Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Battery went down when flashing. HELP
  • MAYDAY. I was updating my firmware, like i have done a few times before, and somehow my battery went down. Camera doesn't show any image on the screen now. Well it powers up but no image on screen just a weird vague sound inside the camera almost like one clock ticking seconds or like a bad hard drive. I have tried all four batteries here and same thing. Camera is off warranty, what should I do? HELP, please. Really stuck here. @Vitaliy_Kiselev what should I do? Any chance to re-flash it again? I have no warranty left so I am loosing my mind here and PANIC.

• 16 Replies sorted by
  • I was updating my firmware, like i have done a few times before, and somehow my battery went down.

You had been using third party battery, I suppose.

• Yes, i was, but i have original battery. Anything i can do now?

• Anything i can do now?

Go to service center.

P.S. We have special warning to never use third party battaries, as they have very bad habit of going down instantly.

• not much you can do here.

this is the reason why i only use genuine batteries.

• This is why we have underlined in FAQ:

Do not attempt to flash with an AC coupler or 3rd-party battery!

• lets see what Panasonic says then... Has anyone had this problem before? Should it be expensive to fix or something?

• @MovieArmada Sorry to hear about your experience. I've bought 3rd party batteries for me canon p&s before. I was going to buy non oem batteries for my GH3 of eBay, but have changed my mind now. I'll just but an original battery instead. The low battery life, poor quality and possible compatibility issues aren't worth the headache. I just got a battery grip–I'll bless it with an original battery.

• If you still have it under warranty it is worth a shot just sending it in and saying the fully charged battery died during updating the firmware. They will likely ask you to send in the battery (you could send in the original panny battery). The repair center may just reinstall OS, and not care what firmware was being updated, and just shrug at why the battery crapped out. Yes it is totally dishonest, but it may save you a couple hundred dollars. If you tell them you used third party batteries during firmware update, I think you will be paying the repair. That being said, third party batteries on a camera as nice as a GH2 baffles my brain. I can buy used Panny batteries around here for $20.. but I did buy one extra new for much more, very early on. Panny batteries won't let you run a firmware update if they are even a little bit low.

• My camera is off warranty, bought it new in Macau more than two years ago. Don't think european warranty will cover this.

• I think I read somewhere they (Panasonic ) just replace the main board and send you the bill.

• thanks Rambo,

you have any idea about the cost of that?

• uffff just found the invoice and its on warranty still!! :) UFFFFFFF

• Out of warranty will cost you around 180 bucks for a new main board. Just remember, NEVER flash a GH2 with third party batteries.

• This Happen to me same story third party battery Dead Cam

• Wow. I was just looking at 3rd party batteries. I think i'll go back and look at the Panasonic ones instead. It doesn't seem worth it to save 20 bucks.

• @tmartinphoto yeah be carefull with compatible ones.

I just got my camera back, it was a fast and great job by Panasonic. Everything is working and they didn't charged me anything. Really impressed with the service quality!

Now off to buy some official batteries!