Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Three different prime lenses on three GH2 bodies for documentary work - makes sense?
  • Considering the cheap price for GH2 bodies now, I was thinking for my documentary work to make a set up with three of my favorite prime lenses on three different gh2 bodies - instead of using a slower and esthetically more sterile looking zoom like the still expensive 12-35 Pananasonic. Anybody has work experience with this kind of configuration - like a lot of news photo journalists do? Pros and Cons?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • There have always been lots of reasons to use several camera bodies and all of them have become more affordable. I wouldn't count zoom-avoiding as a priority.

But as a B-Cam, spare cam, cams on different mountings (tripod, steadicam, skate dolly, shoulder rig), different hacks, etc etc, go ahead and do whatever you need, can afford or desire!

• I have done primes on separate bodies before though i limit myself to carrying only two on locations for convenience. I do quite often have 3 gh bodies for controlled filming on tripods. Saying that I bought the 12-35mm to elimiate the need to carry two bodies on me.

• I've often recorded concerts of classical music with several GHx cameras as it is impossible to walk around during the live performance. Beware that GH2 has more greenish colors than most of other cameras. Good sound recording is important, forget GHxs. Later one-click sync in your editing software and there you go, just switch between the tracks, luxory!

• After a number of instances where I wished I had a 'B' cam I tried using my Pentax K5 in conjunction with my GH2 to shoot a music performance. The sensor in the K5 overheated within minutes and the video IQ was horrible in comparison with the GH2.

Then B&H dropped the price on the GH2 to $499 USD ($475 AUD) and suddenly it was a no brainer anymore... Yesterday I ordered another 2 GH2's!

• For long takes, the GH1 is the king: 2h30min in great quality on 32GB card, battery never problem, remains cold.

• I use three bodies with primes as my standard setup: 12mm 1.6, 25mm 0.95 and 55mm 1.2. In a run and gun situation i have the 25mm on a monopod and switch lenses on the go from my sling bag. I've tried using two bodies but I found it quicker changing lenses than having to change settings on the cameras and keeping them matched.

• @oscillian Thats obviously the difficult part having three GH2 bodies. As long as you have the time to match the settings, changing from one camera to another its fine, but quicker is changing the lenses in a time pressure situation, for sure. Which one is the 55 1.2 that matches to the nokton 25 and noktor 12? Because these three lenses is the setup I was thinking about...

• @gameb That would be the Canon FL 55 1.2. Great lens!