Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nightmarket. Pune. India
  • A regular evening during the week in Pune, India. Again and again I am totally fascinated by the Indian people, the culture, the food, the colors!

Shot with the Lumix GH1 and GH2 (both hacked), the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6, Voigtlaender 25mm f0.95mm and a Canon FL 55mm f1.2

follow me on twitter: twitter.com/gunmac

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • Very nice. I'm in Bombay currently and feel like you've captured the atmosphere quite well.

• @arnarfjodur thanks for watching!

• @GMC Looks great. Thanks for posting.

• GMC, i really enjoyed your video, good job! can i ask what was you iso?

• @matt_gh2 Thanks for watching!

• @bumsklumpen thank you! With the Voigtlaender, the iso was around 200 at f1.2, with the other 2 lenses at f2 it was more like iso 400, on the darker scenes up to iso 800.

• thanks a lot! watching your videos on vimeo now :)

• I think you really captured the spirit of the markets in India! I just came back from Bangalore & I'm missing India watching this film

• Hi @bumsklumpen, thank you for watching ;-)

• @HimaB thats what I wanted to achieve, capture the spirit! Thanks for that feedback!

• By the way, I have been asked from a few sides to explain further my setup. First of all, the GH Series are perfect for travelling light. I am using a single photo bag with neck strap, where I can put two bodies and a few lenses in: GH1 mostly with Voigtlaender 25mm, and GH2 with SLR Magic 12mm. As an additional lens I have the Canon FL 55mm with me, which I swap with the SLR Magic on the GH2 as both have the 58mm thread size, and I am using 58 - 72 - 82mm stepup rings for my 82mm Heliopan VariND filter (reason: no vignetting on the 12mm). On the Voiglaender I use the LCW MKII VariND which is somewhat soft but still OK.

Additionally, I carry a small ricebag (5cm dia, 10cm long) which acts as my tripod. You find everywhere a place to put the ricebag, on top of it the camera which can be adjusted (because of the rice) in all directions and stays stable. If that is not possible, I place the cam with the ricebag underneath on top of my photobag (which is strapped around my neck) - this also gives nice and stable camera movement without microjitter. Never in my whole life I have ever used a tripod - it is just way too inflexible for my travel needs.

On the GH1 I always use the smooth -2 everything (except saturation), with fixed WB on the Kelvin scale (depending on light). On the GH2 during the day I shoot smooth -2 everything (except saturation again), during night and on overcast skies (during day) I use the nostalgic setting (everything -2 except saturation at 0).

I always tend to protect the highlights when exposing. Exposure is always done with the VariND. Shutter (1/50th for 24p and 1/125 for 60p) and f-stop (depending on scene) are fixed in manual movie mode.

The WB I always set more towards the red / orange or warm side, because it helps to get natural skintones in post during color correction when I drag the shadows towards blue. This gives nice overall colors as you can see in my posted example. I always use RGB curves or three way color correction for grading, also for setting contrast always the luma curve (never use contrast or brightness, as it quickly leads to crushed blacks or blown whites). Also make shure you are using full range with the .MTS files.

Thats it (almost ;-))

• @GMC Beautiful work! thanks for info on your setup.

• @GMC are u in pune?? i am from chennai, nice video yar. keep it up

• @jleo thanks for watching!

• @rajamalik I am quite frequently in Pune (about 2 to 3 times a year), but I actually live in Vienna, Austria ;-)

• @GMC The shots look very stable. That's interesting idea to use the rice bag. I will try that. Do you also use warp stabilizer in the video editor?

• @matt_gh2 yes, I sometimes also use the warp stabilizer. But mostly the rice bag is just fine.