Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Good read: Taiwan contract manufacturers and laptops
  • This dissertation aims to open the knowledge production “black box” of laptop contract manufacturers in Taiwan and their factories in China from 1988 to 2012. By examining their engineering practices, I demonstrate the complexity and changing dynamics of design-manufacturing laptops across different time periods, which not only refutes a perception of linear progress from manufacturing to design for Taiwan’s industry, but also challenges the idea that manufacturing lacks innovation and importance. I show how manufacturing and design capability are equally crucial and argue that it is also the intensive interaction between design and manufacturing, internally and externally, that matters. I develop a concept, field knowledge, to describe this interactiveness that involves frequent multiple-sited and trans-organizational exchanges between actors from heterogeneous backgrounds.

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/39461/ll289.pdf;sequence=1