Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Reference mini active speakers topic
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone tried the Equator co-axial monitors? They seem to be getting rave notices.

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studio_Monitors_with_DSP_p/d5.htm

• @Ralph_B

Nope, did not saw them. But may be actual manufacturer is the same as one making coaxial speakers referenced on top.

• @Ralph_B

Btw, here is one of Chinese products (coaxial + ribbon tweeter), active monitors

Compare materials and design :-) Plus note that they are quite cheaper than Equator :-)

sv2.jpg
    558 x 359 - 37K
    sv1.jpg
    558 x 346 - 33K
    sv.jpg
    555 x 356 - 46K
  • @Vitaliy

Equator is the manufacturer. In fact, they're selling the D5 manufacturer direct to keep the cost down.

I briefly heard their 12 inch monitor in a noisy music store. It sounded promising, but under the conditions it was hard to make any real judgement.

Take a look at the D5. It has some very interesting technology in it.

Also, if you check around at various forums, most people who have bought them, love them and are throwing out their old speakers.

• Equator is the manufacturer. In fact, they're selling the D5 manufacturer direct to keep the cost down.

I just doubt that they make speakers used. Manufacturer of good coaxial speakers are counted. Plus speakers manufacturing in EU or US/CA is almost dead, all transferred to China, even if manufacturer claim otherwise.
    And speakers I referenced (early and above) are made by same chinese company who also makes coaxial speakers for them.

• Also, if you check around at various forums, most people who have bought them, love them and are throwing out their old speakers.

Just remember that peoples ears and audio perception are very different (and change with age).

• Well, sure, they're built in China - what isn't these days? But these are not re-branded generic speakers. Read this:

http://www.equatoraudio.com/AboutUs.asp

• @Ralph_B

Yep, I checked, btw they wrote too much useless marketing fuss, ala super DSP that fixes speakers. Only pluses of coaxial design (forgetting to tell you about minuses), etc.

In fact I talking that they do not make coaxial speaker itself, it must be some chinese speaker, hence I referenced speakers, most possible made by same company.

• Where can i get those SV-500 speakers?

and actually as far as I know SV is the best selling brand in China.

• here is another popular item on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330407911877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_4657wt_1397

their frequency response:50HZ to 25kHZ where as SV M5 :90Hz to 20kHz only.

they use the HiVi satelites of swan speakers, the same as in this set: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20881&cPath=571#myshopping&utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Speakers+and+Subwoofers&utm_term=Swan+T200B+Reference+Studio+Monitors

but I agree SV M5 could be very nice set of speakers for a computer desk!!! they also have S880 model, a little bigger but with better low end response. 35Hz-20KHz

• @Eugene

Where can i get those SV-500 speakers?

I am working on it. If all will be well you could get it here :-)

Small Swans, is for audiophiles, not for monitoring :-)

• The OP didn't really describe what "small" was and what kind of actual quality they wanted. Since I do a lot of studio work, I've used a bunch of studio monitors.

A single driver won't have the highs and lows of a multi-driver system even if they claim "full range". You'll get much better midrange due to the lack of crossover distortion though. If you went this route, I'd find a paper driver with a heavy wood box. The plastic boxes always sound like plastic boxes no matter what.

Small 2-way units can sound pretty good but usually lack the lows unless it's an active speaker with aggressive crossovers that can really move the mid-woofer but not have a lot of midrange gain. You'll start running into crossover distortion or null points in the frequency response if the drivers aren't matched in time. This is the biggest issue in cheap 2-way speakers I think.

You probably aren't going to find a small 3 way system or a cheap and good coaxial system.

The mixcubes are OK but they are built for midrange sensitivity and lack highs and lows as I explained before.

I think the best bang you can get in small speakers are the old Minimus 7(or 77) from Realistic/RCA/Radioshack. They aren't made anymore but you can find them all online although the prices are starting to go up as they get older. Like these (not my auction):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALISTIC-MINIMUS-7-SPEAKERS-MADE-IN-JAPAN-GREAT-SOUND-/121069612260?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c304face4

Make sure you get the metal shell version. Once you do, line the inside with a bit of heavy felt to reduce resonance and you'll be highly pleased with the sound.

• good information...

you would need some kind of small amp to drive these MINIMUS-7 speakers. also i see that most of them in metal enclosure and there are a few in wood the older version.

found that people grabbing these sets an alternative to Audioengine 5+ and in USA they are even cheaper. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=567_602&products_id=20188

• @svart

It is topic for active speakers.

• Ah ok, I figured since yourself and others linked to non-active speakers, that another link wouldn't hurt... :)

I've heard the some of the Equator monitors, and I think they are pretty good for the money. They are probably made by some chinese company but I've found in my own dealings with chinese companies that the "direct" product isn't nearly as good quality as the "same" product from the name brand. This is because the manufacturers specify all of the parts and quality that goes into their products usually, so when their quota is done for the day, the chinese simply use the same molds, machinery and plans to build more "generic" versions of the product but will cheapen the parts considerably and try to pass it off as "the same" to the grey market. I run into this all the time dealing with chinese manufacturers unfortunately. It's a real hassle.

• but I've found in my own dealings with chinese companies that the "direct" product isn't nearly as good quality as the "same" product from the name brand. This is because the manufacturers specify all of the parts and quality that goes into their products usually, so when their quota is done for the day, the chinese simply use the same molds, machinery and plans to build more "generic" versions of the product

:-) Here we go again. Can you show me specific examples from your practice? Who made control from your side? What was quited price compared to "original" product?

• I would if I could. Even though I'm under NDA for a lot of things I do, I'll just say that these have been inquiries for OEM products for the company I work for and also from dealing with a chinese company that attempted to sell our designs as their own versions even as they made ours for us, and another that attempted to sell us another company's products as OEM. A big legal mess that cost us a bunch of money, but that's a discussion for another thread!

• Wanted to remind, that the topic was about looking for a really small reference speaker, for a small mobile travel unit. The best sounding and smallest so far for me is still the Bose musicmonitor: http://www.amazon.com/Bose%C2%AE-Computer-MusicMonitor%C2%AE----Silver/dp/B000WS5VNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364732719&sr=8-1&keywords=bose+musicmonitor

• Bose "sounds" good. They typically use psychoacoustics to enhance/leverage the fletcher-munson curve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves) but they make everything sound better than it really is. This isn't good for studio monitors because it can falsely make you believe that there are no issues with your source.

I've heard the Yamaha MSP3: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/speakers/msp3/?mode=series

And I'd say that they are great for the money, possibly better than most other monitors of the same size.

• Vitaliy, what are your chances on having a deal for SV audio speakers, anytime soon?

• Just bought the Bose Computermonitor speakers. I am very happy with them. Sound is great and travel size too.

• Blue Sky's Exo 2 are listenable - in the end - edit don't mix - get a mixer to do that :) Pre produce at home and finish somewhere calibrated (if you're selling it) If not fook it - there's a million sound graduates near you who are probably champing at the bit to do anything - use em !