Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-M1 Mk II topic
  • 289 Replies sorted by
  • I found it interesting in the interview that Olympus still do not consider the EM1 II a hybrid but "a stills camera with video". It makes me wonder with all they have apparently done why they wouldn't consider it a Hybrid for marketing purposes.

This one easy. They heavily used marketing, especially via their photo guys partners, claiming that Olympus make cameras for true still shooters. So, I think that they want to take it all slow, and not break any Panasonic relations in same time.

• Updated some info in first post.

As their managers tell camera won't have any crop in 4K modes, except if you want additional digital stab enabled (ala Panasonic Active mode in their camcorders).

• This could be the sleeper cam for video, except that I remember years of interviews where Olympus management claimed that no one wanted video. I would not underestimate their capacity to screw something up and then describe it as a "feature."

• The Dutch Store Fotokonijnenberg.nl listed the new Olympus E-M1II with a price of €1.999,00

Big margins galore.

• Do you think its a realistic price?

• DPreview note

For example, the flagship Olympus body now costs nearly $2,000.

So pretty realistic.

• Is this a real authentic video?

• I saw that iceberg picture yesterday.. that gallery (all taken handheld) is pushing me toward buying.

• @jules

And I though that it will force you to travel to this place and also spend money on some raw processing course. :-) As both this things played around 100x more role compared to camera.

• Well written Vitaliy... I am sure these pictures could have been taken from the older E-M1 and still look the same with the right RAW work.

• @liork

I am sure that you can do same or better with $100-200 used kit camera.

• oh boy,

@Vitaliy_Kiselev yes.. i get that...

it was more the handheld waterfall shots in the gallery that i was impressed by.

And @liork, that wasn't my point. E-M1 mk1 won't give me the video capability i want.

• @jules, I am also waiting for this camera (and for its video capabilites), but until now we have seen nothing about picture quality in real life.

• @liork agreed, i just like allowing myself to get a little excited sometimes, especially when we aren't at the point yet of having to decide to buy or not. it's a nice break from skepticism ;)

• Agree with that :-)

• Funny as always, but nothing new in this video.

• I'm intrigued and surprised we haven't heard more about this camera.

IBIS plus a robust bitrate for 4K are a pretty good combo. Is this 8 bit or 10 bit recorded internally?

• +1. The specs look strong. But no one has posted any actual experience with it.

• First 4K video sample, what do you say?

• Hard to know based on Youtube, but everything I've seen from the Fujifilm XT-2 looks better.