Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Street photography Video with 25 mm f1.4 cctv
  • I like very much old street photography, 60's B/W grainy style and I've found on vimeo a video made with only a cctv 25 mm 1.4 and gh1. It has a very 16mm look, great for a cheapy lens...high contrast!

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • which lens?

Also an excellent documentary.

• Probably a no name brand since it vignette's like a lot of them do. This is why shooting B&W is one of the best "CHEATS" out there. The worse your original color footage is, the better a B&W shot it could make. To me, the best B&W should be gritty, dirty, edgy...this vid is a great example. Overexposed, washed out, doesn't matter in B&W.

On both cams, GH1&2, if you shoot max iso in B&W, you get a noisy image, but the noise looks like regular film grain with no FPN. Perfect for night shoots. You can easily use 3200 iso on the GH1 and 12000 iso on the GH2. GH2 footage shot in BW, I think in Vibrant, in EXT mode and it also had that grainy look. Use that during the day.

I've only done some tests with the GH1 and B&W Smooth makes iso 3200 usable. Not sure of GH2 outside what that link says.

EDIT: Posted above just seeing the B&W, just got to color and even the color footage has a nice grainy old school 16mm look to it. Cheap CCTV lenses and 16mm processing go great together.

• The fact that the documentary was compelling, I wanted to see more, trumps any grain, vignetting etc. But the look of the film was great. In the opening shots, it bothered me that the photographer couldn't keep the subject in focus. But after that I think he was at a much smaller f stop and focus was less of an issue. I will watch it again. Also, sound wasn't bad.

Just a note it is listed that they used cinegrain.Used the 16mm 200 Cinegrain on this doc

• @CRFilms I've just watched the video, great video ;)

As far as the use of cheapy 25 mm cctv lens for gritty B&W, I think that these fast lens (in particular 25mm, which is 50mm eq) having a central zone very sharp let to increase contrast.The only problem is the "bohek" too peculiar, too smooth at the corner, however I think that cropping the footage at 4:3 (most 16mm film use this 1.33 ratio) would be interesting..

Another video shooted with cctv 25 mm 1.4 and...little GF1: these cameras have a smaller sensor, so they don't present a huge distorsion/vignetting.. not grainy, however a bit of Cinegrain 200... ;) I think that GF1/GF2, at highest ISO + 25 cctv 1.4 could become very interesting and compact camera for "street shooting"...

• As anyone tried using color filters when shooting B&W? i know of its effect for photography but not sure when shooting video. I've been considering getting a couple of filters a red filter and a blue filter that will make magenta when stacked up... Anyone got any experience with this or any examples?

• Might even be not a cheap CCTV lens, but a Kern Switar. Great glass, but made for 16mm and a 25 will be soft in the corners and vignette mildly. Longer ones don't vignette, but a 10mm will vignette massively.

• Pretty cool lens. The ANC is one of the most racist regimes in history, but objectively it took some nice shots.