Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Macro lenses for m43, old ones
  • I can't afford yet Leica DG Macro 45mm.
    Searching for alternative, old macro lenses, any experience in macro video filming ... ?
  • 52 Replies sorted by
  • I bought the Vivitar 55mm f2.8, in Canon FD mount, after Vitaliy advised it. I can't complain, fun lens to play with, and cheap (got mine for 70€, some here got it cheaper with different mount).

Another lens I bought (also advised by Vitaliy... I clearly lack personality) is the Canon fd 80-200 L. I love this one, and it has a 1:3.1 max magnification ratio, which can do some very nice macro when used with ETC. Again, quite cheap, around 130€ (I bought a 2d one this week for 90€, maybe a Xmas gift for a friend)
  • I just discovered I have this lens from a bag full of old lenses my mom sent to me:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/86338-sale-sold-panagor-90mm-f2-8-macro-pentax-k-mount.html

I don't have the correct mount yet. I've read it's a pretty decent lens though.
  • The Tokina/Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 macro was an excellent lens, made in several vintage mounts that can be readily adapted to the GH2:

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/2009/10/vivitar-series-1-90mm-f25-vmc-12-bokina.html

http://pagan-live-style.deviantart.com/journal/Bokina-or-Vivitar-F2-5-90mm-Macro-263062318
  • To all of you , thank you very much.
    How about TAMRON SP90mm F/2.5 ?
    Does this need any extender ?
  • I have Leitz Summicron f2,0/50, Leitz Summaron f2,8/35, Leitz Elmarit f2,8/90. I have had them sinse the 1960th together with my Leica M2. They now have with GH2 come to live again with the M-adepter. They work perfect with my GH2 and I specially love the 50 mm Summicron.
  • This is kind of Off-Topic but I dont' want to start a new topic.

Is it possible to buy SLR Magic's extension tube? And is there any other tubes ?
  • The Tamron SP 90mm 2.5 is great. You don't need an extender up to 2:1, only for 1:1.
  • @jokieone

It is really offtopic.
    Just make new "Macro extension tubes" topic ;-)
  • Vivitar 55mm f2.8 if you want cheap.
    New (not old!) Tamron 90mm.
    Biggest problem is that most 90mm old macro lenses cost is now inflated.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thank you, i will check Vivitar 55mm f2.8 ...
  • I'v bought for now RAYNOX DCR 250,
    will test it how it works ...
  • Try old Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm 1:2 Auto Macro lens if you can find one on ebay. You'll need an OM to MFT adapter. But its Wonderful.
  • @driftwood
    thank you, will check it ...
  • It's not old, but the Panny/Leica 45mm f/2.8 is a fantastic macro lens.
  • Just bought the old Vivitar 55mm in mint condition. Man, it's really sharp.
  • Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.4. Was about $200 on eBay a year ago... Wish I didn't sell mine
  • I have the Vivitars mentioned above, the 55mm and the 90mm and the 55mm is the one I use the most because it is light weight (the 90mm is a brick) and has a sort of lens hood by virtue of the recessed lens They are both excellent. I don't see a difference in sharpness. The 55 was recently retested online and it tested pretty high. I paid $13 for my 55mm and $175 for the 90 (with the 1:1 adapter) so no question which is the better deal. I prefer the color of the 55mm to the 90mm.
    You can also just buy a lens spacer on eBay for ~$10 that turns your old lenses or even m43 lenses into macro lenses. They work pretty well.
  • The 100mm Macro Rokkor by Minolta is great and another one I like a lot is the manual Tamron 90mm 2.5 SP, which is tack sharp, has beautiful bokeh and looks good even at normal distances.
  • Totally agree nomad. I used the Tamron 90mm 2.5 on a commercial shot couple of weeks ago. I can only recommend it.
  • I just got a 35mm Flektogon.. superb lens. An extender would be necessary to really push the macro function though. I'm guessing it would be possible to get a really unique look with a wide angle converter..
  • I'm curious ... what are you guys using these macro lenses for? Are you actually shooting macro video? I have the Vivitar 55mm 2.8.
  • Old Tamron 90mm f/2.5 1:2 SP macro (Yashica Contax mount), awesome, combine that with tubes.. epic. Otherwise reverse mounting 50mm, 28mm etc is amazing too. But big light loss, not a prob if you want to make your own macro LED light ring with some nice bright 1W LEDs.

Got my Tamron for < $10. A long with a bunch of Yashica Contaxt mint condition primes for < $10 each. So lovely.

I'll be shooting macro videos when I got something to shoot/idea. I want to make something long, not shorts for Vimeo etc.
  • Oh yeah the Flektogon 35mm is a splendid lens. Min focusing distance of only 0.7, it is very sharp and yields saturated colours. Took me a while to collect the entire collection: 20mm, 35mm, 135mm
  • The Canon FD 100mm macro f4.0 nice, sharp and cheap.
  • Check out Contax Zeiss. They are amazing lenses, even better than CZ Jena. I have a 50mm / 1,7, still amazed at the lovely bokeh and colour resolution after all these yrs