Personal View site logo
GH1 Can it still be improved
  • Its been over a year since the first hacks rolled out for the GH1 and what a great ride its been. With great thanks to Vitaliy and others the GH2 has entered the scene with much promise. I love my GH1 and I'm still prefer it to the look my GH2 offers even with the hack. I was wondering if there will be any future developments based on the findings we now have from both cameras and whether they could be introduced into improving ptools for the GH1.
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • That would be nice, I've been wondering the same. This probably has nothing to do with firmware as far as i know, but I've been reading up on the severe vertical banding issue, mine has it severely in low light or underexposed shots I've tried everything except neat video I refuse to use it it either clears up or I sell it on eBay and i really don't want to do that. Anyway as i've used it more and more in bright daylight exposing shots correctly it's now less noticeable and my guess is it will continue to clear up as I use it, my theory is sun light. Now as i look through the view finder or at a recorded shot in post, i notice there is zero vertical banding on the left and right of the picture, i repeat zero in all the usual areas. In the middle of the frame remains a very light trace of it, weeks ago hours of shooting to the best of my ability almost every shot was rendered useless at low (100) and high iso (640). In a month or so I believe it would of cleared up completely. The frames I've attached shows zero vertical banding. Untouched in post.
    Screen shot 2011-09-24 at 2.09.07 AM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Screen shot 2011-09-24 at 2.09.03 AM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Screen shot 2011-09-24 at 2.08.58 AM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Screen shot 2011-09-24 at 2.09.01 AM.png
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
  • [ frames appear softer than they actually are not sure why this is but anyway, no vertical banding]
  • Great clips @rains
    Unfortunatly vertical banding is an issue in the GH1 with unerexposed scenes. It does a beautiful job in well lit areas. I avoid anything above 500 iso. I use manual mode for most scenes and have found that S mode will help vertical banding in low lit scenes. Lets hope their is still room for improvement in other areas.
  • Chris will get his GH1 body this week, as it'll basis for deep film modes research.
    It requires big time, of course, but it can be major archivement for all Panasonic models.
  • Thanks Rigs, I suspected S as well but I'm stubborn and wanted to shoot in M, when my matte box and other gear turn up I'll try S along with your Patch :)

Sounds promising Vitaliy.
  • Thats encouraging news Vitaliy
  • Chris will get his GH1 body this week, as it'll basis for deep film modes research. It requires big time, of course, but it can be major archivement for all Panasonic models.

@VK @cbrandin hi there.... is this research from September 2011 still alive, or aside for a while? ....hopefully not dead? I'm kind of having similar attitude to the GH1 like @rigs does and I'm just curious.