Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BOYA BY-F8OD v's Audio-Technica AT803
  • I am looking into these two very similar lavalier microphones. I am wanting to use (either one) for instrument / voice performance (where form factor is important).

If one looks at the design, and specs they are almost identical, (I am assuming that the BOYA is heavily inspired by AT).

Does anyone have any experience with either unit? I haven't been able to find any discussion on-line regarding these two extremely similar units.

BOYA SPECS:

Frequency Response:  35-18,000Hz
     Sensitivity:  -38dB +/- 3dB / 0dB=1V/Pa,1kHz
     Signal to Noise Ratio:   80dB
     Output Impedance:  200 Ohms
     Power Supply:  1.5V battery or 48V phantom
     Battery Life:  70 hours approximately
     Switch:  Off , on-flat , on-roll-off
     Plug:  3-pin XLR
     Dimensions of power
     mould(L*H*D):
     86*63*28mm (3.4x2.5x1.1')
     Length of the lavalier cable:  2m (6.6')
     Net Weight:  212g (7.5oz)

Audio Technica SPECS:

Frequency Response:   30-20,000 Hz
     Sensitivity:

Phantom: -44 dB (6.3 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
    Battery: -46 dB (5.0 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa

Signal to Noise Ratio:  66 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
     Output Impedance:

Phantom: 200 ohms
      Battery: 270 ohms

Power Supply:  1.5V battery or 48V phantom
     Switch:  Off , on-flat , on-roll-off
     Plug:  3-pin XLR

LINKS:

http://www.boya-mic.com/lavaliermicrophones/741.html

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/697235da7c34d03d/index.html

Audio_Technica_AT803.jpg
    1033 x 438 - 219K
    BOYA_BY_F8OD.jpg
    1200 x 444 - 214K
  • 17 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer

None of them

You can either use Tascam DR-10L and their mike.

Or jump to another level and look at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898931-REG/senal_cl6_3_5h_p_cl6_omni_lavalier_mic.html (they have different versions) if you need power

Or better mike without this - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1272800-REG/senal_utm_86_35h_lavalier_mic_with.html

• If you're looking for a dirt cheap lav mic then I've been using my Aputure A.Lav straight into Panasonic G6 for most of my vlogs, and for its ultra low cost and extreme ease of use then I'm fairly pleased with it and happy to recommend it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Presale-Aputure-A-lav-professional-omnidirectional-lavalier-microphone-used-with-mobile-recorder-other-equipment-for-recording/32504550619.html

Deity (the spin off audio brand from Aputure) is I think soon releasing an updated version of this. Not sure exactly what this involves though, other than a longer cable (the 3m cable with my Aputure A.Lav is plenty long enough for me 95% of the time, but some vloggers would appreciate greater length).

• @IronFilm

If you're looking for a dirt cheap lav mic then I've been using my Aputure A.Lav straight into Panasonic G6 for most of my vlogs, and for its ultra low cost and extreme ease of use then I'm fairly pleased with it and happy to recommend it.

Aputure mikes sound is good - yet cables they use are complete crap. I suggest to stay away as far as you can for anything similar to serious stuff.

How cable is made, how flexible and durable it is, how wires are made - it all counts even more than mike sound.

• @IronFilm not looking for cheapest lavalier. I was thinking that as the AT803 etc. are larger lavalier mics than sub-miniatures it would give better sound and still fill my needs. (I want to put together a binaural dummy head)

If there is no benifit to using a larger capsule, (at least in the lavalier space) then I would rather get a DPA 4060, (which are not really that much more expensive than Saken, etc).

• @vitaliy_kiselev It's funny you say that. The A.Lav was our primary production mic... until the cable went bad! I contacted Aputure and they bounced me to Deity who said the mic was discontinued when I asked if they could send me a replacement end or let me buy one. I'm going to swap the end with one with a large strain relief just to have it as a backup. We grabbed a few XLR Lavs to replace it with.

• @Firworks

It is more sad than funny.

