is showing the focus area used on the lcd touchscreen.

• @caveport Looked in the manual... No luck. This box is in every mode too, I understand this is a focus function but I don't won't it on my screen all the time. Tried every setting in the cam to try to turn if off. Has been on right out of the box. Never had this with other GH cams. Thanks

• I think you can alter the "box" by changing the AF mode from "1-Area" AF to something else. For example, you can turn the "box" shape into a "+" shape if you change the AF mode to "Pinpoint." But that is using a functional change in camera operation to achieve a change in the display. I'm not sure if you want to do that?

I would guess that the closest you can come to a similar AF function with a different display is the "Custom Multi" AF function and set a similar area to the "1-Area" AF mode.

I hope this was helpful.

• I have mine set for a small + and like it that way. During Video recording, I have my GH4 set for touch screen. The + is the main focus point. It also effects the light metering. When I touch the screen a small set of squares or one larger one will show temporarily. Then they fade away leaving only the + where I moved it. Without that showing, I would not remember to move it when my main subject moves. i.e. The Pastor at our Church often moves from next to the Projector Screen to next to a Chart on an easel. When next to the bright Screen, he will become very dark unless I move the focal point and sometimes I need to move it to the unlit Chart to make it easier to read.

• Thanks guys, do you still have that box in manual mode too? With my gh3 you don't. When you guys have you gh4 in manual mode do you have the box on the screen all the time like mine?

• @azza_act In "1-Area" AF mode, I still see the box when switching to MF on the GH4, however the aspect of the box changes from a square to a rectangle that has slightly more width than height.

• Here is my first go with the GH4 time lapse features.