Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DaVinci Resolve 18 and older 17 and 16
  • 459 Replies sorted by
  • Just updated from version 11 to 12.1.

Everything with GH4 4k .mov files was very smooth in version 11. But in 12.1 the performance is terrible. Extremely choppy playback, cannot even do work with it.

Anyone else experiencing same with GH4 footage?

• Blackmagic Design today announced the immediate availability of DaVinci Resolve 12.1 which adds dozens of new features such as remote rendering, 10-bit viewers, new editing and color correction tools, and more. The DaVinci Resolve 12.1 update is available now for both DaVinci Resolve 12 and DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio customers, and can be downloaded from the Blackmagic Design website.

DaVinci Resolve 12 is the most successful update in the history of the software and has become the industry’s fastest growing video editor. The feedback from the DaVinci Resolve community has been overwhelmingly positive and Blackmagic Design engineers have been hard at work to add even more of the features that professional editors and colorists have asked for.

DaVinci Resolve 12.1 update gives editors the ability to select clips when using the blade tool, extend freeze frames, use faders on generators and titles, perform negative timecode offsets, filter clips more efficiently, media manage groups of selected timeline clips, sort bins and footage more easily, create better filters for smart bins, and much more. Customers also get improved subclip support with Final Cut Pro 7 XMLs and improved audio rendering of audio transitions.

What’s new in DaVinci Resolve 12.1

• Remote rendering on DaVinci Resolve Studio
    • Support for native display color profiles on OS X
    • Preferences option to enable 10-bit precision on viewers on OS X 10.11 El Capitan
    • Ability to select clips when in blade mode
    • Support for faders on generators and titles
    • Ability to extend freeze frames from the start of the edit
    • Ability to media manage selected clips on a timeline
    • Ability to perform negative timecode offset in clip attributes
    • Improved support for sub-clips from FCP7 XML
    • Improved rendering of audio transitions (cross-fades) and audio faders
    • Auto scroll during timeline item resize
    • Improved sorting in media storage and media pool
    • Support for smart bin filtering based on clip type
    • Ability to move clips and timelines from a smart bin view
    • Support for moving files to the trash instead of deleting them permanently when using the media manager on both Mac and Windows systems
    • Ability to delete multiple projects and folders in project manager
    • Ability to decompose a compound node
    • Ability to grade nested timelines
    • Ability to filter clips based on whether they have keyframes
    • Ability to manually keyframe power windows in frame mode even without tracking
    • Ability to freeze the current frame on an external matte
    • User option to copy flags and markers when performing ColorTrace
    • Improved ACEScc support
    • Support for stereo decision list (SDL) v0.25
    • Support for RED SDK v6.0.4
    • Support for embedding timecode in audio output

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

• @caveport @joethepro

Thanks for the suggestion guys. The solution was in the Color Management Settings. I attached a screenshot in case anybody else has the same problem. The changes to the Timeline Colorspace helped a lot. Now when I render out and view the clip with Quicktime it is just a hair brighter but not really an issue.

On a side note DaVinci really taxes my Mac Pro with the GTX980. That being said I wouldn't even attempt to load it on my older 8 core Mac Pro. I am now starting to wonder if the GTX980 is the reason why the gamma is off. Apple does not support the GTX980 so I had to load a " Web Driver " to make it work on my Mac Pro. On my older Mac Pro I have the AMD R9 280X but I don't think it will run well on it so I am not going to bother installing it on that.

Anyways thanks again guys.

Gamma Settings.png
    850 x 681 - 132K
  • @Azo No problem, you can always edit in proxy mode as well to speed up the process. Maybe the levels (or whatever its called) setting in the deliver area of resolve is set to the wrong parameter? I think it has like auto, video, and data. Try changing it to a different setting to see how it looks. Theres also settings in the nvidia control panel that have options to display things with video or data levels. Maybe its called full range and legal range, cant remember.

• @Azo It could be the video vs Data levels issue. Check the output settings in Resolve and see if they are set to Video or Data. Also import the rendered file into FCPX to see if it looks ok there. Also check your scopes in both applications to see the levels.

• I changed the gamma on my monitor to PC recalibrated the monitor with the ColorMunki Display and set the White Luminance level to 100. Still no joy... quicktime is noticeably brighter ;-(

Is this an issue on the PC side as well? Or is this only a Mac anomaly?

