Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Z Camera E1 Mini m43 4K camera for $199 only, cheapest 4K ever
  • 276 Replies sorted by
  • Here is a low-light DCI 4K video:

Here is a 4K video shot in a Shenzhen Shopping Plaza:

• Graded from Zlog.

• DCI 4K time-lapse from 16MP images:

• Here's a video with two very low-light scenes shot with a nonfast lens on the Z Camera E1. For each scene the out-of-camera shot is first followed by the Neat Video NR application. Two observations: 1. The Z Camera noise is visible, but has no chroma content - and there is no smearing of detail (unlike on many Sony small-sensor cameras and Yi action cams), so the in-camera NR is light. 2. The Neat Video NR is quite good - the noise almost disappears, and the detail is retained. See the noise in the first clip around the number 1490 on the car.

• Slow 14-140mm lens used.

• I think I'm gonna do it. It's between this or getting an old gf2 and hacking that. Those are like $80 on ebay. But with this I could probably get a higher average bitrate than I could with the hacked gf2 right? Really wish it were still at that $200 price point though.

• @CFreak thanks for the heads up! How does the video out of this hold up to say, a Panasonic G6? (I used to have one of those) In terms of detail, dynamic range, light gathering ability of sensor, bitrates, etc...

(That was a little mysterious how I posted that yesterday and then they brought the price down today...!)

• @oery10m There are many videos - low light, bright light, zlog graded - from the Z E1 posted here. Why is it that looking at them doesn't answer your questions about detail, DR, bitrates etc.? I posted almost all of them. If you want an original, out of camera zlog clip, go to

and download the original.

The Z has the same sensor as the GH4, so on DR it should be the same (but, again, you can see in the videos). The Z "color science" and WB is much better than those of the GH4.

Thanks for bringing the price down!

• @markr041 Thanks! Well..mainly because I'm not really good enough to "know what I'm looking at" alot of the time. So I wanted to hear from more experienced / better trained eyes about what they are seeing. Or about how they would expect the footage to compare to the older G6.

For example, I could look at some of your clips and think 'hey those look pretty great.." only to realize later, or once I have some of my own footage on my computer, I wasn't seeing the 'noise' that is really there (or any other issue)

• @oery10m I understand. But now you can download an actual clip from the camera, one that has mixed light and movement and requires grading to work with on your own computer. And, here is a comparison in low light (same lens) of the GH4 and the Z1:

You can also download this to your computer. The Z is far more advanced than the G6 - it is a GH4, but better (though harder to use).

• @markr041 thanks for posting these clips. I am downloading both of the above clips and will try grading the Log tomorrow.

In my limited experience with Log profiles, I found the Panasonic GH4 V-Log to look closer to Sony S-Log 3 than Sony S-Log2.

From my first look at your Z-Log video, it appears to be contraster than Panasonic V-Log and closer to Sony S-Log2. Has that been your experience as well?

I am wondering if I can fit a Z cam E1 into a mix of my GH4 and A6500's log profiles. I have notice the blue on the Sony S-Log2 was very off from the GH4 and I had to use a secondary color correction to bring it back. I have changed some PP settings and will test it soon.

When funds permit, I would like to get a 2nd A6500 and I am questioning if a Z cam E1 could be used for a locked off camera at events and matched to an A6500...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

• (That was a little mysterious how I posted that yesterday and then they brought the price down today...!)

Thanks @orey10m, you caused the price drop! ;-)

I imagine with a tiny 5" monitor this E1 camera would be really nice to shoot with:

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1029/gear-deals-neway-ct550-monitor-sale

I think I'm gonna do it. It's between this or getting an old gf2 and hacking that. Those are like $80 on ebay. But with this I could probably get a higher average bitrate than I could with the hacked gf2 right? Really wish it were still at that $200 price point though.

I own a GF3, and I can assure you an E1 would be massively massively better choice!

• I own a GF3, and I can assure you an E1 would be massively massively better choice!

Of course. Plus it has proper HDMI output and more.

• And, here is a comparison in low light (same lens) of the GH4 and the Z1:

@markr041, if the first one is the Z1 then it seems the Z1is rating ISO 800 higher than the GH4 is. As you're probably need to shoot the Z1 at ISO 640 to match the exposure with the GH4. Which I suppose is half a point in favor of the Z1? Kinda, sort of.

Also are they being shot from exactly the same position? If so it appears the Z1 has a very slightly wider FoV?! But guessing that is more just to do with a slight variation in re-positioning between shots.

When funds permit, I would like to get a 2nd A6500 and I am questioning if a Z cam E1 could be used for a locked off camera at events and matched to an A6500...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'd go for the E1 if we're just talking about a locked off C cam.

I need handheld, and thus OSS. So, for run and gun, the 12-35 pancake OSS lens!

So OSS works with the E1?

How terribly bad is the audio input with the E1?

Good enough for casual vlogging? I have extremely low standards when it comes to my vlog (although perhaps still higher than some! :-P ):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCniNTuAtkFiSCQNfIaw9SJw

But not absolute sh*t for audio is important for me if I'm to use the E1 for my vlogs (at the moment when filming myself I either use my BMPCC or my Samsung J2, which doesn't even have FHD!).

• Does this cam do 4K/@ 23.976? Is there a time limit on recording? TIA.

• It does 4K DCI 24p yes, and no time limit.

• Just realised the SLR Magic 8mm f/4 Lens has dropped down only US$169:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322738-REG/slr_magic_slr8m4_8mm_f_4_lens.html?sts=pi

That is hell cheap with the E1 for a 360VR set up! :-o

(price history, as I've been following this: June the 13th SLR Magic 8mm f4 was US$269, then September 8th went on sale for just US$199! But now even lower... :-o Can't resist any longer?! )

• @DrDave 4K DCI 24p means 24.00 fps, for film (same as on the GH4, GH5). Not 23.976. No limit, as said.

SLR Magic 8mm, Z Camera E1, Zhiyun Crane M - all made for each other for moving video like action cam with no fisheye and better quality video.

• @DrDave are you targeting old school NTSC over the air waves?!?! If so then go nuts with legacy 23.976

Otherwise shoot 24p