Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 + ANAMORPHIC YASHICA SCOPE LENS 8mm 1.5x ?
  • Hi, Any suggestions and experiences with YASHICA SCOPE ANAMORPHIC LENS 8mm 1.5x on GH1? This anamorphic lens is very small, only 50mm length. Will it produce vignette or any other issues on GH1/2? There are few video clips with this anamorphic lens with 550D, but no even one video with GH1/2. So, if anyone uses this combination with GH1/2, please upload a video test. Please for more detailed info.

(Also, if anamorphic lens 2x used, then the picture becomes ultra wide, so in this case how to achieve a picture with 2.35:1 ratio without objects stretched?) Thanks in advance!

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • I have it, and it is used in a clip in the low gop demo shoot, which I'm sure you can find around here..

There is some vignetting, more or less depending on what lens you couple it with.. Personally I've used it with a canon 50mm f1.4 c-mount, where the back of the anamorphic adapter somehow magically fit. With an additional step-ring I managed to couple it with the kit-zoom as well, but I had to use ETC mode to make it work, and of course, no vignetting but you can get spectacular macro, and very particular narrow DOF. I tried it also on a fujian 35mm cctv lens but it was vignetting too much.

It doesn't work well for shooting large vistas, because it works best with lenses in the tele end, and because you have to get into ETC mode to make the image flat in terms of focal field.

The native aspect ratio you can achieve with a 1.5x adapter (from 16:9 format) is 2.21:1

Here's the link to the showcase:

• Thank you, RRRR!

Actually, I plan to use it with CCTV 35mm 1.7 and the new CCTV 24mm 1.4.

So, as I understand, I can't use this anamorphic lens with GH1 in normal mode combined with lens wider than 50mm?!?

• Well, you can but you will have to crop the image, most likely. It makes sense to try it out anyway (if you have the adapter, or can get it for cheap), because it also depends on how you manage to mount the adapter.. But I doubt you will get "clean" results with those lenses.

The vignetting on the 35mm was "only" slight. In other words, if you step down you will get black corners, but not a major part of the image. Pretty much like many c-mounts around 25mm. I want to try it out with some other 35mm lens, because I suspect there will be one or two that could take it. Your best bet is from 40mm upwards, though.

I got the adapter for about 25$, so for a similar amount of money it is definately worth trying out. Even if you can't get it to work with above mentioned lenses.

By the way, the Yashica is surprisingly flare resistant.. It really has to be plunged into light (in heavy contrast situations) to start producing anamorphic trademark flare. I checked out some of the youtube 550d videos using the Yashica and I'm inclined to believe the flare may have been produced in post.

The only time I've been able to produce the stereotypical anamorphic flare was in close to pitch black with a couple of kino-flourescent lights lighting the scene.

• I don't know and don't understand the people who use anamorphic lens especially because of the flare. The most general reason I want to buy it is the best cinematic picture it produces, like no any other settings, plug-ins, Magic Bullet, etc.

RRRR, would you take a look at the lens below? And what do you think about them and GH1?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sankor-Anamorphic-16D-No-51977-Lens-/260946774548?pt=UK_Photography_Projection_Lenses&hash=item3cc1a3ca14&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/anamorphic-lens-/160722305722?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item256bcbc2ba

Thank you in advance!

• @producer: both Sankor and Proskar have very good reputation... I have used neither of them but I think you will be able to get far more allround use from them than from the yashica. I think you will be able to get a fully sharp picture without vignetting (on the right lenses) from both.

• Thank you once again, RRRR!

The only thing that is stopping me from those Sankor and Proskar is that they both are 2x which means ultra wide picture. The only way is to shoot in 4:3, hehe. Sorry for disturbing you again, just one last question:

Is it true that focusing will be much pain in such a situation? What I read is that the focus of the lens must be adjusted, then the anamorphic lens focus too, i.e. two focuses.

• @producer: well, you can also make it ultra, ultra wide by shooting 16:9. :)

In my experience it is best to keep focusing on the anamorphic adapter to a minimum - only adjust on the adapter when you can't get good focus on the lens.. But you will have to try out how it works in any specific situation. For instance, with the yashica on the 50mm canon I might be able to use infinity focus on the adapter for quite a big part of the spectrum (where I use the 50mm to focus). For closeups though - I've found that I loose resolution if I don't refocus the adapter. Also since it is two different focusing mechanisms, it doesn't exactly work linearly... All I can say here is that you will need to try out the combo you plan on using (perhaps also a few different combos) before you will be able to make good decisions on shoot.

