Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Although the GH-3 is pretty much out of my price range right now, I've been following developments closely.

As I imagine we all have.

From what I've been able to gather, getting good video is just a matter of learning what settings the camera likes best.

Although I'm willing to grant that it may not be perfect, I don't expect perfection.

And believe the bias here is so strongly in favor of the GH-2, the new camera may have a lot to live up to.

As to me, it seems that with the two fast zooms, and ultimately improved auto focus, this is a dangerous weapon.

Heretofore I've been shooting my GH-2 with primes, and a Small HD.

Even with my tired old eyes, I've been able to focus reasonably well.

Although when I went back through the footage of one of my shoots, I'm am literally begging for a focus.

"Please," I pleaded.

God know what the model thought!

So.

With the two fast zooms, one can apparently with reasonable confidence, shoot away.

I like this idea.

In the meantime, I've ordered the Nokton 25 to match my 17.5.

Recently, I told a beautiful model that I wanted to "fill the screen with... your eyes... your lips."

Vis a vis the model, this may or may not pay off.

But the Nokton 25mm f 0.95 will allow me to do this.

With indoor, available light.

RBD

• @vas907, yes GH3 does record in 1080 60p at 50mbps

• Sorry I meant the GH3.

• The GH2's never shot 1080/60p AFAIK, just 720/60p.

• So does the GH2 still shoot 50mb at 1080 60p?

• @LenserRanchoMirage You're too close for missiles switch to guns. [50M]

• Hi Vitalyi, I've been shooting tests with my brand new GH-3.....and I must say....there is a surprising level of noise in shadow areas, even at highest bit rate of 72 mbits/sec in H264. In fact the Vitalyi-hacked GH-1 produces CLEANER video than the factory GH-3 does!! I hope that your hack of the GH-3 will be able to address the noise issue (just made a $10 donation towards the effort) None of these noise problems were mentioned in Philip Bloom's initial review (of GH-3 prototype). It gets worse: shooting a daytime exterior of a mini-mall, the dark green awning of Starbucks was buzzing like crazy.....forced me to add noise reduction. (Shot without pushing gain, i.e. at 200 ASA and plenty of stop) The camera absolutely struggles in low light situation when you push the gain past 800ASA....image just falls apart. By the way I noticed no difference in image quality between high bit rate AVCHD and high bit rate H264 (.mov). I bought the GH-3 primarily for its theoretical 60p capability (apply 40% speed setting to 60p shoot mode to achieve slow mo) , but the bit rate goes down to roughly 20 mbits/sec max. It's an extrapolated slow mo sort of like a low rent Varicam, but it'll do for the budget. Looking forward to hear from other GH-3 users re their experiences.

• also tested various settings in Custom mode (up to +5 NR) but no difference

• @jfilmmaker I'm using the follow focus that came with my shoulder rig, the Fancierstudio one, and it does work although not perfectly. For manual focus, I always use the Assist Manual Focus (the zoom feature) as I find it difficult to do without it.

• @SuperSet Is there a follow focus that's compatible with the Voigtlander? On the GH3, is the viewfinder good enough to determine sharp focus? I'm trying to figure out how feasible rack focuses' are with the Voigtlander. Thx!

@Tron You have any Moiré issues as well with the lens on patterned shirts, etc.? How would you rate cinematic-type rack focuses on the GH3 ala autofocus, touch screen? Thx!

• @Manu4Vendetta The only GH2 footage I have online that's w/the 25mm PL is in the start of a demo reel here... shot 1, 2 and 4 -

Those were shot mostly wide open, probably not the best examples but I liked 'em at the time. There's something special about the way the Leica renders an image. And there's no vignetting on the GH3, whereas it seemed to vignette noticeably on the GH2 wide open. The vignette elimination may be a combination of the increased crop and in camera lens correction, not completely sure.

@SuperSet I'm going to run some focus tracking tests, but I like lumix lenses for those times when I shoot event coverage and I run in AF-S mode and just roll the cam and then half press the shutter on each subject I isolate. I've found it to be accurate thus far and it saves me the time of having to punch in the magnification to manually focus (that is also tough when people are moving around).

