Personal View site logo
GH4 wishlist
  • 90 Replies sorted by
  • I don't even care if they suck another life cycle out of the gh2 sensor, just make a body that can handle a proper cine lens without flexing all over the place. live hdmi out, 4:2:2 8bit is fine for my needs, If I want 10 bit, im going with sony anyways, they seem to get the big picture. AND FOR GOD SAKE, PLEASEEEE, PLEASEEEE, FIX THE F---ING COLOR SHIFT WHEN THE RECORD BUTTON IS PRESSED, my 1999 Panasonic pvdv710, didn't have a color shift, why in gods name in 2014 we cant get the same picture after we press record !!!!!! It might help to know what were going to get after we press record. How in their wacky mind it was ok to release a camera that changes what the image looks like after record is pressed. dahhhhh

• I think that the color shift is due to levels limit when starting video recording AVCHD. LCD shows full range but when starting video it shows limited range 16-235 and levels and even colors shift. Especially if you have something other than standard 0,0,0,0.

• I think that in the request for this wish-list, less something very important: a better SEALING !!!! Is not acceptable that the flash trap and the SD Card trap don't have any protections !!!

• All I want is a GH3 that can shoot in 4K at 24p, and have the info on the LCD not disappear after a while.

• 422 10 bit, better EVF, up to 120fps in HD. Not much to ask.

• yup, screw 4K, I want what @nobbystylus asked for!

But still, even though I don't need 4K, is exciting to hear the GH4K will be out next month! :-D

• 5 axis inbody image stabilizer would be perfect.... But 422, better evf and 120fps@hd as @nobbystalus states is essential.

• 5 axis inbody image stabilizer would be perfect

In body stabilizer will be disaster for such camera.

Sensor based stabilization prevents proper sensor cooling.

• This is a wish list, and not a "technically feasible" list, but here's what I'd like to have: a camera that creates both a 4K file and a 1920x1080 file of each take.

Why? I can't afford a computer that can edit 4K video. So, why not let me have a file I can edit? And when I do need a 4K master, I'd have my old footage ready to use.

In the meantime, I guess I could simply create 1920x1080 versions of the 4K files, and edit those. But this'd make it worthwhile to buy the camera now, and upgrade the computer later (instead of having to do it all at once).

• 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, 10bit or 12bit in 2K with mbs>100 is all I want. 4K can wait, there's no need to put it right now. Almost nobody owns a 4K TV and even Theater aren't all equipped with 4K projector. 4K sounds purely useless to have at the moment and is strictly for the very high end line of devices.

• @GeoffreyKenner If I were shooting Upstream Color 2: Electric Boogaloo, I would shoot it in 4K. It would yield a really cripsp 2K image.

• 4:2:2 8bit 1080p50 ALL-I @ 100-150mbps with reduced noise and dynamic range at 13 stops. Also peaking and zebras.

• I really, really, really wish for the Implementation of 3 extra modes:

A Sonic emofeedback camera will recognise your state of mind and when shooting stills or right after pausing the recording of a shot will immediately feedback you with sound and phrases; with (at least) 4k options, i.e.

• EGOTRIPPING - fart sound / 2 Hrs of Philip Blooms advices on any other camera / very laud scream of contempt / etc.
    • 50/50 - It's OK seen worst / Keep it as a hobby / sweet mother of jesus, have you seen that ass? / etc.
    • SUICIDAL - Oh God, oh God, oh God / You're the man!! / fssshh you're on fire baby!! / etc.
    • =(&%$¢∞@£‰¶£∞⁄•{‡ø9u÷{∏/&∞5!!!! Non stop ramdom Tourette mambojambo swearing

A Universe dematerialisation button, obviously with a warning message "Did you save your clips and close your zipper? This option is not undoable... as universe as we know it will no longer exist!"

An Alcoholometer with (at least) 4k submenus, examples

• no point in lying to me, I already know
    • no point in telling me the truth, I'm driving anyway
    • no point in telling me anything, I'm fucking this bitch (polizei)
    • your dragon breath has activated Universe dematerialisation option, thank you for using Pana(fart sound)sonic products
  • 11-12 stops DR and I will be happy.

• I love my Panasonic 12-35 2.8 lens, but I'm in the process of rigging the crap out of my GH3 just so I can add follow focus. I won't be able to accurately focus with that lens because of the variable response feature of the focus by wire lens, so I will also be buying new lenses, oh yes and a 5" external monitor with peaking. If I could just gracefully shift focal plane with the 12-35 I wouldn't need any of this, but here I am spending at least what the original camera and lens cost to get that one feature. So here is my wish item for the GH4(which really could be possibly implemented on the GH3 too). Add a menu item which allows a speed to be set for the external LCD touch focus feature, and then code in one touch for focusing on object closer in field, and two quick touches for focusing on object farther in the field. Now I can have a more cinematic transition from one plane to another with no searching. Does anybody else see value in something like this?

