Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
  • So, have had my Intel six core (HT) cheapo system for some time now, using Premiere Pro. I can't say it's zippy, but it works. It chokes a bit on transitions with stacked filters. It's overclocked to "4".
    So I figure I need a new system at this point. Plus I have 14 8TB hard drives in the computer, so I guess the only thing to do is build a new one and keep the old one.
    I'm looking at all the ratings, reviews, etc. For CPUs and cards.
    According to a lot of benchmarks, even a fairly cheap Intel 8 core will perform as well as some of the new 16 or 24 core CPUs. This seems ridiculous.
    What do you all think? What's a good CPU Graphic card combo?

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave

Well, 9900K is non upgradable path. Plus very few IO options.

Considering drives - just make separate server and link to it using 10Gbit connection. I have two topics on 10Gbit - fiber and twisted pair.

• Thanks--I guess I can't go too wrong with the 9900K. But the 1950 and upgrade later is an interesting idea, it's not so bad to just pop in another CPU.
    Hard drives--there's no more room in case which already is too heavy to lift haha.....but I suppose I could make an external box. The other solution is to buy a bunch of super capacity drives and then put two drives on one but that would be expensive....

• @DrDave

For exact this moment system on 9900K most probably will be fastest in Premiere.

But it will change fast.

My own view - best to go with x399+1950X route with later update to 32 core Zen 2 based Threadripper. Also good for lot of hard drives as you can just add extra controllers

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/22491/adding-more-sata-ports-jms585-pcie-3.0-controllers