Making good cables for lav requires more expertise comparing to making microphone itself (as none of them are making electret elements anyway).

• Aputure mikes sound is good - yet cables they use are complete crap.

Never had a problem with my cable.

The A.Lav was our primary production mic...

How long have you been using it for?

@IronFilm not looking for cheapest lavalier.

Well you mentioned a BOYA lav, which kinda screamed out you wanted "cheap". Although I realize now you were not meaning the BOYA lav I thought you meant (which is even cheaper than the Aputure A.Lav), but rather this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Professional-Omni-directional-Instrument-Microphone/dp/B07BZH2X9C

Yeah nah. Don't do that.

then I would rather get a DPA 4060

Then do that. Both of these other two you've mentioned would undoubtedly be a step down from a DPA.

• Never had a problem with my cable.

If you did not have problem with it does not mean anything.

As we had few failures of cables I made some research and asked people - it is very common Aputure thing. And company really does not care about it. They prefer to spend on marketing lately.

I suggest to stay away from any Aputure/Diety branded product that has cables, for now.

• @IronFilm sorry for the confusion. Mainly I was thinking about form-factor. If there wasn't a great deal of difference between the two mics, then obviously I would choose the cheaper one. I was also thinking as both mics are rather large for Lavalier Mic's that it would probably be easier to achieve a better sound, without resorting to dark magic such as DPA etc.

There are also conflicting reports regarding 'matched pair' stereo mics. Many online discussions say that it's mainly a marketing term these days. But its hard to find good solid information regarding this, especially when manufacturers discuss this aspect so often.

Having used mics over the years, I am completely convinced that the pre-amp is in many respects as important, or even more. So I would be interested in having a few 'bad - but not horrible' huge cheep lavs running around the gear bag.

If there are any reports regarding the Lavs discussed in this thread I am still interested in hearing them! :-)

• @alcomposer

As I said, get Senals I mentioned, better top one. Can wait for sales - one day sales happen each few months.

They use very good electret capsules, good wires and their mounting hardware is unmatched. make in China, but designed and under supervision of guys who really used lav mikes.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev would you say they are same ( or similar ) standard as DPA?

• @alcomposer

Did not use DP, so have no idea, most probably not looking at DPA prices.

Main part of top lav microphones price is not just mike quality, but reliability, pays out if you have large crew.

• Yes, something to think about. Current Senal price is about $200 AUD. So either way not inexpensive.

• @IronFilm since April. In September it started flaking out where we would have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting it to get it to function. Finally a few weeks ago it no longer would function at all.

• I was also thinking as both mics are rather large for Lavalier Mic's that it would probably be easier to achieve a better sound, without resorting to dark magic such as DPA etc.

You're right that the very small size of lav mics does make quite a significant design constraint upon their quality. But does a minor increase in size (as they're still small!) make up for the less than premium status of them? I doubt it (not without a side by side A/B testing of it).

There are also conflicting reports regarding 'matched pair' stereo mics.

Worst case scenario at least get a couple of mics from the same production run.

Having used mics over the years, I am completely convinced that the pre-amp is in many respects as important, or even more.

Get yourself at least a Zoom F8

As we had few failures of cables

This is the first thread I've heard about it. And I hang out on the Aputure/Deity product forums a lot.

Am pretty rough too with my Aputure A.Lav as it is just my casual vlogging set up, and no issues.

It is actually a tricky trade off that product designers need to make between durability and flexibility, as lavs in general have a rough life (gee, thanks uncaring/clueless talent! Oh well). One of my toughest lav cables also has one of the worst handling noise, so it is a compromise. Kinda half wish they'd gone with a cable that is a little less durable.

• This is the first thread I've heard about it. And I hang out on the Aputure/Deity product forums a lot.

You need to hang less on different forums :-)

It is actually a tricky trade off that product designers need to make between durability and flexibility

It is much more complex.

• @IronFilm, I use a MixPre6, but I am very interested in the new zoom f8 firmware. :-O

I use a USBC battery, (love using USBC, just really solid, and no worries about power!)