Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sensor cleaning, Eclipse, dust membrane? (GF1)
  • Hello Vitaly and all the community, I am here to kindly ask you for some advice.

My near three years old GF1 collected some dust on the sensor that I'm not able to blow out with my Giotto blower. I have searched the web for viable solutions (other than sending the camera for service) and learned something about the so called "Wet method" sensor cleaning technique based on Eclipse, swabs and PEC-PADs.

But during my research I have read somewhere that in the Panasonic bodies there is a dust protective membrane (part of the anti dust system) placed over the low pass filter of the sensor, preventing the direct access to the low pass filter surface and I don't know if this is true or not.

I guess that you, by dismantling some panasonic body, looked at the sensor many times and coud give me some advice regarding this issue: do you ever noticed that the exposed sensor is covered by a sort of dust membrane or something else? Because if there is such a membrane I think that it is not possible to directly clean the sensor without damaging the membrane and/or the sensor. And more in general, do you have some experience regarding this issue?

Any comment/suggestion is welcome and will be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for the attention.

Ciao :)