Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro HERO (2018) hardware identical to Hero5!
  • https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/latest-gopro-hero-is-actually-a-gopro-hero5

We purchased a GoPro HERO (2018) the other day and after some cursory inspection we realized this camera is actually a GoPro HERO5 with the firmware crippled. To confirm our hypothesis, we decided to trick the camera to loading the GoPro HERO5 software. It loaded properly and all the features were unlocked. Even GPS and 4K at 30fps work great!

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • That seems pretty hoax-like to me. I'd like to see a hardware teardown to confirm that everything is the same. As far as I know, the FCC stuff really only needs to apply to the wireless hardware in the camera which it would make sense to share between the cameras.

Otherwise, it seems like a really weird choice to cut down still images from 12 megapixel to 10 megapixel on the Hero (2018). I could see shedding some video features, but the rest seems pretty weird - especially given that at present, the Hero is only 20% cheaper (the hero 5 price has gone way down lately - just a month or two, I bought a refurb for $250 on ebay after a coupon)

• Hypoxic is a serious reverse engineer so I have no doubt it's real.

• I remember DJI did the same with their Naza V1 and V2 flight controllers.