Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @5thwall Michael, that was a fantastic demo of Sedna Set A Q20 settings. Thanks for that. Good work. AQ1 will push it even more for detail but will work the cpu and sdcard harder. Let me tell you all my initial testing was done on Q20 and I'm very pleased with it - its almost a proper truly measured AQ2. AQ1 with Sedna is like AQ3-4 of old but finely tuned and more balanced Q.

Note that Etc mode will add around 20M+ more bitrate to the settings hence why I have left the bitrate settings alone to compensate. My own tests with Etc mode prove that Sedna is more noise free than before. Not totally gone, but much better.

• Keeping with the theme of larger-than-life (and in this case, fairly inappropriate) music, here's this afternoon's test footage using Sedna set_a Q20. It was a pretty gray day here, so just tried to focus on some details in the neighborhood. Used ETC mode and non-ETC on the Voitlander 25mm. Lens was bare, no nd filters. Had to clamp down to f16 most of the time. Shot standard 0,0,0,0.

In FCPX, fixed contrast across all shots. Overall, I'm happy with the look and will be using this one for some upcoming shoots.

What is the difference between the AQ1 and Q20 versions?

• Thanks @Oedipax. @cosimo_bullo haven't really studied the ISO's, had tons on lately. Your still caps there look fantastic. Car shot looks so clean. @Hallvalla :) @5thwall thanks, and driftwood's beer is getting rather warm and flat here now..

• @lumina Thanks for the chilled beer. I thoroughly enjoyed that. :-)

• @rajamalik "they are not selling because they are not doing this as a business."

Oh no, we're talking about the companies holding back... not VK and Drift.

• @bwhitz they are not selling because they are not doing this as a business. Sir driftwood and vitality they are just friends they are sharing their experience and works with fellow users of gh2.the gh2 Similarity connected us all in here.off course even friends take donation and funds for something someday. it's common so no need to mention all these is a different way. We know we live we use we help we do all is well.

• Car 160 Nikkor 50 1.2 at f5.6. Face same lens at f2, 320ISO.

160 looks really different to my eye with Sedna. Better. Not needing the noise of higher ISOs to break up backgrounds as before.

neighborscar.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    profileISO320nikkor50atf2.png
    1920 x 1083 - 2M
  • @lumina fun! that was great. and it made me thirsty for beer. so, even better.

• @lumina Drank about 10 years worth of Coopers in six months in Adelaide. Hard to find here in California. Good choice. :) Incredible shots, nice work.

• @bwhitz - Unfortunately, I feel you may be correct... and yet Nikon, for one, could really use an expert like Nick. They have NOTHING to loose after all.

• I shot mostly ISO 160 today. Not much in the way of skies, so I can't speak to banding, but it looks great otherwise.

• @cosimo_bullo "Dear Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, and Canon Execs:

If you haven't contacted Mr Nick Driftwood to assist in the implementation of your next video codecs, then you're not doing your job."

Something tells me these guys are not really interested in giving people the best codec for the money...

I think it's something more like "what's the least amount of work we can do... while still appearing like we're improving something?"

...or

"This is great! Good work engineers! ...just make it worse for now, so we can keep selling minor improvements for the next 6 years."

• Question/comment: has this brought ISO160 back to life? I'm seeing much less macroblocking in smooth areas.

• @lumina, looks superb, well done!

• @driftwood There seem to be regular offers on this forum of much beer for you from around the world, so thought i'd send you a virtual cold one from my kitchen here in Australia. Shot last night in between work after downloading Sedna. Used AQ1 (A) with Voigtlander 25mm, Nikon 50mm, 85mm & 105mm Macro - Sandisk 32GB 95Mbps card. No probs so far with use, but haven't had time to test much yet.

Thanks for all your hard work and to @Vitaliy_Kiselev (and all the other main contributors and users of this forum of course) for making a really fun camera to use very, very capable. "Cheers!"

(warning - overly dramatic music..)

• Any tip on fixing the 0.5 sec silence at the start of each clip? I use GH2 for weddings so real time audio is crucial.

• Dear Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, and Canon Execs:

If you haven't contacted Mr Nick Driftwood to assist in the implementation of your next video codecs, then you're not doing your job.

• @Kount_Michula what abt noise performance compared to previous patches. there are slight changes when u test it above iso 1000 to iso 2000. especially i feel iso 200 looks like iso 1600 from previous. a much better reduction. i Dont know am i only feeling like this or all???????? big Q in head???

• @rajamalik Not yet. I tend to prefer any setting or method for softening the image, just as a matter of taste. I will give it a try though.

• @Kount_Michula awesome sedna C... what abt sedna A did u tried out A with wide shot. ;)

• Update: Okay, so it turns out I -was- shooting Sedna A. I just got mixed up because it was the third option in PTool because of how the .ini files were named. Footage coming soon. Looks awesome.

• Sedna 'C' (AQ1). Standard (-2x4). Olympus 12mm F2 & 45mm F1.8.

Lovely work, Mr Driftwood! The subtle gradations in sky and cloud are the best I've seen yet!

When you refer to deblocking, are you referring to edge sharpening shimmer sometimes seen in subject or camera motion?

sedna12mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    sedna45mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @jpb1138 yes they are too close compared all sedna with orion v4b. see sedna A looks same as orion v4b the only difference we see is the sharpness and details. i took lanterns for test. switched off them and took them in room light,..each crystal was so sharp in sedna Aq1 A. i then tried Sedna Aq1 B. it is so similar to orion v4b. no difference, may be they differ technically i am not so much into it. but with naked eyes i see them as same. orion v4b looks sharper then sedna aq1 c. yes Sedna C is so flat and soft. not very noticeable but u can find it in some turns in edge. softness is there for sure. all of them are so near. in details we can say sedna A then Sedna B then Orion v4b then Sedna C,. for details test for for something like grass or in woods something with lot, like i tried with lantern lights.

then the noise is off course different for noise the rank goes this way the most reduced noise sedna c then Sedna B then Sedna A and the forth Orion v4b. i Dont know this is how i feel. if anybody finds out more of this let me know, i am very eager to see whats up over this.

if it comes to low noise and super details sedna A wins orion v4b if it comes to low noise Sedna b wins orion v4b and ties in details if it comes to low noise sedna c wins all the above but naturally less sharper than all the above. all sedna iso 2000 looks like iso 1600 of orion v4b. i dont know how sir driftwood reached a step ahead.i felt like i have a gh3 a new sensor with much more improvement in noise. i will test all this in day and will review again.

but going to get some work on orion v4b with new deblocking matrix. i love to see the official Avc intra matrix with the new deblocking setting. thank u so much sir driftwood and vitality!!

• Yeah driftwood said that differences are very small between matrices. Probly difficult to see the difference without very close inspection of still frames.

• Ah, now I see it spelled out very plainly in the first post. Not sure how I got turned around. For the softest matrix, C is still quite nice even for landscapes!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions