Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • Any idea what the exact scores of the gh2 are?

• The GH3 is very close to the nyquist frequency for full hd video, while the X900 camcorder basically is limited only by the nyquist. Trust me, 150 lines is not something you'll notice unless you watch 100% crops.

• @christianhubbard, I was never able to find any listed stats on the Resolution of the GH2. I'd guess that it's somewhere north of the GH3 tho, which is good enough. The thing that did it for me was when I saw the GH2 go up against Super 35 cams and look just as sharp. I just want to see if the GH3 can be given a flat picture profile that will help to make grading better.

• @Arquer053

Trust me, 150 lines is not something you'll notice unless you watch 100% crops.

I concur captain

• I'm not sure why some of the videos we've seen of the GH3 have looked like they show less detail than the GH2, but my guess is that it's got something to do with a combination of Lens used, Noise Reduction, Sharpness settings and how the video was compressed. I'm guessing of course, but since i've seen some footage that looks very detailed and others that haven't it must be user error.

• again GH3 vs E-PL5 : http://mlzphoto.blog.hu/2012/11/10/sony_szenzor_lenne_a_panasonic_dmc-gh3-ban

so sad... if it is the same sensor a firmware could change something?

• a french website (lesnumeriques.com) reviewed the GH3 and said that unfortunately there wasnt any flat picture profile.

• WT* but nice low light :) 0:42 to 1:59 best parts

• @tenjin I wrote it before, there was a video with the different picture profile and the video did not have some of the photo one like high-dynamic that is suppose to be the flattest mode. When I see established companies like Nikon and Canon giving you the possibility to do your own, I say wtf to Panasonic.

• So is natural the new smooth then?

• This is what happens when people play and review with unfinished cameras , they jump to "hasty" conclusions (I hope this is the word, I'm not a native English speaker) . I'm positively sure that we will have a flat profile, flatter than the flattest one from GH2, or at least the possibility to customize one as flat as man desires. The only thing which is of most importance now is the moire. Gh3 from What I'm red and seen uses a lighter AA filter which lets some moire occur. Personalty I hope that they will remove the colored moire in the processing algorithms, the rest I don't really care, GH3 will be a superb camera.

"magnifico" you are right in you description of sharpness but, this term is generally used for perceived resolution. And if the measured 850 horizontal/800 vertical lw/ph of resolution is correct than GH3 is as I sad, sharper than GH2 which has about 800 horizontal/700 vertical lw/ph of resolution.

And please somebody do a proper video test from a tripod, without moving the camera, on different ISO settings, at large f numbers etc etc...

Best regards to all

• Regarding resolution of the GH2 I searched a little around and found this:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-238895.html

Here some part of it:

Quote from dvxuser.com:

I need to break this down into Horizontal and vertical resolution because the ranking is different for each one.

Horizontal Resolution: 1. 1080p - about 900 lines 2. 1080i and 720p - 800 to 850 lines

I think horizontal resolution is limited much more by the scaling than by final output resolution.

Vertical Resolution: 1. 1080p - 800-850 lines 2. 1080i(Not deinterlaced - Static scene) - 750 lines 3. 1080i(deinterlaced with Yadif deinterlace in VLC) and 720p - 650 lines

• As much as i want this camera to be good, and I don't want to be the party basher here, I think it is just day dreaming to think that all features that are not there in this prerelease built will be there on launch (in a couple of weeks time). I can understand some functions not available such as wifi and such, but as far as camera performance there won't be any difference. Yeah it is still 0.5 firmware, but these websites got the camera for reviews by panasonic. Nobody went to panasonic headquarters to steal some unfinished prototypes. We just have yet to see proper tests by capable people. I am sure there'll be some polish and enhancements here and there for the release, but I think that what we see now is what we will get. End of story.

• Now let's just hope that the camera will be hackable to further enhance its performance :)

• Not yet, delayed. Barney at Panasonic is ill so my meeting was cancelled for today.Im waiting on a re-arranged date. I'll endeavour to put up results of the codec from last thursday on the FAQ page over the week.

• I remain optimistic about the gh3, but honestly do like the overall look from our hacked GH2's at present moment. That and I still think the lack of 120fps for 720p was a very bad move on their part. Even 90fps would have had allot of us doing jigs on our coffee tables I think. Again though I am optimistic. 120fps is probably an ability that just needs to be unleashed with firmware or loverly hacking magicians, and a more filmic look will also likely come with some magic.

Personally though I don't see a day when I can afford the camera on the horizon so I probably have a more layed back approach than those itching to press the pre-order buttons. The G5 is a bit more interesting to me for the time being, and I would love to see Vitaliy unleash the beast from within that pretty little machine. I never wanted a bigger GH2, or Wifi, or GPS though, so different strokes for different folks.

• An representatieve of panasonic netherlands told me that de gh3 Will be in the shops The last week of November.

• so sad, The ''Wide dynamic range'' GH3 should and the 3DNR should beat the E-PL5 10EV dynamic range ... a firmware could change something?

Look like we see the line between the supposed wall and the purple tube(GH3 picture), should be only bad noise reduction :s hope so anyway :S

gh3vse-pl5.png
    797 x 528 - 861K
  • @amateur, i'm not so sure it's that helpful to compare the photo characteristics between cameras and try to extrapolate that to how the cameras would compare in video mode. Perhaps to some degree but overall I don't think it's a great idea. There's such a different level of processing going on for video. I'm of course assuming that video is the most important aspect we're all looking at with the GH3.

In the end I only care about whether Panasonic gives us a flat picture profile and if they have a tweak to settings that will help to minimize Moire. If the final product can have those things it would be great. Overall i'd like to see the GH3 have improved DR over the GH2. If they failed on that mark, then it would seem a huge failure.

@mee, As for 720/120 fps, I think that is something we may see in a firmware update. My guess is that the camera is capable of doing it, just like adding focus peaking. It's up to Panasonic to respond to their customers requests for these features and I think they will.

• @Eno, you said:

..."magnifico" you are right in you description of sharpness but, this term is generally used for perceived resolution...

I should have said "perceived detail"...There are both people. Some talk about sharpening having in mind the concept of ACUTANCE only. Some as you say think about RESOLUTION only. The truth is that sharpness is resolution+acutance. I wanted to give some precision here because if detail is not here you can put more and more sharpening in your footage in post production or with the parameter of the cam and finally the result will not be sharper.

@Aria @AKED, so:

Panasonic GH3 ------- 850/800

and

Panasonic GH2 ------- 900/800-850

Note that data for gh2 has been given before 02-14-2011. We don't know about the numbers for the last hacks.

If these numbers are true, we can figure that resolution of gh3/1080p is same resolution of hacked gh2 between 1080p and 720p...Not so bad :-)

• I think Panasonic USA will be targeting "black Friday" if possible, but would be surprised if they manage it.

• I've tried searching this thread, but I haven't found the answer to these questions:

(1) Does the GH3 shoot 24p with 1/48 shutter (180 degree)? (GH2 does 1/40 or 1/50 only)

(2) Is it possible to hack the shutter to 1/48?

• @AdR can you actually tell the difference between 1/48 or 1/50. I would wager 99% cannot.

I

• @RatLab - That doesn't answer my question.

I'm trying to find out if the GH3 can shoot with a 1/48 shutter at 24p.

Does anyone know the answer. please?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions