Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • Hey guys Im shooting an 1890s-ish peroid piece-cinematic-short film this weekend. Here is my dilema....I have 3 cards -One 32 gig 45Mb EXtreme Pro Sandisk, One 32 gig 95Mb Sandisk Extreme Pro and 1 30MB Extreme Sandisk... I need to pick a good 1 GOP patch for shooting flat with high contrast look applied through grading and correction. The film is entirely outdoors and obviously leafy trees will be in the photography from time to time....

Was thinking maybe Sedna C?.... Thoughts- Suggestions I appreciate any advice.

EDIT- Ok I think to be safe Ill do Sedna A Q20 then...Thx @driftwood

• @DeShonDixon Just wanted to commend you on that fantastic video you posted a few days back. A real fantastic example of what the GH2 can do..not to mention those artists caught me by surprise. They were alot better than i expected especially the 1st guy

• @Nameless Thank you very much sir! I would tell the artists but they're in jail right now :/

• @DeShonDixon wow...that's not good at all... wasted talents....

Your video is making me want to switch back to Sedna... I love canis night personally but I'm finding hard to keep up with @driftwood and the many treats he has given us...keep up the good work

• @Nameless Yeah Sedna is great! I love the sharpness! I just upgraded to 95mb 64gb card so I might try out the burst mode hack. Do you know if its any good or sharper than Sedna? I might just stick with Sedna.

• @Sangye nice video @DeshonDixon Canis majoris Night is better than sedna when it comes to color correction and grading. sedna A is sharp but cm night is more filmlike with sufficient sharpness. you can push cm night upto iso2000 without any noise or little. sedna A cannot be pushed over iso1250 it introduces lots of noise above 1250.same video whch @Sangye uploaded will look better if it is CM night.

• @feha nice video,...keep it up frnd. i will patch to cluster v9b soon ;)

• Ok, I'm going to go on record here. As I get asked all the time what are my favourite personal shooting settings. Mysteron 24p is my fun patch and the burst mode is pretty killer but it will stop recording at some stage.

All round Settings: 24p - Sedna A Q1 as an all rounder, though A Q20 provides great lower bitrate performance. It has the edge over Quantum 9B. Plus it took me an age developing & experimenting with matrixes for finer Chroma/Luma.

Night: 24p - Canis Majoris 'Night' Setting. I just love it for my evening Dusk to near Dawn Shots. However, I may release Day AM after further evaluations.

Documentary/Event Shooting: All REC Modes: Cluster v5 12/15. And I will soon be adapting some new matrix ideas for this. Currently the Q target is 16 and stays on it on motion water tests beating all GOPs greater than 1.

Green Screen: 24p/720p - Crossfire 'Green Screen' setting has worked very well for me.

I love all my 2012 settings regardless of what people think. They all serve a purpose else I wouldn't have bothered. What is critical is YOUR feedback, this is why I upload all the settings that I am solely satisfied with to test further in the public domain. I refuse to believe that one man can judge which is best and I do indeed LOVE and LISTEN to your feedback - it IS taken on board. Whether I reply or not. I get a ton of emails, and PV pms everyday so sometimes its difficult.

I'm very impressed with bkmcwd's 3GOP 24p modes too - and they look superb with Sedna matrix from my own tests.

To be honest, I'm not happy with any HBR/1080i/720p modes and I have personally found it difficult to find exceptional results in these modes through a variety of GOPs.

Intra SH/FSH: 720p50 as you have seen in early Driftwood Intra releases is pretty good. However, 720p60 cannot work for more than 4 seconds at Intra. Both 720 modes when adjusted affect 1080i/HBR modes (well documented in the past). 1080i/HBR Intra isn't too bad for both 30p/60i/25p/50i, however, the longer GOPs 2 (Mozes has done good work here), GOP3 see Driftwood settings, 6 Driftwood, bkmcwd and Lee Powell's are good, 12/15 GOP cbrandin or Cluster and RalphB's 18 GOP (I think Im correct?) have their followers.

When it comes to flowing detail @LongJohnSilver 's severe test (fine detail underwater) has killed many a setting including my own. I would recommend filming in 24p Intra in this situation and pro-up to 29.97fps in post. But its just a fix. I would like to see how CLuster v5 gets on with that scene before dedicating more time to these settings. Reports from drewnetwork suggest that Cluster v4 12/15 GOP handles detail and motion very very well... and Cluster v5 should help accomodate detail even further. I am looking to refine the matrix further for Cluster for these Long GOPs and sort out the laws of P and B frames (Ps really should be bigger than Bs I'm afraid and I don't believe they should share the same matrix).

