Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
EP2 / EPL2 short films vs GF1/2/3
  • I like very much Panasonic GF line, however it's a shame that it's very hard to find short films made with these little camera. This is due to the fact that a Panasonic user prefers to shoot with a GH1/GH2 camera, great video quality indeed. However I am very interested in "compact"and cheapy m43 cameras like GF cams since I love shooting in extreme situations. I have discovered that many young filmmakers have used Olympus PEN in their projects: this is often due to the fact that because Olympus promotes every year 72/48 hour film contest...I was suspiscious at first, however when I've seen some short film realized with PEN ep2 , epl2 etc.. I realized that these cameras could be a good option for "street" and cheap projects...even if the video quality is no doubt worser than gf2 camera, I got the impression that overall quality of PEN, thanks to IS body, is better..

these are some short films I've found on the net..

What do you think about it?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Olympus E PEN line has only software image stabilization.

Gf/Gx are nice. But GX1 + LVF2 is only 3 oz lighter than GH2. The price of GH2 is falling, too. GH1 was only $300 just before it was discontinued. I don't mean GH1/2 make good short films automatically. But I'd carry GH1 or GH2 if I can. Or iPhone 4S. It can record 1080p24 and 720p60 at 50Mbps.

• "GH1 was only $300 just before it was discontinued" ...waiting for gh3, gh2 price will be very convenient ;) just think that today in Italy is very difficult to find used gh1 below 300€...and no warranty at all

I am not a PEN endorser sincerely, anyway..this is another interesting video, nice cinematography with ep2 and 50 mm

https://vimeo.com/groups/ep2/videos/13266673

Nice!

• @stonebat iPhone 4S footage looks nice, but the movement is terribly unnatural i think.

• The Pen definitely seems more popular for stills than video. I did a quick vimeo search and this is the best I could find of the EP1's capabilties.

No exposure lock in video makes rough.

• @CRFilms EP1 is the only PEN model that hasn't fully manual control on video ;) epl1, ep2,epl3 havemanual control iso etc...

I think the best is this: https://vimeo.com/groups/ep2/videos/13266673

• @AlbertZ I don't have much to say about Olympus. As long as you can have fun with E-PEN, go for it. Good luck~!

• here is another video with ep2. I don't like olympus color, look too saturated in low light. But black and white is very good

shooed with ep2 + 50 mm