Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is it worth getting Color Checker Passport?
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • @lunelson Effects>Utility>Color Profile Converter. Will work if x-rite color passport can produce real ICC color profiles.
    @andres see attached screenshot, if you do not understand ask questions

ProLost has some nice writeups about color workflow in AfterEffects
    icctolut.JPG
    353 x 439 - 34K
    icctolut.JPG
    353 x 439 - 34K
  • @dkitsov
    I have the calibr8 colorchart SG and I am able to do icc profiling with the macbeth profile maker software, but I have never seen something that can transform icc to lut.
    If you have a link to something please let me know.
    so far I've couldn't incorporate the workflow for video just for stills.

• Hmm. Do you know which AE effect specifically could interpret a color profile from the X-rite passport? It would be interesting to do it that way, just to neutralize footage before editing. I'm looking at doing that as a first step since I also have to convert to an edit format anyway and I can render that out of AE (e.g. ProRes, DNxHD, whatever)
  • What is possible is to use after effects and use built in convert to profile etc effects. After Effects is a fully color managed application. In addition there are lots of apps floating around that let you do icc/icm>LUT conversion. After Effects is a LUT aware application. I do feel it would be an overkill though. It seems much easier to properly white balance your shot and then color grade it to the way you like (for example qualify a yellow region that bothers you and then dial it down in the ColorFinesse (ships for free with AE), perception of what is accurate varies from person to person...
  • Is it possible to install the custom color profile into Photoshop CS5?

If yes, I wonder if it's possible to use Photoshop CS5 to apply color correction on each frame in a video file.
  • Anyone know a way to apply a camera profile to video? It would be nice because the GH color response in video mode is a bit distorted: oversaturation of yellow in the shadows for example.
  • I have it and am satisfied with the purchase. I love that it is a complete all in one system. Color calibration and an 18% grey card for white balance in a slim sturdy compact hard case that you can throw in a small bag or large pocket. It also comes with calibration software that recognizes the passport in an image and automatically creates a color profile.

The size advantage is also a disadvantage as each chart is small and you need to be fairly close when shooting.
    Overall it is a bargain for the passport and software in one easy to use package.
  • I don't know.
    It depends on your needs.
    You can check chinese color books on ebay and photo sites on how to use them for color calibration.
    And how reliable they are.