Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which one is better for legacy lenses: sensor stabilization or 3 axis gimbal ?
  • I am using a G7 with old lenses without stabilization. I am considering buy a Zhiyun Crane-M to help me to do some handheld camera video shots. The question is:

It would be better to use the Gimbal with the G7or it would be better to upgrade the camera buying the G85 with sensor stabilization and avoid the Gimbal? Which option would give me better stabilization for walking and no walking (stopped) situations?

Thanks!

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Zhiyun Crane-M most probably will be too weak.

Better is to have both :-)

But actually answer depends on your shooting tasks. If you can do most shooting such gimbal will fit - it is better and universal solution.

• For, walking Gimbal does more, for standing still IBIS/IS is good.

However both together are better, especially for walking. Gimbal only you'll still get micro shakes and what not that the IBIS can take care of. IBIS alone will not compensate for the larger shakes and movements.

Also it depends on your technique, I met one camera op using a huge shoulder mounted camera no IBIS. I watched his footage, smooth as silk.

I am terrible with holding the camera still/smooth movement so I need both :)

• This video shows the Zhiyun Crane M working with the G85 with 12-60mm lens (715 grams load), so it probably will be enough:

• @apefos

Even if it appears to work, on such gimbal any imbalance or focus change can lead to issues.

• Many gimbals even with advanced features suck, and most people suck at balancing them and never do proper calibration. However now that encoders are becoming standard, there is allot more forgiveness for manufacturers and users alike. Still technique is very important. Walking just right, and knowing when to begin and end manuevers makes a huge difference. Many seem to think a gimbal solves all issues, and you can just run and jump and move around in a jerky fashion. Sure it will look better than the average spastic monkey with a camera, but using the same concepts you would with no stabilization is the key difference between decent gimbal footage and smooth as silk footage. It's why drone guys spend so much time working the kinks out of their machines. A perfectly balanced and stable machine lets the gimbal do it's thing without outside interference. Human bodies are no where near as balanced as a well tuned drone ;) Remember most action camera's in the air lack IS. But some of that stuff is silky beyond belief. The truely greatly balanced gimbals in the right hands don't need IS imho.