Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using The Panasonic GH2 To Broadcast live video stream?
  • I have to shoot my high school's graduation video, but the thing is I have to broadcast it live on Skype for a Iraq Soldier so he can see his sons graduation and wanna shoot it with my GH2. How would I go about doing this with my GH2?

• 32 Replies sorted by
  • You will need a HDMI or composite capture device that appears as a camera input for skype

• Yes I have one and also is there anyway I could do it wirelessly? With like an eyefi card?

• I have no experience with the eyefi cards. I am skeptical that the card would be able to do simultaneous read and write. And/or am skeptical that it is engineered .. to some how pass the stream to it's transmitter while writing.

It will definetely introduce lag .. also it's tiny, do you know the effective range of the eyefi?

• Oh alright thanks

• The fastest EyeFi cards are class 6. The transmission speed is well below that. I seriously doubt you could capture and stream at the same time because:

• 1.6 Mbps (achieved top speed from a few reviews) won't support IQ that you could even call "decent".

• There would always a big lag because the card can't transfer files that haven't been fully written. In other words you would have to reach 4GB of footage before it transmits.

You'll need to tackle the HDMI route as I see no other way.

• EyeFi can't be used for anything like it.

As for broadacst - best solution is to buy or rent good web camera.

• That is a cool idea, everynow and then, I mount a camcorder on the top of my EX1 to get two shot sizes

• Using a RX TX 5.8Ghz with a HDMI converter box (with 5v battery supply for each) will give you wireless analogue outputs, however i'm not sure how turn the analogue outputs into a webcam for Skype.

Receiver/Transmitter (less quality but longer distance) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-8Ghz-FPV-Video-A-V-TX-RX-200mW-2-0Km-RC-Plane-Car-/250794313653?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3a648187b5

Hdmi Converter (I've got this one and it works) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-Composite-3-RCA-AV-CVBS-S-video-Converter-DVD-CRT-TV-PS3-Apple-TV-/320886614482?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item4ab65529d2

Or the WHDI Sender that inputs HDMI and Outputs an Hdmi digital signal in the other side via 5.8Ghz (I have one of these for my tv at home but untested as i'm not sure if HDMI protection might interfere with the signal)

Hope this helps.. :)

• @DeShonDixon

have a look at this article I just posted here. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3238/wireless-hdmi-and-smallhd-dp6-interesting-article#Item_1

It may be relevent to your needs if you are able to get/convert the HDMI into your computer

• eyefi only sends the video AFTER you stop recording, not while recording. It needs the file to be complete before it sends it over wifi.

WHDI is great to get it to your computer. put your receiver within 5 meter range of your camera though, to be sure. Then you can walk around freely without loosing the video signal (i've tested it myself). See this topic for a few devices.

• what HDMI capture card are you using btw?

• KISS

Free Skype app + iPhone.

Attach iPhone to your shoulder rig. I did it over 3G connection, if the reception is not so good, do WiFi.

• My WHDI is currently installed about 15 meters apart and is crystal clear even though there are two walls inbetween, but i agree 5 meters if you are moving around i'd say maybe even 10-25 meters if you stay reasonably still with no obstructions.

The only question is; how do you get that hdmi signal to skype? My primitive mind think you should plug it into a hdmi screen ie, lilliput or similar and position it so that the computer webcam can see the image...

Problem solved...? ;b

• I like the skype app idea, sometimea these things stare us in the face and and we dont see it... Lol there seem to be quite a few video skype apps

• @ssh you mean to shoot with iphone instead of GH2? Guy wants to shoot with his GH2.

• HDMI out of GH2 into a black magic intensity card, and software than can see that card. We use wirecast, allows multiple sources and live mixing and basic CGI titling etc.

Keep in mind most web broadcasts are not in HD, most are SD due to bandwidth concerns on your end and the viewers end , unless you have some sort of a trans coding going on for low bandwidth viewers.

So really a good quality webcam would work.. but it is all "automagic" , your not going to get much for manual controls, we use a cheap c310 Logitech for a 4th camera that's a behind the scenes "studio cam", its HD resolution but its colors etc are nasty compared to a decent camera like a gh2 or even our older ENG cameras. but it doesnt really matter for that camera.. its not important video , just used during breaks to fill time with something other than a graphic or pre-recorded roll.

A good used SD cam would be better than a web camera , use fire wire to connect to the PC. We use a early HDV Sony as our 3rd camera via firewire , works well.

• @DirkVoorhoeve Have you ever used Skype? How big of a difference do you think you will see between iPhone and GH2 footage in Skype over a sat link? Don't overengineer stuff, pay attention to the objective and find the least complicated and the most reliable solution. T34 vs Tiger kinda thing.

• Some months ago a friend of mine and I did some experiments of what camera would give the best visual results with Skype.

Among those we could try, the winner was the Sanyo Xacti HD2000 - it's one of the few cameras which have a relatively good (fixed 10x zoom) lens, can capture 1080p60, and it has a dedicated "web camera" mode where it transmits live data via USB 2.0. (Alas, the Xacti HD 2000 is not sold anymore - and I don't know how good the Panasonic successors to the Xacti line are regarding their "Web camera" profile.)

• @jakef Thanks that helps a lot

• @ssh Yeah I wanna shoot it with my GH2 but I could use a IPhone the quality wouldnt make a difference

• @DirkVoorhoeve Uh yeah I could probably shoot it with an IPhone

• I think the viewer in Iraq will be happy camper seeing it and hearing live at low rez .. and then receiving the beautiful GH2 shot bluray in the mail.

I too would have overengineered it. Many wise words guys

• Thanks you everybody for all the help!!

• No worries, glad there was usefull ideas. I was looking onto this when i was trying to strap my GH2 to my trex500 heli to see what what the is camera seeing. I still havent flown my heli; it's a very consuming hobbie to master and i dont have that much time. Much prefer using free time with the Gh2.

I agree the easiest for you would be to strap an Iphone or similar video skype device together with the GH2 to your camera rig. WiFi signal may be more reliable.? This way you have a secure live skype feed as well as gh2 quality footage to keep. :)