Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Real stops (T-stops) tested for a few lenses
  • I had the opportunity to put a cine Distagon, the Arri/Zeiss 40mm 2.1 T, on my GH2 today and thought I'd check a few of my stills lenses against it for exposure.

The results are interesting: while I thought that all marked F-stops would be slower than the marked T-stops, this is wrong!

All lenses were slower in T-stops when wide open, but starting from the first stop closed down, the values were constantly identical to the F-stops (within an error margin well below one third stop).

One example: the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2 (aka Bokeh-Monster) has a T-stop of 1.4 (true speed) wide open. At f2.0 the value is identical to the lens with the marks in T-stops. This was the same on all the lenses I tested, a few Minoltas, Zeiss Contax and one Voigtländer. OK, not a scientific test, but good enough for me. For most practical purposes I can consider my lenses closed down as marked like T-stops, only the WO values are exaggerated.

Voigtländer 25mm @ f0.95 is a T 1.1.5 Minolta Zoom @ f3.5 is a T 3.8 Both Rokkor PG and Contax Zeiss @ f1.4 are T 1.6 Even the Rokkor 28mm @2.0 is a T 2.1

Thought some might find this useful…

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Very interesting report. One thing people need to keep on mind about T-stops/F-stops is that even though a lens has a slower T-stop than it's F-stop, depth of field is still determined by the F-stop. In other words, if you have a lens that's only measured in T-stops, it's important to know it's F-stop as well, in order to make accurate depth of field calculations.