Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What to expect in a five years future, aka 2018?
  • I came across this interesting article from Roger Cicala of Lensrentals.com:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/06/whose-camera-will-i-buy-in-2018

History would predict, though, that the new camera features of 2018 won’t be anything I will think of, but rather something I haven’t considered at all.

Obviously the micro 4/3 manufacturers are having financial problems, but their products are excellent. If the industry as a whole was stronger I’d think they might be acquired. But I think Panasonic’s overall problems would limit their interest in picking up Olympus’ cameras and Sony has made it pretty clear they’re investing in Olympus’ medical equipment division, not consumer imaging. I wonder if this is the reason Zeiss, which is a member of the 4/3 consortium, decided to develop lenses for Fuji and NEX cameras, but not micro 4/3. They know a lot more about the camera business than I do.

Still, I don’t expect micro 4/3 to vanish in the next couple of years, but I think it might by 2018. Five years is a long time in the camera industry, two to three generations of technology. I should be clear that my misgivings don’t mean I’d have any hesitation to buy a micro 4/3 system today. Chances are absolutely zero that I’ll be shooting the same camera in five years no matter what brand I choose, so if I’m buying today I’ll buy whatever system best meets my needs today.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • @LongJohnSilver

It is quote old writing. Such writings happened across few blogs almost in sync. All of them stated "m43 is good, but do not buy into it, it has problems and could vanish".

Here you must also understand business interests of the company who is mostly focused on Canon and Nikon gear and are interested to keep lenses/manufacturer amount at minimum for same rented amount.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Actually he says that he would have no hesitation to buy a m43 system. Of course he doesn't have the cristall ball :) I read his articles and usually I find his comments quite balanced. I found interesting the comparation of imaging market figure and the tv market (sony trinitron analogy) BTW I didn't know that Zeiss was part of M43 consortium but they never produced a m43 lens.

PS I came into that post via another post saying that we will never see a GH5 because there's no money to invest... absurd.

• Actually he says that he would have no hesitation to buy a m43 system.

Again, all of people who wrote this are very smart. None of them will write "I do not like m43", as it makes people who are target of such writings to stop reading.

Thing I want to say here, is that business is ugly. And things below the carpet are not pretty.

• @VK i agree. This has shady business tactics written all over it. He is not saying "don't buy M4/3" but he might as well be with the impact that may have on potential buyers.

• So I need to open my eyes ;)

• GoPro finally gained control of Canon after buying out Nikon and Digital Bolex in 2017.

• @Rambo

It can't be true, as I am sure that Digital Bolex cost alone will be more than US debt in 2017.

• Oh the Digital Bolex "camera" range faded out in 2014 VK, however they launched a range of hipster pant braces based on Joes, made Billions, eloped with Elle and lived happily ever after . Haha, more power to the Hipsters I say.