Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
720/25p strange behaviour on GH2.
  • I did a shot with 720/25p on a hacked GH2 with a 32 MB Bitrate (just for the record, I don't think the BR is relevant in this matter). Obviously I should have done more test... but this is the story:

The footage looks really good to my eyes and plays smoothly on camera and using VLC with the RAW footage. So, I tried to import it into FCP with conversion to Apple ProRes, as I usually do. Big surprise, at least to me that I don't understand how the coded technically works. The clips play at 50% speed, in a perfect and beautiful slomo! But it's not what I want! And also the second half of the clip does not get imported.

In other words, I see the entire clip in the preview window of the Log and Capture Tool (even though, if I try to play it, it doesn't play smoothly, it's all chopped, as if it had difficulty interpreting the TC) and the duration is correct. When imported, the duration of the clip is the same, but at 50% speed, so the clip ends after the first half.

Does anybody has an explanation? And, more important, does anybody know a work around to be able to use the footage? I would prefer at normal speed, but even in slomo it could be okay if I could capture the entire clip!
    Thanks!
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • In fact you recorded with 720/50p, those kind of patches don't work yet
  • @elenion
    I thought it was just 1080p didn't work, i've been ticking 720p25 and getting good results, says 25p in fcp clip and sequence settings.
    @rogerpilly
    Sorry, no idea what problem is, haven't had that, you're obviously sure you didn't accidentally select slo mo rather than manual.
  • @Elenion
    I don't think so. If this were the case, it would still play at normal speed at 50p. In order to get slomo you have to conform it to 25 with Cinema Tools, I have done this many times with 60/50p without the patch. Plus, the streamparser says it's actually 25p.
    @belfryman
    I didn't record slo mo because it's not possible in 720, only in 1080 24p at 80% speed. Could you tell me your workflow in FCP? Mine says it's 25p, but plays at 50% speed. Thank you very much
  • Did anyone ever solve this problem? I'm wrestling with it too and it's a real tenacious one.
  • I converted my files with Handbrake (only free Mac software I could find that did the job), that is - Handbrake read the files at the correct speed so I just converted /exported them to 25p before importing them to Premiere (should be fine with Final Cut too).

Suffice to say I won't be using that patch again until it really works!
  • I used aunsoft to get the footage onto the hard drive playing OK tho audio out of sync and then imported files, no longer enable that patch either!
  • For me I used audio from the original mts (which was OK).
  • I synced mine manually, was about 3 frames difference mostly I think. Won't be going there again!