A HBR Shootout, 720p Shootout and 24p Shootout is probably unfair as some people provide settings for lower bitrate consumption but as you know I always test for quality that is my objective and for that matter, bitrate always seems to be king - though a good sampling with P and B frames can get very good results. Maybe we will never get there... before the next camera comes out. But there's a whole choice of great settings out there be it cbrandin's, bkmcwd's, Lee's, Ralph's, Cake, mine and more... Whatever works and rocks your senses - use.

@MichelleLane When I do screen grabs on my Machack (Shift + Cmd + 3) the monitor resolution attached gets grabbed. In this case the monitor is in this particular case a Dell running at 2560 x 1440 resolution. Hence the size of the 'screen grab'.

• @rajamalik But canis night doesn't work during the day as well as sedna a1

• @Nameless Nevermind they just got out haha. They were only in for like 2 days.

• Everything shot in Cluster v4 12/15 GOP, (24H). Shutter speed: 50.

VIDEO BELOW: Reduced footage at "starting gate" to 35% speed play, sharpened=10. Looks a bit better, but I'd like another shot at it with different settings. I would have used settings that allowed 1080/60 and up'd the ISO and shutter, then reduced down to 1080p/24Hz or 1080p/30Hz in post, for slow motion. Just wanted to see slow motion capabilities at 1080 scale.

• Just stopped in to leave a note about "Cluster v4 12/15GOP variation" and saw the Globular release. There's more running water around here than you can shake a GH2 at -- I'll mess with it this weekend. I don't know anything about that "drewnetwork" guy -- but I'll bet the bastard's head won't fit through doors when he hears he's got a Driftwood "settings" dedication.

Anyway -- REGARDING Cluster v4 12/15GOP variation...

Today we shot footage for a television ad for a charity that helps children and adults with developmental disabilities (formerly known as "retarded"). We used Cluster V4 12/15GOP. It'll be on regional television within weeks.

I really can't say enough good things about V4 12/15gop. The images are spectacular -- and in terms of "holding up" in post -- it absolutely trounces ALL-I footage from a 5D Mark 3. I've just come off of hours adjusting levels and curves -- and raising gamma, gain, and pedestals. Eventually I was just throwing crap at the footage to see it break down -- and it didn't (all of this in Premiere CS6).

I've attached a frame from today's footage to this post. That's a teacher working with a developmentally disabled young adult. I downscaled the dimensions -- that's it -- that's how the footage looks coming out of the camera.

So -- the point of this note was to praise V4 12/15gop and to encourage any of you who haven't messed with it to give it a try -- BUT -- it appears this point is now obsolete with V5. So, yeah -- give V5 a try!

Sequence-01.jpg
    1100 x 619 - 194K
  • Went on a hike yesterday and shot some stuff with Mysteron. Didn't have time to update to the latest patch, although it would have been nice check out some of the newer releases. Thanks again Driftwood!

• @L1N3ARX very very nice

• AQ1 Max detail VS Q20 Max Detail? Any opinions on anyone who made further testing? Thanks guys!

• @DeShonDixon who said canis majoris night wont work in day???? this is funny. very very funny. it do work in day with a little more light in the shot, because of its coma and luma adjustments. all u need is to add 25+ or more in shutter speed. example if you are taking a shot in 1/50 you will require 1/80 for canis majoris night. slight light touch is there. it uses maximum possible light in your shot so you need the shutter speed to get the perfect exposure. i compared canis majoris night with sedna A personally over 3 shoots. because i own 2 gh2. i initially started canis majoris night in one cam and sedna A in other.if you have doubt do this way.

1. take sedna A shoot in a spot at day light morning som shots and afternoon some shots.
    2. second day take canis majoris night do the same take the same shots at the same time, make sure there aint any clouds.
    3. convert both canis majoris and sedna A footage in apple prores 422 hq or cineform.
    4. load them all in your nle co color correction and desired grading use any nle and plugins depends on how they support cineform and prores. (final cut pro x or 7 for prores or premiere, vegas or aftereffect for cineform).

5.now render them in maximum quality. 6.watch it by yourself.6. now tell other how canis killed sedna A.

@obscura @thepalalias @xp50 @sohus

sir @driftwood already refined it to its max. my friend @obscura tried to improve many settings from the master. i was inspired by obscura and tried some techniques yesterday, which i learned from him ;).but after intensive test i realized that sir driftwood maximized canis night. i found an error or a purposeful setup in the default canis majoris patch too.

@driftwood sir you had experimented the mjpeg frame rate adjustment in canis majoris night. canis night mjpeg only records 2 frames because of this. everyone who has canis majoris can now set the framerate of mjpeg from 30 to 24 or 24 to 30 using 720p30->720pXfps=2 this is default u can set it to 24 or to 30. it works.simply remove this line 720p30->720pXfps=2 from the ini file you will get 30fps mjpeg.

@driftwood superb sir, you are a genius. i realized that i should never ever try something out of your patches. if i am skilled i should try on my own he he,..from 0. not from your patches. your patches are unique and at its max.i apologize for whatever i did sir. i am not supposed to touch your patches. you are very generous to welcome and encourage me to modify it.

@driftwood but in one day i learned some very important things which is very common and everyone should know. 1.1080p24 Frame Limit=6088080 this line here decides how much your frames are taken up. the more this is the more you get the iframe count towards i900. the difference between mysteron and mysteron burst lies here.

2.1080i Top Setting=98828 1080i Bottom Setting=83179 these 2 lines decides the peak bitrate so the 1080i falls between 83mbit to 98mbit. which is also matched with Video Bitrate FSH/SH=100600000.all these 3 lines are worked connectively. raising only one line wont change anything better.

1. @driftwood the biggest doubt i got from canis majoris night is here Video Bitrate FH/H=64000000 if its is 64mbit the top and bottom should be below this rite i mean more or equal to 64mbit?? but here it goes 720p Top Setting=96402 720p Bottom Setting=75394 if the top is in 96mbit. why the bitrate is in 64mbit?? sir i am sry if i asked anything wrong.

@driftwood thank you for teaching the ways to me.

• @retrospective take Sedna A AQ1 for max details. 100% assured

• @rajamalik Thanks I've never even tried Canis Night before I just heard it was for night and thought night only so I didn't touch it. What about Canis PM?

• Just a slight addendum to what @rajamalik said. Many of us prefer to do the compensation with aperture as opposed to shutter, but both methods can work of course. I am just one of those guys that goes to great lengths to get as close to 180 degree shutter as I can most of the time. :)

• @thepalalias @DeshonDixon Canis majoris day pm is a reduced value of luma and coma from cm night matrix. Which handles light a bit softer. The color and detail matrix of all canis series is the same only difference falls on lighting. details and color matrix of daypm dayam and night are the same. If they are different you will suffer in post atleast in color and details of each shot.canis majoris sst is a diffirent patch it holds more if soften up matrix which is meant only for closeup and mid angle portraits on people.if you are taking a closeup dialog mid range conversation shot girl romance personality style etc u use sst. ;) The thing I found from canis majoris night is it actually improves low light shooting. In low light indoor light night street studio high light u will require iso. It depends on u r condition the lux u get out of your available lights. in day u don't require iso at all.you can keep it in 200 or less.when you require iso canis majoris night plays its role. That's why it's meant as canis majoris night. The name doesnt means anything to do with only night But it actually means that this patch can perform well with low light darkness artificial light it does its work by maximizing your luma and coma values.the maximum value in matrix for light capturing. Light is everything a camera requires so canis night is the best for its extreme fundamentalism. apature can also be adjusted like @thepalalias said but it will affect other lens oriented features jn your shot like sharpness edge distortion bokeh and light so keep things according to requirement.with shutter you can affect 3 things light natural and artificial, speed of subject, sharpness on moving object. always use ND4 filters nd8 is a over kill nd2 makes u need more of it. I hope this helps.thx

• So sedna a aq1 over the newest crossfire VY Canis Majoris 'Skintone matrix' + Cluster Setting ?

• The drollness-ridden smirk of drewnetwork will now be unstoppable.

• Ah, now I left out Skintone - I really like Canis Skintone matrix. Lets not forget that one.

Cluster note: You don't have to lessen the bitrate settings on any of the Clusters. These are set to the highest testing/highest detail I could muster without failing. Most footage as in facial shots, run and gun, average scenery detail will utilise a lot lower bitrate automatically. The quality is measured - as in it will use bitrate according to detail.

• Another Sedna video. What impressed me looking over this footage was the dynamic range. The sun was exceptionally bright, but I was able to expose for the sky without crushing the shadows one bit.

• Some exceptional testing results of Cluster v5 against the best of any other settings beyond GOP1 will be published this weekend.

@Sangye I love your footage - your dog seems deep in thought - contemplating its place in the moment, the universe... the prospect of this great height - I wonder what this dog (Isis?) is thinking... very dramatic - and then his/her senses of its whereabouts towards the end as it turns... and the other dog who has not a care... Superb moment captured. Exceptional. And it looks great. Well done.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions