Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
We are not alone in universe!
  • FCP X users are not alone now.

iWork & iLife apps go for simplicity

An increasing number of users have taken to Apple’s support forums to voice concerns over the removal of features as the apps receive new simplified user interfaces that bring them more in line with the iOS versions.

iWork 13 has been a huge disappointment and nothing more than a downgrade to match the capabilities of the iOS iWork apps.

It comes down to this. Apple has discontinued Pages in its entirety. You can no longer download it or purchase it, and Apple won’t support it.

Effectively Applescript support is gone. Numbers doesn’t even have a dictionary. And Pages has had nearly everything removed.

Via

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • I'm a big Pages user, invoices, reports, proposals, etc...seems to be working pretty well in Mavericks.

• thanks god 4 the company.
    I really don't care much for those, but - despite adobe support abism - I tested drive Lr 5.2 in mavs and fliessss.
    Vitaliy I see you're pushing forward the thread titling poetry, je je

• Vitaliy I see you're pushing forward the thread titling poetry

I am improving in this regard, yep :-)

• Seems like they also added few surprises to OS X:

Mavericks tries to put the CPU into an idle state whenever possible. Powering the processor back up to a ready state also requires a significant amount of energy, so it’s important to extend that power-sipping idle time long enough to provide a real reduction in energy use. The problem is that most applications aren’t aware that the processor is taking a break.

Apple developed App Nap, a feature that works behind the scenes to better manage the work that open apps are doing. Essentially, App Nap senses when an app isn’t doing anything and puts that app into a low-power state. This state involves timer throttling, which reduces an app’s need to use the CPU; I/O throttling, which gives the app low priority for accessing storage or a network connection; and priority reduction, which assigns an app a smaller portion of a CPU’s processing time. Apple says App Nap can reduce the amount of power that apps are using by as much as 23 percent.

If an app is playing audio, downloading a file from a server or the Internet, or doing something else in the background that requires the full attention of your Mac’s resources, App Nap will not activate. Also, software developers can write their apps so as to disable App Nap.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2057226/get-to-know-os-x-mavericks-under-the-hood.html

To be short - we are going the way of iOS, Windows 8 full screen mode and such. Where writing normal multitasking app becomes more and more complicated.

Haswell was last big leap is battery power by integrated large bridge chip inside CPU and using latest technology for it also. making desktop approach similar to mobile LSIs.

All new advances will be mostly software that will try to shoot down your app at any moment possible to get better battery life, especially in benchmarks.

• I downloaded Mavericks and had nothing but hassle with FCPX ever since - even with App Nap unchecked. Whole system has gone sluggish, nothing is actually quicker, I am of course beating myself hourly for not having backed up beforehand so I could return to where I was nice and quickly.

• I'm running mavericks and snow leopard; while SL is the fastest skinny hunter, Mavs manages better the whole resources circus. With use gets better, literally.
    New adobe updates AE, PS, Prem run really smooth. Speesgrade is total (cough) shit regarding responsivevness , at least in ma-machine which is mitigated by Lr 5 brontosteadynes we go slow but with no lag, said the brontosaurius :P

I wish I could fullscreen ANY application though and that behind software dpt were more crazy / imaginative people... probably brainwashed anyway. Vi ses

• I'm on Mav's and FCPx Motion with no real problems.

Only gripe is the way finder exits at the slightest provocation from a removable drive ...

• If you find Mavericks sluggish after installing, try running Mavericks Cache Cleaner Maintenance and Optimization. It works fine in demo mode. Or repair permissions on Disk Utility.

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/maverickscachecleaner.html

Also, for older non Haswell Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, there's a free app called Battery Squeezer that may help squeeze a little more time out of your battery. There are a few reports that Mavericks is draining the battery faster than ML on some Macbooks. The free version is in the Macapp store.

http://triphackr.com/extend-laptop-battery-life-with-batterysqueezer

• @belfryman

I downloaded Mavericks and had nothing but hassle with FCPX ever since - even with App Nap unchecked. Whole system has gone sluggish, nothing is actually quicker, I am of course beating myself hourly for not having backed up beforehand so I could return to where I was nice and quickly.

1 - Prevent App Nap has to be checked (specially for background rendering programs)
    2 - Memory Clean this a little great FREE app it may help, might

• @maxr Thanks, meant checked sorry. It stopped being completely useless about a week after I downloaded Mavericks but I still get weird things like yellow and various hues of red screens when it won't play footage that wants rendering that previously was no issue and I can't view background tasks so can't stop exports or whatever and other things outside of fcp are slower. Anyway, am living with it for now, just have to buy a new computer soon!

• p.s. Did also use memory clean.