Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A7s II 4K low light beast topic
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, you can actually charge while shooting. No, it does not keep up with battery drain. Also my A7sII shut down in less than one hour with an overheat message. By going back to using a dummy battery attached to a NP990 I can solve both overheating and active camera time. Problem is that the internal recording is limited to 29 minutes, and my Odyssey 7Q+ does not support 1080P120 yet. So my 3 hour unmanned Video recordings are currently limited to 4k and 4k DownRes to 1080P30 or just 1080P60.

• The output of the USB charger will also be relevant. If a 1A charger fails, a 2.1A may still be worth trying.

• RRRoger - look forward to your results! Be very interested in you can power for long periods using just the USB charger - was worried it wouldn't charge as fast as the battery is draining.

• jasonkkchan "You can actually charge the battery while shooting" I will find out today after the new camera arrives.

I typically shoot with my A7s for 1.25 and 3+ hours at a time while recording with a 7Q+. I use a dummy battery powered by a 74.9 Wh NP-F990 for plenty of power. However, what I would prefer is to use my 3200 mAh Poweradd for both the camera and recorder for a much cleaner setup.

Today I will try shooting my new A7sII for the first time. It will be internal 1080P120 (no Odyssey 7Q+) with internal battery + power through USB charging port. We will see how long I can record total with that combo while restarting the camera every 29 minutes or less.

• Hi RRRoger, we made the BananaMana Films review. Yes - the USB does charge while the camera is on. Not sure if it's actually charging whilst recording though. I tried it with just a USB battery pack for phone charging and it worked. Think it'll be helpful since these batteries are the same as the Sony a7s batteries. Thanks Vitaly for posting our video. Hope it's helpful.

BTW here's the Youtube version of the above video in 4K:

• I have asked and was told that you could NOT charge while shooting. Tomorrow I will find out for myself. 40,000 ISO looks really good so does the Banana Mana hand held 4k recording.

• Still mixed reports on overheating. One user said he ran the camera at 4K in 74 degree room for the life of the battery (1 hr 20 min) and it overheated twice.

• Assuming I end up picking up one of these new Sonys, I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the rII and sII. I use GH4s mostly with an A7s for low-light backup. I also take a lot of stills on the A7s, as I like the way it handles. Seems like the rII gives this greats stills functionality with great 4k (with speedbooster in crop mode), decent full frame 4k and also strong if not best in class low light. A7s is better low light, maybe no overheating full frame all the way...

• My A7sII should be here by Thursday. I am wondering how many "defaults" I need to turn off to use it on a TriPod for Video? Other than IBIS and WiFi are there others?

• @Ralph_B 1080HD 60p APS-C/Super35mm ON/OFF for your perusal in Slog3 Cine (PP8) + 4K 30p / 24p

HD60p APS-C / Super35mm ON Link https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx53yxz7z0k7knf/C0037.MP4?dl=0

HD60p APS-C / Super35mm OFF https://www.dropbox.com/s/z77gzrp4jqtopok/C0038.MP4?dl=0

4K 30p FF https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqh7jtuwf9nvlkv/C0035.MP4?dl=0

4K 24p FF https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvsmfe66zu83xdn/C0034.MP4?dl=0

• I got my A7s2 yesterday- put on a Canon 70-200 f4 lens (IS off, AF off) via a metabones IV- and did a quick HD 60p handheld test for rolling shutter. No PP, no grading. If this is what the camera is capable off right out of the box with no sticks and no rig- it's much better than the original IMO.

• Brighton / couple images Sony A7SII. Rich colour and fantastic in 14 bit RAW

DSC00222.jpg
    2768 x 1848 - 512K
    DSC00248b.jpg
    2768 x 1848 - 1M
  • FWIW, you can't actually get 4K resolution out of aps-c mode on the original a7s. It's more like 2.7k that gets upscaled for 4K output.

• I just got my a7s II and tested yesterday. A lot of little improvements, that make life easier and filming with it better, but I found a strange change to the a7s1. You can´t use aps-c mode with 4k anymore. I liked the lesser problems with rolling shutter and the ability to work with metabones adapters (with speedbooster and without). Ok if it doesn´t work with internal recording, there might be processing power reasons for this, but it doesn´t work with external recording on shogun either. With A7s1 it was no problem at all to use the aps-c crop mode on external 4k recording. You still can use aps-c crop but only in fullhd recordings. On the other hand I subjectively tend to follow some findings that I found in some review. On the a7s 2 fullframe recordings seem to be cleaner than aps-c crop recordings (which seems logical somehow) On the a7s 1 it was the other way round.

Bottom line: If you work primarily with Metabones Adapter and canon glass recording externally to shogun, you might be better off sticking to the a7s 1. (the only glass that worked in fullframe mode with metabones EF nearly without vignetting are my zeiss zf primes) If you go with internal recording and sony glass, the a7s 2 has a lot of improvements (slog3, mount more stable for heavy lenses,rec button assignable, less noise and so on), nice handling(slog3,2 Lut inside, faster AF, better viewfinder especially when you wear glasses)

• @driftwood have you tried the Cineon Film Contrast LUT from Impulz? It looks great with VLog.

• Quick test using VLogtoRec709 cube. Like V Log on the GH4, S-Log3 shares similar characteristics to the Cineon gamma. :-)

• Thanks, Nick. Be sure to check full frame mode at 60P. This is the one area where I hope there would be an improvement. For comparison, shoot the same scene at HD 24P full frame. If Sony did make an improvement, the two should look the same regarding fine detail.

• Not that I can see @Ralph_B . Not much difference. However, I'll do some more slowmo stuff tomorrow as today's stuff was rushed 120/60 was a quick afterthought.