Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New roller slider on eBay

A 1.2m roller style slider for just under $200 plus shipping. Comes with both standard and bowl mount which is a definite time saver. Not sure what kind of bearings are used though I'm sure it would be much smoother than friction based sliders such as the Igus etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2m-42-3-inch-Video-Slider-Dolly-Track-Camera-Camcorder-Dolly-Car-Tracking-/110927672681

imageimageimage

roller_slider.jpg
    400 x 282 - 11K
    bowl.jpg
    400 x 282 - 13K
    wheels.jpg
    400 x 282 - 13K
    support.jpg
    400 x 282 - 10K
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • Ahh! Looks very promising! I just returned one of those Igus type sliders. I don't know who would find those usable?

• I've just sent the seller a question asking what the dolly truck is made from. I would hope metal not plastic.

• It is not new, really.

But sliding base is simplified compared to previous variants.

It has issues, like big weight of rods. Also legs are not very good.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I concede it's not new but the price is quite a lot lower than most similar roller sliders I've seen.

I have an Igus friction slider and it is very difficult to achieve smooth movement. I think for $198 this roller slider looks a better option.

I contacted the seller and the base and bowl are metal with rubber rollers.

They have another version for $298 which the base can be steered in standalone operation. I'm not sure of the construction until I contact the seller again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5D2-7D-GH1-Slider-Dolly-Track-Camera-Camcorder-Video-Slider-Dolly-Car-Track-/140796526473

slider_truck.jpg
    400 x 266 - 13K
    slider_truck_2.jpg
    400 x 266 - 14K
  • @pundit

I know, I have similar one.

Get my good advice, get light Varavon slider and extra small dolly, if you need one. It'll be much lighter, compact and better working solution.

• @vicharris, I modified my Igus slider to be more usable! Used some metal shelf brackets and added some bearings to the ends and fit on rubber O-rings so it rolls better on flat surface ground or carpet.
    Cart it around with a tripod head angled up for super low shots!

Slider1.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 216K
    Slider2.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 179K
  • am i mistaken if i say, this has no advantages over metal industry standard dry glider/slider?

• @fatpig

What do you mean? If thing in the firs post of the topic, it has big advantages.

• I ended up buying the Varavon Slidecam 'S' though Vitaliy's special deals (thanks Vitaliy). Quality is excellent and the slider very smooth and versatile due to its mounting options. I am now in the process of motorising it.

• I always wondered how much those rods bend when the camera is right in the middle.

• If you mean steel rods - they do not bend at all.

• I meant the rig in the first post. Are they solid or hollow? I have a hard time believing anything longer than 1 meter wouldnt bend if you tried putting anything larger than a DSLR on it.

I've seen some motorized versions of a similar system (two rods in the air and the carriage) and it was bending quite a bit (it was a bit longer though).

• @mk47

I have no idea.

If it is steel rods, they are solid and do not bend. I think you can put 25kg on them and they won't notice.