Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • Fuji design elements seem to be molded into GX7. It looks cool.

• Panasonic ugly and very unhandy straps again.

• That classical strap lugs would need a pair of metal rings for sure which would make it look more classical, but another source of possible noise. Not surprisingly GX is more photo centric.

• 43rumors says "same video quality as gh3" - does that mean the gh3 codecs will be in the gx7 ?

• and it looks to be the gh2 sensor with multi aspect enabled
  • @duartix

Yep, discussing guests and rumors. Can be fun.

• "same video quality as gh3" - this made me laugh we barely know what it looks like and already it is practically "Gospel" that it has the same video quality.

• The human race (as in species, not in speeding) gives us a truly amazing spectacle. The discussion over there is going in these tones:

1 - WTF! Why didn't they include 5 axis stabilization?

2 - WTF! It looks like a Fuji.

3 - WTF! We need GH5 sensor! (as they are still clueless if it's GH2, GH3 or G6 tech, yet they DO KNOW it takes shitty pictures)

4 - WTF! Why does the EVF need to be tilted to be used???

5 - WTF! Only 1 dial??? (I guessed they never used a Panasonic).

6 - SHIT! Only 4 programmable buttons??? The G6 has 5 (which is 25% better)!

7 - SHIT. The EVF rubber cup is made of rubber! :O

8 - (new) SHIT! It's too SMALL!!!

I haven't had such good laughs since Monty Python in the early 80's. I'm adding my own runts now. I'm asking for a tilt and shift battery/SD compartment as it's absolutely paramount for me to buy it. :)

• G6 or GX7... That's the question!!!

• this and a blackmagic pocket cinema camera could be such an amazing low profile documentary kit with high quality stills and video if this is on a par with the gh3 and even better if it has better colour rendition less of that magenta look... and if this gets hacked :O

• I want to be 100% Micro Four Thirds including my photography.... What I want to know is will this take better pics than GH2 or am I throwing money in the toilet switch bodies... I will be shooting on the Black magic primarily for video so this isnt a concern for me...

Thought on this as far as photography goes...guys?

• @No_SuRReNDeR Probably will take better pics than GH2 - I use it for photography too and it's not a strong point of GH2 - if the sensor is really new; since the rumours sometimes says "16Mp" and sometimes "18Mp", could be a revamped GH2 multi-aspect sensor (which have 18Mp for multi-aspect but uses 16Mp for photo).

Will have to wait for the reviews to be sure. I guess that it's a new sensor - from Panasonic, or they will use the Sony sensor from GH3 - then it will be great for photo, since it's the same sensor from Olympus OM-D (which I intent to buy for photos).

• I'm changing my mind at the whim of winds. But GX6 looks fuking awesome.

• @Cde a huge advantage of the G6 over the GX7 is that the G6 is significantly cheaper!

• @IronFilm seems to be the only advantage, too. Anyway i would like to know why ibis it's not good for video..

• For example the Ibis in the omd em5 isn't good?

• @Renovatio

As far as I remember it does not work in video in EM5. But I can be wrong here.

As for IBIS and video. IBIS usually degrade image quality as sensor cooling is usually much worse.

• As far as I remember it does not work in video in EM5. But I can be wrong here.

Yeah, in the EM-5 IBIS work with video - very well, indeed. Much better than OIS in the Panny lenses, reports says. Don't know about this cooling issue, though. Never saw complainings about it with the E-M5, but I guess that the camera was never used for long video sessions because with its so-so video (compared to a Panny G camera).

• This camera or the pocket cinema? Any thoughts?

• @Renovatio we don't know about a lot of stuff about the GX7, such as does it have focus peaking? Plus it will never have a swivel screen, obviously! So I reckon I can fairly confidently say the G6 is a better deal for video.

@double_vision depends on your purposes..... do you care about photography? If you say no, then get the BMPCC! I got the GX1 myself, not so much for video (but it will make a handy B cam to my GH1 I reckon), but so that I then have a small camera I can easily always carry around with me for photography :-D

• Well, i saw some videos about the omd em5 on vimeo and youtube, ibis seems to work well in video..

• OMD used to support ibis for oly panny lenses. After firmware update, it supports all lenses. If it overheats, just turn it off.

A magnesium body, ibis, 1/8000, tilting evf, better lcd, peaking, wireless ttl, etc.

Just get it.

• But I'm not sure about ext mic input.