Personal View site logo
Ultimately, GH2 hacked or GH3, what is better for you and why?
  • A simple question, based on your experience.

• 77 Replies sorted by
  • image wise only, gh2 for me. but i think it's personal preference, depending on what image you want to achieve.

• Moon T7 is a slightly better image than GH3 .mov at low ISOs in good light, the GH2 EVF is better than the GH3s, but in every other way the GH3 wins (low light, dynamic range, stills, timelapse, ergonomics, LCD etc wtc).

• I agree with nobbystylus. had both cameras but if I was buying today, and could only have one, it be the GH3.

• GH2 all the way. I have both, and the way GH2 handles overrall texture with moonT7 is incredible. I think it has allot to do with the size of the sensor, its really more close to original 35mm 4:3 aspect, NOT super35. So the bockeh and focal lenghts are quiet special.

Take in mind that GH3 has smaller sensor, and its sony made. Panasonic with their NMOS sensors has achived to "merge" CCD tech with CMOS tech, and belive me they look special over other Pure CMOS sensors. Thats tha hardware WHY of the Pana MOJO. THe dynamic range si lower on GH2 but if handled well is not that dramatic.

GH3 better codec, better implementation, not better sensor (for me), only in low light. THwe EVF its shure superior.

• I forgot.. GH2 is more forgiving with white balance and skin tones!! Still won't giving my GH3 back though!!

• I sent GH3 back, crop factor just too much for me and had just installed moonT7 on GH2 which is sooo nice.

• MoonT7 over GH3 for me too. Before MoonT5 I might have leaned towards GH3, but not anymore, there is just something magical about that Moon image. Also, I don't like the Sony sensor look of the GH3. It can be corrected away for the most part, but not without some work. Moon just looks fantastic right out of the gate (even better once you balance the green channel a little bit). As for the GH2 dynamic range, I've found with Moon I can expose more for highlights (when appropriate) and dig WAY deeper into the darks.

• As for the GH2 dynamic range, I've found with Moon I can expose more for highlights (when appropriate) and dig WAY deeper into the darks.

true true

• Is there a way around the 30min record time limit on the GH3? That 's the one decisive pro-GH2 point for me.

• I have shooted in same situations with hacked GH2 (Motionflow 2.0) and GH3. My findings for IQ:

-First photos: GH3 has better resolution despite smaller sensor and fewer pixels. Sensor is much better in contrast, clarity, dyn range, colors, flare, diffusion, everything. GH3 4600pix is better than GH2 5000pix.

-In video GH3 has better resolution despite of any hack. It has just a bit more moire but I think that is due to better resolution. It is a compromise because neither could read the whole sensor when downsampling. Moire is not a problem with normal shooting unless you do video of buildings or fences.

-Gh2 has good video IQ in highlights and midtones but shadows are blurry and no hack could help much for that. It is the same situation for photos. When shooting indoors in reasonable light GH3 video is much nicer and more colorful. GH2 video is somehow muted and dead.

-GH3 has better dyn range and that also gives more natural looking colors almost all the time. That affects resolution and texture too. GH2 struggles with blown highlights and color burn almost in any light. It is still better than camcorders.

-GH3 reads sensor a bit faster so it has less rolling shutter.

-GH2 has less color by default. GH3 color is closer generally to all other DSRLs. I still like GH2 colors.

-GH3 default sharpening is worse than GH2. It sharpens thick parts of video more than thin lines and fine structure. But with sh-5 GH3 has very pleasant sharpness when sharpening in post properly.

-Gh2 automatic exposure is too sensitive to light changes. GH3 works slower and exposure dont jump so much.

-When comparing features GH3 wins easily (better autofocus, 60P, LCD, I even prefer GH3 EVF although it is soft. Gh2 wider sensor is still handy for landscape photos and videos.

• @Vesku GH3 "Moire is not a problem with normal shooting unless you do video of buildings or fences." -seems like a deal breaker to me, but, I have no GH3 experience, I am still on my 2xGH2 & 1xGH1 set up.

Do you find the GH3 moire is a significant problem... on buildings and fences?

I am selling the GH1 soon & considering a G6 as replacement.

• @nobbystylus

That is disappointing to hear about the EVF in the GH3, I already think the EVF in my GH2 is terrible.

• It just make no sense at current price points to get GH2 instead of GH3.

• I'd suggest get the G6 cheaply (it is going for under $500 when on sale) and wait for the future GH4K/GH5 to arrive.

• I'd suggest get the G6 cheaply (it is going for under $500 when on sale) and wait for the future GH4K/GH5 to arrive.

Never ever do this. Simple because its size, build quality and because it lacks live HDMI output during recording.

• There isn't that much in the GH2<>GH3 EVF to be honest. GH2 is definitely a bit sharper. The colour balance is my main gripe with GH3 but I think its solvable by careful use of settings and post. Generally the GH2 sits in my kit bag as a back up body and very little else. The GH3 is superior in nearly every other way.

• I find the GH2 better for live long documentation work. Spanning hack like sanity is pretty good because these jobs require spanning. However the clincher is the GH2 evf that allows me to nail focus in those difficult situations. Find it hard to nail focus in live dark situation (theater documentation) with the Gh3 evf.

For composed shots where I have more time to focus I like the GH3. For photos the GH3 For 50p GH3 For non green colour cast Gh3 (Yaks LUT seems promising).

• I've noticed that the GH3 EVF is much better if you don't have your picture profile set to -5 sharpness!! Turn it back up to 0 and the EVF is more usable...

• Call me crazy but I choose to buy a GH2 because of the noise/grain it had. The pattern looks remarkably beautiful. This is one of the reason I stick to it and I haven't sold it to buy then a GH3.

I know I'm sick! But it hasn't let me down on single time.

• I like the thing that GH3 have no noise at all with proper settings.

• If U are a proffesional filmaker with no doubt take gh3. But If U are making videos for youtube, vimeo,small short films etc You will not see the big diffrence. take gh2 and save 300 bucks (with this U can buy good lens).

• If U are a proffesional filmaker with no doubt take gh3. But If U are making videos for youtube, vimeo,small short films etc You will not see the big diffrence. take gh2 and save 300 bucks (with this U can buy good lens).

This is in so many ways wrong.

wrong wrong bad boy

• So some obviously think that GH2 is better in some area. Not IQ still I think, maybe moire.

• Lets put it this way... If it wasn't for Moon T7, the GH3 would be an absolute run away winner.

If the GH3 hack ever happens however, and Driftwood gets to work on a 'Moon for GH3'... wow..