• @maxr

I always wanted Galaga or Space invaders to be implemented in any piece of gear with display. And wi-fi sync online leader-board that we can keep sticky on the forum. Now that would be great.

Or a "through lens" first person shooter, you have to focus onto an enemy to kill them, like focusing practice game. And leader-board of course .

• @inqb8tr man, those are great ideas, don't forget tetris ,-)
    Maybe you could kill by putting a "nail-focus" on them, ja ja ja. A sticky something, perhaps next to insect repellant ultrafreq wavinator and before aura/chakra tracking mode menu. A leader board sound soooo fracking good, hey do you want to kickstart those concepts?!! :P • Cheers mate

• My wishes or my dreams:

1)Best -Resolution: 2048x1080 from a 4K sensor (down-sampling for a superb quality images that can be used directly in a DCP without upscaling from 1080 or downscaling from 4K) -Sampling: 4:4:4 -14 or 12 bit

2)Average (but still very decent) -2048x1080 from a 2K sensor. -4:2:2 -10bit

3)Bad (It would mean Panasonic only added 4:2:2 sampling compared to a GH2.) -4K -4:2:0 (can become 4:2:2 once you down-sample to 2K) -8bit

Real 24p option, not 23.976 would be awesome too. Better articulated screen with more color balance option to calibrate properly. 100mbs minimum.

• I am waiting for years for a good viewfinder! Should have 3Mio dots resolution minimum, should be tiltable, and should have a certain size. Someone talked about 21mm. That would be reasonable. If it is located on the left side of the camera: all the better.

• @inqb8tr

Vesku: "lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera"

inqb8tr: "I don't understand how this could work on an intercahngeable lens camera."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/29/olympus-three-new-micro-four-thirds-lenses-bevy-of-new-accessories-unveiled

In the bottom of page:

"Finally, the Automatic Opening Lens Cap LC-37C is an unusual cap that works only with the new M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ lens. When the camera is switched off, the cap automatically closes. Switch it back on, and the cap opens. Couldn't be easier!"

Something like that.

cap1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 33K
    cap2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 37K
    lenscap.jpg
    236 x 236 - 9K
  • Larger Monitor that actually shows what is being recorded.

Larger buttons (especially the record button) with each one programmable to all functions including Aperture, ISO, Magnify, Shutter speed, Zoom etc.

Info (display) button that shows a cycle with ISO, Shutter speed, Aperture, recorded and time left, mic and headset level, etc. at the same time.

Ability to easily change all settings while recording in Manual Movie Mode.

Unlimited recording in MP4.

Double the usable High ISO capability.

Change front wheel from vertical to horizontal so I can change settings with one hand while holding- adjusting lens with other.

At least one custom setting for each Photo Style in addition to "default".

• Uh, except for the finalized body, it looks like Panasonic has already decided on the specs. according to CES reporting. I would assume NAB 2014 will be the unveiling.

I just wonder how good the moire and aliasing from poorly implemented pixel binning will look in 2160p and whether it truly will have a 10 bit codec.

Also doubt it would have a global shutter (absolutely necessary) at the MSRP Panasonic has bandied about.

• GH4k is approaching, but is it gonna be any good. The GH3 wasn't really that big a step up over a hacked GH2 especially using Moon T7 which is awesome and you can really push the image in the grade.

What should (but won't) be the minimum spec would include; Apple Prores (like the Black Magic as H264 is old and redundant now), no color shift in the LCD (still can't believe they released the GH2 like that, thought that wouldn't have made it pass the QC checks), 4:2:2 10bit uncompressed HDMI and/or SDI, log color profiles, RAW would be nice but not necessary, oh and lets not forget peaking. Global shutter would be nice, but lets be realistic, they are not gonna give us that. Also slow mo at 120fps at minimum 1080p or even 240fps. Most people that use DSLRs are already used to recording audio externally, so lets hope Panasonic put everything into a good picture, if not I can just see the GH4K failing miserably and people spending their money on the Blackmagic or whatever is next in Canons lineup.

• @thougts2uk

After all GH4 will be a consumer camera for big audience. I think that 4:2:2 and 10bit is left for pro line of Panasonic. GH3 has already very good audio.

I think also that there is and will be a big leap with all generations of GH line. I consider GH3 video and features easily better than hacked GH2 ( I have both).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions