Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Using GH4 + Shogun for commercial greenscreen production - Our experience
  • I am usually just consuming content on this excellent forum, so I thought it's time to give something back.

We just finished a commercial film production and thought I share some insights on why we have chosen to shoot this with the GH4. Our key requirements have been

1. 10Bit 4k capability (greenscreen project!)
    2. Light weight (we had challeging camera angles and limited budget for rigging => e.g. birdeye shots with shitty rig)
    3. Long battery life (we didn't want to add external battery solutions => our rig had very low weight limitations)
    4. Problem free (e.g. no overheating)

So after long discussions choosing between Sony A7s II and GH4, we decided to use the latter one and I don't regret this decision.

We had a lot of challenges but they have not been regarding camera choice, more related to the customers corporate colors (yellow turning green in shadows) and lighting the massive greenscreen. The only real challenge on the GH4 for us was the shitty HDMI port but we solved that with adding a Zacuto Port Protector (without that, it would have been a nightmare!).

But judge for yourself, feedback welcome! (note: the project required massive effort in post production)

Greenscreen_Set.jpg
    1698 x 950 - 323K
    Birdeye_ShittyRig.jpg
    2228 x 1256 - 384K
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters