Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Looking for GF6 Firmware Hacks
  • Hopefully one day the GF6 firmware will also be hacked.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • If you are a programmer you may do it.

Don’t expect it anytime soon from this page. Vitally has long term contract with panafriends for not hacking anything anymore.

• So he seems to be benefitting from capitalism after all and is actually being compensated to do nothing (almost like an extortion payment)? Interesting.

• Indeed my friend. Indeed.

• @endotoxic

Stop posting fantasies :-) I can assure you nothing of any sort ever existed.

• @Vitaliy
    Good to hear and to have that debunked.
    )
  • @Vitaliy_kiselev Then why you did not developed further hacks for subsequent cameras ?

There was an unknown deal between pana you driftwood and all the OGs from this forums to not further develop any hack.

Why not hack gh6 ?

Even driftwood got all wrapped up with Panasonic as an representative.

• @endotoxic

Because it became impossible.

Nick indeed had relations with Panasonic but only as small test and PR person, but it happened quite a time after development became impossible.

You can look at Sony cameras. Same thing. I had site and still at wiki we have all info about them.

• Well, I just don't see the hack development as anywere near the same weight that PV aquired later as a community. It was great in the start, I used it when I was a student, it was fun. But the forum itself became a lot more relevant than hack availbility itself.

Sincerelly, I doubt hacks are the best piece of thing to worry into a workflow right now, even magic lantern don't apeal to me that much, I'm much more into gear that don't need to be hacked in the first place and PV even acomplished to influence something into camera development decisions.

In the impeding doom :) , I would much more prefer that this chunk of knowledge producers here goes into another direction than hacking products to get a few more breadcrumbs.

• @RoadsidePicnic

Look at the start of this video, or whole Louis channel, it has similar history.

• If you're gonna hack something just get a GH2 and have fun. Still amazed when I pull up my old footage. I understand the shortcomings compared to modern camera's but the image still stands up on it's own. I actually saw an older gentleman here in Japan shooting Some photos of cherry blossoms using a GH2 last week. Funny thing is when I had a GH2 I think I only saw one other out and about and it was a friend that got it on my advice. I took a quick photo of the gentleman using it.. will try to dig it up and post it sometime. As far as future hacks, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but the GH2 came from the factory at something like 15 megabits per second.. VK and all got it pushing 200! The more high end practical patches were around 150 megabits, which being a 1080p image is sorta the equiv of having 600Mb/s on a 4K image.. so basically only in the last few years have we been able to buy that level of Data per pixel.. but that is also why future hacks are unlikely, at least to the extent of what was done with the Early G series cameras. There was a need, and VK made dreams come true for many, myself included. I have the best possible video for the time and my budget of my newborn child and his first years of life due to the work done here, and it propelled me forward in video and now photography. My crippled GH2 (broken ribbon cable) still sits on a shelf where I can see it, and I do plan to fix it someday just for nostalgia shooting. As for VK being in Panasonics pocket.. nooo, I met with them personally for this channel, and when they realized (my fault) that VK was the one who hacked their crippled fw camera into a wonderful beast it became very difficult to get my interview in and I could only meet with management privately.