Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
OS X can't recognize 1 hour + spanned footage using Cbrandin 44mb/s
  • Hi, on my last two gigs, one an hour and a half concert and the other a 2 hour reading, @ the end of the night when I plugged my 64gb Sandisk 90mb/s into a mac to transfer the footage, OS X said it couldn't recognize the card and asked if I wanted to "initialize" it! I thought I'd lost the footage, but when I got home and plugged my card into my windows 7 machine, the files were there like normal. Is anyone else seeing this happen? thx, Jayson youtube.com/AWDEfilms

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah I tried a second card reader, also tried it from within the camera and neither worked.

• Yep. Get a USB3 card reader - preferably the Sandisk one and all should be compatible (not that you need it to be USB3) but I know that one works with all macs and Hackintoshes. :-) I had your problem when I tried loading a 64Gb card onto a friends mac with sdcard reader. I changed it/ stuck in the Sandisk one and all was fine.

• Yeah unfortunately i have the sandisk usb 3 card reader that's the first one i tried whsen i got asked to initialize. Could it have something to do with exfat on os x?

Side note why are windows and os x so initialize happy. How many folks new to computers stick a windows/os x into the wrong operating system and then press yes initialize which sounds like something u would want to do to get at your data not to erase it. I know they probably have warnings about it erasing all your data but who reads that :)

• Hmmm thats got me thinking, perhaps I may have loaded certain drivers/codecs/proggies on the Mac that just simply made it work. Cross between fcpx, Panasonics AVC card reader utils AVCRestorer/AVC CamViewer, Clipwrap, Movist, and a few other things may help 'pull it'! ANyway, now you'll probably have to read it on a diffwerent Mac/PC and copy it back over/or to an external HD... etc...

• Similar thing happened on my Macbook built in reader. Blew air into it and it reads fine since.

• yeah this happened in 2 different instances on 2 different macs about a month apart, one was my old ass imac with 10.4 installed the other was a newer macbook pro with like 10.5+ installed (it was the clients so not sure exactly)

• hey and driftwood while i have your ear do you know if it's possible to further hack to the gh2 to be able to monitor audio out while recording?

• figured it out, the card was formated to the new EXfat format and i don't think OS x plays nice with that yet.