The most difficult possible setting for me have been when using ex-tele on the gh2 and having to deal with above mentioned issues. (+ different focal lengths as that was with the kit-zoom) The main reason for the problems is that preview in ex-tele mode is soft (much softer than the actual recording), so you don't see the precise outcome of your focusing (when using focus assist), which in turns means a high degree of guessing.. It is possible to start the recording, set the focus but it is not as accurate as getting help from the focus assist.

Once you know how it works (and I recommend spending a lot of time with your equipment to try out as many scenarios as possible to cover all possible quirks), it is not much more ardous than focusing normally (except for ex-tele mode) - however, it is highly recommended to have a monitor that can desqueeze the footage. That way there will be less guessing.

• Maybe I wrote it wrong - the anamorphic lenses x2 produce ultra wide picture because of squeezing 2x from 16:9. So, what I meant is that's what makes me avoid those x2 anamorphic lenses. To get 2.35:1 (or similar) picture, then need to shoot in 4:3, but GH1 can't shoot AVCHD in4:3, right?

• @producer, Sorry for butting in, anything Anamorphic catches my attention. RRRR's words are worth gold in here but might not satisfy your questions. Let me explain; I was in your shoes last year. Everyday I've been asking questions similar to yours and I understand the nuances only marginally now. From what i understand there never was a concise knowledge base on the subject. There are some very high-end optical articles in the physics books that only add to your questions. And then there is this vast experimental knowledge base that comes from the community of shooters ( like RRRR ) that try their best to share their experience. In fact some of these discussions go back to the Super8 and Super16 film times. Your Yashica lens comes from that era. The most challenging steps in " DSLR + Anamorphic " are : - Finding the suitable anamorphic adapter that matches ( almost ) your DSLR chip size/proportions. - Finding the suitable spherical lens ( taking lens ) that matches your anamorphic adapter and your DSLR. - Finding a proper, secure, working way to hold the anamorphic adapter attached to your taking lens.

Now the decision making on the above gets really challenging when the following facts becomes your reality : - How much you can afford to pay for this venture? - How do you know what you pay for is going to " do " what you expect with such lack of data? - Availability of the adapter that has the above qualifications is simply crap shooting.

I suggest : - Get a copy of Andrew Reid's " EOSHD Anamorphic Shooter's Guide " and get to know Andrew and his articles. Most people end up spending a lo of time and money buying various combinations of stuff for that elusive look they are after. In fact Andrew himself spent a small fortune on this idea. He put together this wonderful manual for everybody to read and avoid the unnecessary troubles and expenses.
    - Get to know Kostas. He is anywhere, anybody talking the anamorphic thing. The best idea is to invite him here. He has done extensive experimenting with many combinations and he is very generous in sharing.

• @010101

That's some very good advice. If one really wants to have a complete anamorphic look then there clearly are some safe bets in terms of anamorphic adapters. If one already has a bunch of optics to try out (either in possession or to loan) with the adapter in question, then it doesn't have to be very hard to get the right combo('s) either. As long as you have a budget to buy the right adapter and a clamp to attach it with.

@producer

I understood you, what I meant what that you could shoot 3.55:1 if you wanted to, crop down to 2.35:1, if you wanted to.. (with a 2x adapter, go for 1.33x for 2.35:1 from 16:9) As you say, there is no native 4:3 in avchd mode, but exploring mjpeg for anamorphics might be an option for you in this case.. Especially if you shoot on the gh1, where the difference between avchd and mjpeg seems less pronounced. Or just shoot away with 16:9 and crop / leave it wide.

• @RRRR: "The native aspect ratio you can achieve with a 1.5x adapter (from 16:9 format) is 2.21:1"

Actually 1.78:1 (16:9 aspect ratio) X 1.5 squeeze = 2.67:1 aspect ratio when unsqueezed.

Vincent

• @Vincent_Pereira you are correct, my mistake..