Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Static Electricity with Ziploc bags in Pelican Case?
  • I have a pelican case that I keep my camera, 3 lenses, 4 batteries, and 7 SD cards in. I have a few small parts that I'd like to just put in ziploc bags, and keep those ziploc bags in the pelican case too. Do ziploc bags introduce any kind of risk of static electricity that might negatively affect the SD cards or camera?

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks all for your advice.

• You can only be so careful about static electricity. Take all the precautions and then a spider takes a nap in your SD card slot and ZAP!! Haven't had any problem with ziploc bags. Although I now use mostly insulated lunch bags for lenses and stuff. Only a buck at the dollar store. Little tools, screwdrivers, allen wrenches and parts fit nicely in tall pill bottles, and thrown in a lunch bag.

Also check your local DAISO store, they have a variety of SD card containers for $2. Also heavy plastic food containers ( clear blue or clear) with screw lids, that fit various lens sizes (Lumix and SLR Magic lenses or any lenses) for extra protection.

http://www.daiso-sangyo.co.jp/shop/index.php?prc=overseas&sid=1

Insulated-Lunch-Bags.jpg
    300 x 300 - 77K
  • that already sounds like double safety already matt, i would say get some sturdy ziplock bags not anti-static ones.

• @vicharris Yes, we're prob definitely overdoing it. LOL. I've decided to get a HUGE 2 ft by 3 ft antistatic bag and put the pelican case in that...then I'll wear antistatic gloves and shoe wraps....then I'll probably be okay...I hope. (Yes we have gone over the edge on this one...lol)

@kritzresn My SD cards are in the little plastic cases they come with. Then I put 7 of them in a mini case and that sits in my Pelican. My question is really about storing small parts like allen wrenchs etc. in ziploc bags and placing those ziploc bags in my pelican. So would you suggest using the pink antistatic bags for allen wrench and other small parts that will be in the pelican case, or some other kind of bag/pouch?

• @balazer, the're many variations of anti-static bags but the outside of such bags is in many cases a slightly conductive layer, no matter where the metal is, but since no static can get trough to the inside, static can build up all around the outside very quick when rubbed of touched. you should be able to measure the conductivity if you have the right meter equipment, nothing amazing but if you happen to be charged quite a lot yourself it can be damaging, as long as you're grounded it prolly wouldnt happen.

All im trying to say without the explanation is: just buy normal plastic zip bags if the sd cards aren't already in their plastic cases.

• @kritzresn, what you've said doesn't make any sense. First, most of the metal film shield bags have their metal layer sandwiched on the inside, not on the outside. And no matter where the metal is, just being conductive or acting as a Faraday cage doesn't make the bag any more likely to collect charge than any other bag. And these bags usually have antistatic and dissipative properties, meaning that they are less likely to collect charge in the first place and will dissipate charge once collected.

@matt_gh2, if your memory cards are kept in cases, they're not particularly vulnerable to ESD. The plastic is an insulator, and so is the air gap. Same for devices like cameras, thanks to their plastic enclosures. Antistatic and shielded bags are for shipping electronics with exposed components. They're not necessary for consumer electronics, and regular ziplock bags are not going to significantly increase the risk of ESD that could damage your equipment. If you are really paranoid, just be careful to not put your fingers near the electrical contacts of a memory card.

• Think you might be over thinking this here man. Has anyone ever told you this happened to them? I have ziplock bags all over the place. Though they are never in direct contact with my SD cards since they are always in their little case, but I've never had a problem or heard of one. Not saying it doesn't happen but you might be making a mountain out of a molehill. Or I could be completely wrong!!! :)

• @kritzresn What kind of small bag would you recommend to put small parts in, that I can keep in Pelican case with SD cards? Thanks for information.

• Please dont...(and read why) !

Normally you wouldnt need anti-static zip bags for anything camera wise, they're for stuff where the microchips are exposed like computer memory dimm and such. You will even end up creating a problem with anti-static zip bags!, because they can't get static on the inside but sure as hell can get static on the outside, extremely more than a normal ziplock plastic bag! The anti-static bags are lined with a conducive material that is meshed together to form what is known as a Faraday Cage (something you might have heard of). This cage subsequently stops all electric fields from penetrating, thus keeping devices inside a SEALED bag safe from electrostatic damage. This works because fields incident upon the cage will cause a realignment of charge in the material, causing a negation of the electric field and thus stopping it from penetrating to the inside. So charge is collected on the OUTSIDE of the bag (or cage), making anything like an sd card touching the outside of ur bags in the case likely to suffer damage much more so than a normal plastic zip bag. Quite a lot of people not aware of this fact ruin computer components more than often, by taking it out of the bag and then in their ignorance putting it on top of the bag on the outside..

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks - will order some.

• Any advice from the more experienced guys here would be greatly appreciated. Does putting regular ziploc bags in a pelican case cause static electricity that could hurt SD cards or camera that are also in the same case? Thanks in advance.