Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic FZ200 topic, 24x zoom with constant F2.8 aperture
  • 350 Replies sorted by
  • @jcmr Burst and stop. With the electronic shutter tyou can have also 40 or 60 fps. I buy it because i was searching for a zoom lens for GH2 and suddenly i see the new FZ200 with parfocal 2.8 !!! Bonus for me was the 100fps HighSpeed (question, there is nothing into the menu to change it to NTSC so i have 120fps?) and i found also that it has SUPERB macro and SUPERB stabilizer. The video quality is very good BUT it is NOT GH2 !!!! So, for me 600euros from amazon.de it is a bargain for all these features, PLUS Vitally wants to hack it!!!

• @jcmr

How are you guys liking the camera so far?

It is pretty good. Not as clean and sharp as my Canon M41, but very few cameras are. I do find myself using the LX7 indoors, where its f1.4 lens really makes a difference in noise, as I can use two stops lower ISO. The LX7 aperture ring is also pretty handy. However, the FZ200 is excellent for all-around performance, especially in well-lit scenes. Superb OIS, excellent focus, a very nice camera indeed.

• @jcmr - Depends what you are wanting. FZ200 really is more like a handycam (e.g. Canon G10/XA10) in size, image quality and controls. I think the lens on the FZ200 is very nice and provides the range I wanted. But make sure your system can handle 60p and that your okay with not being able to shoot 24/25/30p or monitor audio.

• @PatrickGF

I do not agree about handycam here. Handycam is much more suitable for average Joe tasks and FZ200 is not really good for them, starting from handling to the focus, DOF, etc.

Good advantage of FZ200 is wheel and buttons. Main disadvantage - lens, where Panasonic cut costs on all parts possible (noisy OIS, noisy and slow zoom).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I have been looking for reviews and user comments for zoom and OIS noise and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-Digital-Camera-Optical/product-reviews/B008MB6ZX0/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

(Quote): -My unit makes a slight random buzzing noise when just sitting there, not sure what that is yet. Seems to be in present in record mode only. Since it might show up on the sound track and also shorten the battery life I am going to return it and get a replacement. Update: I found that the second unit behaved the same, and since I have to crank the volume up to the max to hear it on the audio track (where I can also hear my breathing) I decided it isn't a problem.

Someone reply: (Quote): I believe the buzzing you're hearing is the OIS making minor corrections; but it also might be the autofocus since that is fully active while recording.

Is this the issue with your FZ200 or is it worse?

• @jcmr

Mine has both OIS noise, and zoom hoise.

• I've used it on a couple of weddings (just as a spare cam to play with) and I'm just not sure. how the hell do you use manual focus? I've switched the zoom rocker over to focus but that's next to useless. The OIS is great as is the zoom. The EVF is very average and I hate the offset mount on the bottom. you have to take the quick release off every time you change the battery.

I've got some reasonable 100fps stuff that I'll use (maybe speed it up x 3 or 4 to give a slight slowmo) but I don't feel I could rely on it for a main camera.

• I've switched the zoom rocker over to focus but that's next to useless

Yep, not good :-) Useful only for slowly and carefully bring object into focus and fix it :-)

The EVF is very average

Main thing here is that they found how to fuck perfectly normal construction, as even G1 viewfinder is not so tunnel and has not so much light leaks.

I hate the offset mount on the bottom.

This is ok, as you can't put it properly on cameras with such lenses.

you have to take the quick release off every time you change the battery.

You can use some other smaller QR plate and some file help.

• Is it easy to install a larger eyecup on FZ200's evf?

• For me a different QR plate is out of the question - every camera & every tripod, slider, glidecam etc have the same mount so I can quickly move from one to the other

• Hi Vitaly,

It seems FZ200 has disappointed you in many ways.. Do you still think if it is worth spending time to hack it? I like FZ200 and I wonder what can be done further when the firmware is hacked..

regards,

Melih

• I haven't noticed noises with my FZ200, but I usually have separate audio recorders anyway. But I will run a test today and check it out. The clips I have recorded with audio came out fine -- but these had a 'normal' level of acoustic background -- I will try some quiet environment - perhaps in the garden...

• @trevmar

Thanks, it will be nice to see if the noise have any impact on the recorded video. Would the FZ200 external mic input minimize or even neutralize any noise coming from zoom or OIS?

• another wedding an another chance to give the FZ200 a run. I still haven't familiarised myself with all the settings but I'm starting to be really impresed. The OIS is stunning, I hate handheld and this doesn't look like hand held - it enabled me to move quickly and grab a shot of the signing when my view with a main camera was blocked. we picked of some guest shots during the evenng and in good light it's terrific (not sure how it will match in with the main footage but it should be okay). it does start to get noisy as the light drops but most of it still looks usable. I'm still frustrated by the lack of manual focus. the best I can do is switch the focus to manual and use the focus button - which works but.. (I'm old, I like a focus ring).

There are things that annoy me but I'm tempted to get another one and try them as the main cameras for a wedding

• @tired

Glad that you like yours. Yep, active mode plus Power OIS is good. Only Sony balanced stabs are better.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Have you tried the 35-100mm IS? It is wonderful. Now I know it isn't remotely close to the focal range of the FZ200. However, you can use the 35-100mm in 1080p ETC mode and the IS will still yield acceptable results.

• @jcmr - I uploaded two video files comparing zoom noise with internal and with Rode VMP. It's under zoom noise here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tfr83z5xbe671sa/EsWJWtULJ1

@Vitaliy_Kiselev "Handycam is much more suitable for average Joe tasks" I completely agree. I was trying to point out the image quality and operation (zoom slider, fixed lens with OIS, battery life) are all more similar to a Handycam then to the GH2, some of that is good and some is not. The FZ200 not letting me see an audio meter is a big issue for me. Would love your advice on a similarly price handycam with similar image quality that has audio monitoring? Thanks

• Would love your advice on a similarly price handycam with similar image quality that has audio monitoring? Thanks

If you understand headphones output under monitoring then top consumer Panasonic cameras and Sony offerings.
    I advise to try Sony TD10, similar price on ebay, 3D, all monitoring. :-)

• @PatrickGF

Thanks for the two videos. The zoom of your camera is very noisy. I haven't noticed that kind of noise on the videos I saw of the FZ200 on the net.

• @jcmr

His zoom is not very noisy, worst cameras exist :-)

• Hi Vitaliy! We expect you will work on FZ200 a little? I would like to use it as a B camera to my GH2/GH3. Although it has no audio monitoring- still this little camera has a great potential ( 1080p 50/60fps, superb stabilization, f.2.8 24x lens ) and if it could be hacked to match at least GH2 image quality, that would be great! ( I pressume fz200 won't be as good in low light as GH2 is, but we will leave it to you - magican )

Lots of greetings!

• Looks like the FZ200 tends to overblow the highlights- but this is the codec case, right?

• The zoom on my US model FZ200 is audible, just like on the test clip from PatrickGF. Partly the problem is that the audio quality and sensitivity is so good to start with. It was tough for me to stop the sound of my breathing being picked up by the microphones. You can also hear the zoom with your ears, if the surroundings are quiet enough.

• @trevmar

During shooting FZ200 restrict zoom speed significantly, otherwise it'll be much much louder.
    I remember same sound and behaviour on old cameras.

• @Vitaliy Yes, but I prefer a very slow zoom for video anyway. My Canon M41 camcorder has three programmable speeds - I use the lowest. Nothing is worse (IMO) than a fast zoom during a video...