Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap quad core MTK 6589 based phones with fullhd screens
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • There's a good breakdown of things you need to know about Chinese phones

Overall my knowledge of these phones are as follows...

1. the chipset is mostly made by a Taiwanese company, called mediatek.
    2. the chipset has a model number determined by mediatek, and will be displayed by the manufacturer's product description as well, mine is the MTK6589
    3. the chipset determines and number of cores, the core speed, and megapixel of front and back camera, and the frequencies of 2G and 3G.
    4. amount if RAM, mine MTK6589 is always 1GB.

the phones, although with same chipset, can come with different

1. screen size
    2. screen resolution.
    3. ROM size,

that's make the price difference.

Also the methods to root device is chipset dependent, therefore if you have the mtk6589 the method to root it will work across different manufacturers' phones with the same chipset.

• My experience is that there are several chipsets, the amount of memory varies, the core speed varies, the camera varies and even the rooting varies.

I have a dual sim phone which is handy for various reasons, and the dual sim is a feature that most American phones don't have. I had one phone with a very soft screen that even though 720p was dull and washed out, and I have one 720p that has some sort of gorilla glass that is decent. So don't order a phone that doesn't at least claim to have "gorilla-esque" tech of some kind. In general, I don't recommend buying a Chinese phone unless you have some basic skills with gear, but you can get a pretty nice phone for a decent price.

One thing that ppl don't mention is that a higher resolution screen is more work for the phone gpu and the battery. So unless you really need 1080p, go with a quality 720p.

Some of the newer phones have more bands, look for a phone that can pick up data on different bands for the widest compatibility.

You can also buy an unlocked Nexus 5 or a used Samsung with an OLED screen.

• I don't recommend buying a Chinese phone unless you have some basic skills with gear, but you can get a pretty nice phone for a decent price.

I fully do not agree here. Good Chinese brands last year made huge progress. "Skill with gear" has nothing to do with it. As about 90% of issues arise from idea to save too much and buy crap by yourself. It is all same for any other product.

You can also buy an unlocked Nexus 5 or a used Samsung with an OLED screen

You won't get same specced phone for this price. Only country were you can get used or discounted thing for even close price is US. Just be always on alert as huge number of stolen phones, repaired and assembled from parts are on market now.

• As for the price, I agree you can save some money! And there is a risk of bad IMEI from used phone for sure.

• Ulefone Vienna

Octacore MTK6753 cellphone with 13MP Panasonic camera and audiophile DAC. 5.5 inch LTPS screen.

http://ulefone.com/products/vienna/features.html

http://www.xiaomitoday.com/ulefone-vienna-review/