Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Genus Eclipse Variable ND Filter , pictures, resolution and colorshift
  • Here are some test pictures with Genus Eclipse ... Voigtländer nokton 25mm at f2.0 and old Tokina 200mm/ f3.5 it does not seem to have any problems and no color shift ... Included pictures in full resolution ... Later on coming a video test and if I get some zoom lenses to test more ...

nokton_25_2.0.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 7M
    nokton_25_2.0_Genus_Eclipse.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 7M
    nokton_25_color.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 6M
    nokton_25_color_genus_eclipse.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 6M
    tokina_200_3.5.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 6M
    tokina200_3.5_Genus_Eclipse.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 6M
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • A disadvantage of the Tiffin is that the front of the filter is not threaded so you can't use a lens hood with it. The Eclipse has threads on the front and an optional hood is available at extra cost.

• I have had the Genus Eclipse for a while and have been happy with it. From that test @danpv posted the tiffen looks like a good option as well considering it is a bit cheaper and available on Amazon.

• Found this test comparing the Genustech Eclipse and Tiffen Variable ND filters:

http://chriscontiphotography.com/2013/06/battle-of-the-varinds-whats-the-best-variable-nd/

Conclusions:

• both are sharp
    • both add a green cast
    • both cost about the same
    • "... the Tiffen had an extra stop or two of usable range before it too started showing the cross pattern."
    • Genustech customer service is sub-par
    • If you purchase the Eclipse from the Genustech website and return it you are charged a restocking fee and the item must be shipped to Hong Kong.
  • Just did a day with my new 77mm and no complaints - footage looks just as good as stuff shot with my Tiffen ND which costs nearly twice as much

• I just ordered one 77mm with the step up ring. I'll be taking some pics/vids soon and will post some results here.

• I've been considering the Genus Eclipse myself. I have a crappy fader ND and find it handy in a pinch but the quality stinks. The Eclipse looks great but I might just get a couple of strong Tiffen IRND filters instead. I do think I will miss the ease of use of a fader though... so many decisions and not enough money. lol

• @feha Still like that Eclipse?

• @Gamer_s , all the way in ...

Eclipse1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 565K
    Eclipse2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 171K
  • @feha are you able to turn the eclipse all the way in on the stepper ring, or just 1/2 to 1 revolution?

• @manstok so this is how they're designed? Weird. I guess the only solution would be to exchange it for a bigger one and use stepper rings like feha

• Hm, that kinda sucks. The filter thread on the eclipse doesn't even look like a screw in thread, they just look parallel. Is this some kind of vari nd standard or did I just get a bad copy? Guess I'll just have to contact genus...

• @Gamer_s Hmm, that reminds me of the genus eclipse on my 35-100, it feels a bit 'loose', i can't get it to tighten, going around in circles...

• @Gamer_s , i have a 77mm version so i can't answer (58mm ?). I use Cordvision Cine rings 77mm to 58 mm and Genus Eclipse 77mm works OK. If you use an UV filter between it may solve your problem.

• Just got the genus eclipse. Is it just me or are the filter threads weird? Tried to attach it to the 35-100 but I''m afraid to damage the filter thread on the lens :/

• @tinyrobot , sorry i don't own any new ND from Light Craft, I'm very satisfied with Eclipse Genus ...

• @feha What do you still think of the fader? Good buy?

Any any new companies with new faders? I heard Lightcraft came out with a new model. I still see a light color shift. I wonder how it compares to the Genus Eclipse.

• You can only buy it from the website

• any cheap link in Europe for this filter ?

• Thank you for feedback, I'm glad if this test helped you a bit. Yes the "Eclipse" is much different and I attached the photo below of the package too.

Genus_Eclipse_Vari_ND.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 139K
  • @feha, Thanks. I had my eye on this Fader too. Was wondering if it was as good as they claimed.

• Some resellers are still selling the older Genustech "non Eclipse" model marked as "NEW" so be aware. Prices are similar also.

• @DanPV, yep, you need to order it direct from them. It's still well priced.