Personal View site logo
Zoom H6, first modular audio recorder presented
  • Some specifications

• 6-channel portable recorder equipped
    • 4 XLR/jack mic inputs
    • two microphones are included
    • you can attach two additional jacks (making it up to 6)

Available at:

• 68 Replies sorted by
  • Price for recorder expected to be 400 EUR (so about $400 in US).

It'll have add on for two extra XLR plugs and also shotgun addon.

• I think it is super cool.

tascam made recorder to be mounted below camera, it is made to be mounted on top, with tilted screen.

• I think it is super cool too.

I think I'm still leaning towards the DR-60D, but it's sure nice to have more options these days.

I wonder which of the two will have better preamps?

• I think I'm still leaning towards the DR-60D, but it's sure nice to have more options these days.

I moved towards DR-680 as they are especially cheap now :-) Don't like 60D much.

• Does it replace H4n?

• @stonebat

Nope. It is 6 channel recorder after all.

If preamps will be good, full set (+2 XLR and shotgun) will be quite popular.

• This is great. I have the Roland R-26 which I like, but always wish I had one or two more inputs. Also nice to not have to deal with the extra bulk of the onboard mics if you don't need them. If the preamps on this are good (like Vitaly is hoping as well), this will be the ideal solution for me. Hopefully lower noise than the H4n which I had but wasn't very happy with.

• Interesting. VK, is there a hot shoe adapter to mount it on camera?

• Cool. I am sure the preamps are improved as well.

• Is is me or do ZOOM products tend to look like space ships from 70s B-grade TV shows?

I wonder how modular they intend it to be, if that mount will allow third party attachments. Some sort of radio mic attachment would be handy.

• Shotgun - Zoom have the MS microphone technology which made AKG's superb stereo shotguns. I wonder if the shotgun will be MS stereo? Indeed, I would bet a beer on it, as there are two stereo channels available, after all... (the leftmost pair of level bars).

• Very interesting... Real question for me about this is type of battery...

• @gabilourson 4 AA batteries. Interesting product (if preamps are good) but too bad there isn't an internal batterie + AA like on my DR100 mk2. Here's all specs available on zoom website :

Alt text

• The world's first handy recorder with interchangeable mic system
    • XY mics capture remarkable stereo depth and clarity
    • Mid-side mics provide continuously variable stereo width
    • Four XLR/TRS inputs for external mic/line connections
    • Up to six channels of simultaneous recording
    • High-definition audio of up to 24-bit/96kHz
    • 6-in/2-out USB audio interface
    • Over 20 hours of operation with 4 AA batteries
    • Supports SDXC memory cards up to 128GB
    • Optional Shotgun mic and external XLR/TRS inputs available
  • Looks interesting. If the specs above are accurate, the "20 hours of operation with 4 AA batteries" (phantom power disabled, I presume) is much longer than the Tascam DR-60. That could be a decisive factor for many people.

• Not sure it’ll have phantom power, though. Not enough juice. Even if they are connected in series, the four AA batteries will only put out six volts (and forget about “20 hours of operation”).

Having said that, I have a Zoom H1. It operates from a single AA battery and lives up to its advertised 10+ hours of operation, all the while powering my RØDE lav mic.

• Any word on availability?

• Zoom H2n makes it up to some 17 hrs with 2 batteries, what is huge improvment compared to the first H2 model.

Zoom H4n makes it with only two AA batteries and phantom power on (with 2 mics) some 4-5 hrs. In stamina mode, it could record much longer- but I didn't use it at all for 44.1 kHz isn't my preference (not sure if stamina even supports phantom)

I don't expect H6 to extend battery life in the same scale like the H2n compared to H2 did, but with its 4 batteries it will have much higher power capacity, so I guess following max batt life times:
    - 3 hrs with 6 mics and phantom on
    - 5 hrs with 4 mics and phantom on
    - 11 hrs with 2 mics and phantom on
    - additional jack input won't make big difference for max rec time which will easily extend 20 hrs without using phantom power

@Mr_Moore the new H6 will ceirtanly not use 4 instead of 2 batteries to double voltage inside the device, but to increase battery life times- but using 4-6 phantom powered XLR inputs will drain lots of the juice. Yet, even 3 hrs with 6 phantom powered XLRs would be just great!

Amazing, the optional extention for total 6 XLR's

• I'm really interested in the Zoom H6, if the preamps are usable. However, 2 clean preamps with phantom power are more important for me than 6 noisy ones. As the Zoom website doesn't state phantom power, I'm wondering if the H6 won't offer it.

• "However, 2 clean preamps with phantom power are more important for me than 6 noisy ones." Absolutely! I think at this moment of other possibilities out there, that is the key for its success or not. But the modular idea is super cool! Finally! ;)

• And a little more info on the H6. Of course it has phantom power (subject to battery life), and the video claims to have redesigned the pre-amps with a lower noise floor.

http://gizmodo.com/zooms-new-h6-audio-recorder-will-make-any-dslr-filmmak-513200479

Here are the key specs:

• Six tracks of simultaneous recording
    • Four interchangeable input capsules: stereo X/Y (included), Mid-Side (included), Shotgun (optional) & combo dual XLR/TRS (optional).
    • Large full-color display for easy viewing of recording and playback levels
    • Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 128 gigabytes
    • Compatible with MP3 and BWF-compliant WAV file formats, including 24-bit / 96k for ultimate HD audio
    • Four XLR/TRS combo jacks to connect external microphones or line-level devices each with their own gain control, pad switch AND phantom power in three different voltages
    • USB port for data transfer to audio editing software and allows for H6 to serve as multichannel audio interface for computer and tablets
    • Connects to DSLR or digital camcorder
    • Runs on 4 AA batteries for up to 20 hours.