Quicktime-left-Resolve-Right.jpg
    2138 x 1085 - 325K
  • @CFreak

Thank you for the links. Somebody mentioned on one of those posts that they changed the gamma on the monitor from Mac to PC. I will try that and recalibrate my monitors. I am also not sure what the White Luminance level should be but I read somewhere to set it at 100 for video so thats what its set at and thats what I will recalibrate for. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

• @Azo Shian mentioned a QT gamma lift issue here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/206123#Comment_206123

and we touched on monitor calibration. I don't use resolve (yet) so I haven't seen the issue.

• @joethepro Thank you for your reply. I did not want to download and install if my computer wasn't capable to edit 4K.

I have a question for you that you may or may not be able to answer. With Final Cut Pro X when I export a file to ProRes it looks exactly the same when I view it with Quicktime and in Final Cut Pro X. With DaVinci Resolve 12 when I export a file it looks a lot brighter like I lifted the gamma or something in comparison to viewing in DaVinci Resolve.

I don't have an expensive 10bit panel to color grade on. I have 2=DELL U2713HM 1440p monitors and calibrate it with an X-Rite ColorMunki Display if that makes any difference.

• @Az0 Absolutely. You are well above the minimums for 1080. Your older machine will have a harder time with 4k.

• @Oblikovalnik

I'd recommend checking in the Adobe Premiere Pro forum ... I know there are a some that do post there that have CS5.5 or 6 still in operation on a Mac ...

https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/content?filterID=contentstatus[published]~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

• Hi guys,

I am in a middle of a low season going trough my installs and updates, and would really like to try out the new Resolve 12, but there is a big dilemma..

It requires osx 10.9.5 to run on my mac.. lame

Last time I installed Maverics, I had a serious problem with my purchased cs5.5 premiere pro and other programs which are still my workhorse programs..

I had to downgrade, I lost a week of working time and it was a MAJOR pain in the ass..

I DECIDED I AM NOT UPGRADING AGAIN. At least as long as we are inside this strange platform wars or smthng..

Does anyone have a workaround or any piece of good advice on this..

• my question is -

how to install Resolve 12 without the upgrade ( I am running 10.8.5 at the moment ) - or - how to be 100% buletproof sure my cs5.5 software will work if I upgrade to the latest OSX?

Thanks a lot!

• Try it – it's free…

• I have a 6 core 3.33GHZ Mac Pro with 32GB of ram and a GTX 980 graphics card. I also have an older 8 core Mac Pro 3.0 GHZ with an AMD R9 280X graphics card and 12GB of ram. I am interested in learning how to grade and edit with DaVinci Resolve 12. I wanted to know if my system is good enough in terms of hardware for DaVinci Resolve 12. I currently use Final Cut Pro X for reference. Thanks.....

• There is also a new Colour Management mode which helps when grading raw or log footage. The interface has changed the positions of many items and is taking me some time to be familiar with.

• @nomad Thanks ... suppose I might as well just use the new 12.

Neil

• Well, the 3D-Keyer can separate close colors considerably better than the old ones. The tracker got a perspective option that's working really well. Other than that, it's some nice, small improvements of the workflow.

• For those working in this, what's the dif's between Resolve 11 & 12 just as a grading program, in practical things?

Just downloaded the freebie 12, wondering whether I should go with that or the "stable" 11 version.

Neil

• Quite courageous – the last beta was still really buggy …

• Resolve 12 final (out of beta) is out.
    Case anyone needs to boost DR's hyperdrive engine fueled by tuttle, arena and/or other open source OFXs
    into realtime playback, from Tom Huczek of timeinpixels a great and succinct reading:

- - Caching in DaVinci Resolve 12 - -

for those who think reading's 4 intellectuals

• FIRST IMPRESSION: well for me, the most important improvement, PLAYBACK! Really, I am surprised this is not mentioned more often in the PR, the playback is so much more fluid, somehow eating far less resources. I have been grading GH4-4K H.264 files on both Apple and Windows in version 11 and it was dismal, inspite of rocket-fast array and loads of RAM.

Now, with version 12, the playback is great, full 25 fps up until now. I am very happy!

• thanks @joethepro and @maxr for your answers, very helpful! I will try that new clean black and white feature.