• @jfilmmaker Hey man, I've found the GH3 to have pretty good AF but it does still hunt. Since I now run a shoulder rig, I prefer to just manual focus now. I haven't done many building shots with the Voigtlander but could post some sample video later this week, if you'd like. I have seen some moire when filming people that wear patterned shirts or sweaters.

• @SuperSet Auto focusing issues still exist on Panny 25mm when used with GH3? How would Voigt do with shooting buildings, street traffic, etc.?

@Tron thanks for input... Tough decisions....

• @Tron @jfilmmaker I've had the Leica 25mm f/1.4 for over a year with my GH2 and used it some now with my GH3. Excellent lens, very sharp and rich colors. And in low light, it definitely performs well. I now use the Voigtlander 25mm with my GH3 and one of the reasons I switched over is that it is a pain to manual focus with the Leica 25mm. You certainly could use the AFC/AFS with the Leica but IME, it hasn't been that reliable. Plus the Voigtlander has a slightly, more creamy and softer look around its edges and the colors are not as vibrant so the image quality is definitely different compared to the Leica. Hope that helps.

• @Tron. Do you have shots on vimeo or youtube of the GH2 wth the PanaLeica 25mm 1.4?

• @shian @collierlandry

Great discussion. I think your experiences with getting the best out of the GH3 is what many others are finding. Once people figure out the best practices with the camera we will see its true ability. People forget that the GH2 has had 2 years of messing with to squeeze every possible ounce out of it.

My take on the GH2 vs the GH3 is that the GH2 image is at its peak. It will never be able to improve more where the GH3 in it stock state competes and exceeds in several areas (which are important to me but not everyone). The GH3 is full of potential still.

The 'to upgrade or not' comes down to if you find $1300 expensive ($800 after selling GH2 and bits). For me its worth every penny to upgrade for others it may not be.

• After expressing a few opinions about the GH3 based on others sample footage, I finally got to test it myself. Side by side with the same lens, a Nikon 50mm 1.4. My first impression is that this is a serious camera, it feels wonderful, it looks sexy... I wanted to buy it just for that. After doing an indoor and outdoor test, I easily noticed where the GH3 had more DR in the shadows in all kinds of situations, it was actually a lot easier to see than I was expecting. In terms of highlights, I'm not sure if I like the roll off, the GH2 seemed to be smoother outdoors with bright sun washing over skin. The noise is considerably improved, it really looks decent now at 1600iso. The improvements are undeniable.

That said, even after getting to use the camera myself along side my GH2, I'm not completely convinced at buying one new for the price they're currently at. In terms of image... I'll side with the minority here on personal-view and say that I do prefer the GH2's image for about 70-80% of the stuff I shoot (If I use phrases like more "cinematic, filmic, better motion cadence- I know I'm gonna get an arrow through my head... so I won't go there : ). The remainder, in which I might find myself shooting in low light, in need of higher ISO's, higher res slow mo, and more DR in shadowy areas, I would really like to have something like the GH3 handy.

If I could get my hands on a BMC, I don't think I'd even be giving the GH3 any consideration at the moment... but it is what it is. It just might be worth picking up and playing with in the meantime though.

• @jfilmmaker I have been shooting a lot with the Pana-Leica 25mm 1.4 and it has been going superb. Reviewing brickwork and chainlink fences in my footage, no moire issues have cropped up yet. It is quite sharp however, so you'll want maintain the lower sharpening settings to achieve the softer look that you prefer. The thing I like about it over the voigt is the ability to use autofocus in stills or video. This opens up the possibility of using the improved focus tracking feature for unique shots where a follow focus may be less than ideal.

• @shian, thanks for the candid straight up honest test. its great to see you two share your insights, I got a good feeling for the different cameras and there positives and negatives.

Good Job guys.

• @shian Very cool, just watched it, can't wait to see 50mbps.

Question all - debating between Voigtlander 25mm and Panny 25mm (video). On GH3, does Panny 25mm have any issues (aliasing/moire due to correction) that would influence decision? In low light on GH3 is Voigtlander significantly better?

• Тhanks again guys! Redemption is considered)

• @shian @collierlandry

Thanks for doing this fellas!

• @Shian.. It's not a 23.6 MP camera either, but your buddy did say 26.3 mp.