Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Firmware ver. 0.2?????
  • Hello everyone. I just got my GH2 back from official service (due to a sticking shutter issue) and doing a complete check through menu settings, I discover (after two months waiting...) my Firmware version is back to 0.2 !!! When I tried to load newer firmware following Personal view's procedures (as always) I get a 'No valid picture to play' msg on screen and so I'm stuck with a preproduction version and no HBR among other things... Any ideas to try before I go back to the Panny service shop and start beating someone? (just joking) Thanks a lot in advance, ChemiX

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • AF tracking?

• Preproduction? Any chance of a native 24p HDMI out? :D

• It has AF tracking. Maybe you could send it to Vitaliy?

• @chemi you have my sympathy! Purgatory has a camera repair station near the the Ax Murderers, labeled.... Panasonic Consumer Repair.

• Can you not re-load the official 1.1 firmware, then apply the hack?

• @chemi : You really need to fully charge the battery. Sometimes it will report all bars but not enough charge for a FW flash.

• Firmware 0.2 was the firmware of the GH2 during the Photokina 2010. Indeed, it had AF tracking in that firmware and they removed it in FW 1.0. When I talked with a Panasonic Manager about this (I really wanted AF tracking in the GH2) and told him if I could have FW 0.2 he said, you would not want it. Meaning still many other bugs that were removed with FW 1.0 and 1.1

I would send it back and ask for current FW.

• I'm afraid not... First thing I noticed was quickmenu items were a different color than usual (green) After a quick rundown through the menus I stumbled upon body's firmware ver. 0.2 so I started a search and Ver. 0.2 seems to be a pre-production version (before the cam was out for sale!) Unable to load plain 1.1 nor 1.1 + patch (following procedures as usual) I hunted down ver. 1.0 suspecting a necessary step between 0.2 and 1.1 with no luck either Stock battery fully loaded and card formatted in cam; I've flashed the cam several times before going to service and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it correctly... so, any other ideas?? Thanks in advance Chemi Ferreiro

• Try a higher or lower version increment setting in PTool. Try a different memory card. If those things don't work, I think the camera will need to go back to Panasonic.

• @chemi Interesting find. Before you do any updates you ought to check out if the HDMI out works in 24p. If it does, I'll buy it off you or swap you one of my hackable gh2s. :-)

• Yes please, please check a few things over before returning!

• @Driftwood Hey, such an honor you, all mighty D... Please tell me how to proceed with testing the 24p HDMI out for you and I'll do it... Is it just a matter of playing footage to a tv or do I need special equipment to check things out? I'm in Europe (PAL) and work with macs. @DrDave Tell me what you are interested in and I'll try to do it... I'm no tech guru (like some of you guys out there) but will give it a shot following your instructions, no doubt! Thanks a lot to everyone who pitched in!!

• The infamous menu page...

0_2.JPG
    1296 x 968 - 468K
  • @chemi

I think you can connect it to TV and test. Checking various output option sin setup, of course. Most TVs has ability to show info about format.

• @chemi In the HDMI Out options menu what do you see? Any more than the following?

[1080i]: The interlace method with 1080 available scan lines is used for output. [720p]: The progressive method with 720 available scan lines is used for output. [480p]: The progressive method with 480 available scan lines is used for output.

Also make sure you try it out on a monitor or HDMI device that supports 24p. :-)

• @driftwood options are: auto, 1080i, 720p and 576p...

• Did this ever get resolved?

• Belive it or not, this issue is not over yet!! We had to resort to the local Chamber of Commerce to push Panasonic Spain into swapping that body for a new one... AND STILL WAITING TO RECEIVE IT!!! What a disaster!!!!!

• Try formatting the card (so there's a folder structure on it) then copying the panny v1.1 firmware onto the card and try again

• Well everyone, I finally received a new body from Panasonic España. What a lousy way of treating customers!!! LOUSY, SORRY AND INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

• @chemi and now you know why I won't buy a GH3!

• wasnt this firmware very interesting to try enabling the AF tracking? :)

• AF Tracking works in the GH3 with firmware 1.0

• The GH2 doesn't have Focus Tracking but my G3 does? It's weird that they'd take something out when a lower model has it.