Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
C mount Fujinon E6x14AM f/1.6 14-84mm : Conversion help & Sensor size
  • Hi all,

So I have a Fujinon E6X14AM f/1.6 14-84mm TV Zoom lens that's C mount. What I'm trying to understand is what sensor sizes this lens will be compatible with for conversion. Can anyone help me out?

Also, I wanted to know if someone could link me to a site/document that explains which dimensions on the rear mount of a lens determine which sensor sizes it will cover.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Thank you for the clarification. That helps me understand.

Best,

• @Fujinonner: well, the person you quote actually does say that it doesn't cover Micro Four Thirds, it's just a bit obfuscated by his jargon: "but in the 1:1 EZ format on my GH1 this is fully useable". "EZ" means electronic zoom. In other words, the lens will vignette in normal recording mode. On the GH1 electronic zoom (=blown-up pixels) will mean lower image resolution, on the later GH models, you can use ETC mode ("electronic tele crop") to get 1:1 sensor pixel readout, at the price of sensor noise. In both case, the effective sensor size will be reduced to roughly that of a 1/3" video camera, and because of the crop the lens will only work as a tele zoom.

• In Fujinon's pattern of lens model numbers, E is an oddball. H is Fujinon's standard designation of a 2/3" single sensor lens. E would appear to be 2/3" for single-tube color cameras or slightly larger (circa early 1980s), but it's not clear how E differs from H. 12.5-75 mm f/1.4 is typical of a Fujinon 6x zoom lens in the 2/3" format.

C-Mount is a standard for everything from the 1/4" format all the way up to the 1" format, and even a few 4/3" format lenses. You can't tell the image format by knowing the mount.

The Fujinon E6x14 f/1.6 is a decent lens, but it won't come anywhere close to covering 4/3". I suggest using ETC mode on the GH2/GH3/GH4, or shooting 4k and cropping on the GH4.

• Thanks very much for your reply. Interestingly, I found this post in another forum about using this lens on micro 4/3. Can you comment? Thank you!

"A standard c-mount lens that fits the 16mm Bolex, Beaulieux etc. cine / movie cameras as well as - with optional adapters (not included) - modern micro4/3 cameras like the Panasonic G1, GH-1, GF-1, EP-1, EP-2 etc. It works perfectly on my GH1 without modification.

I have tried several of the TV zoom lenses out there, and this is the one I kept until now - clearly one of the better ones IMHO. Zoom and distance rings are nice and smooth. Zoom works smoothly with a short (3/4") lever that I somehow haven't captured in the pictures. Like on most other c-mount lenses that go wider than 25mm it does show some vignetting on the wide end on the m4/3 format, but in the 1:1 EZ format on my GH1 this is fully useable and the IQ is nice, turning it into a 56-336mm (35mm equivalent) at a fixed F1.6 - great for videos on that camera format. The size is also nice, it is approx 2" wide and 5" long, very compact for that focal length. Perfect for the m4/3 cameras IMHO. As an added bonus, it also works in the macro range which makes it a really versatile lens. I have used mostly prime lenses, so I am offering the zoom here but I can live with it if it doesn't sell...

Highlights: - 14-84mm (28-168mm FF35 equivalent) - fixed f1.6 throughout (!) - 2 x 5" (small)"

• P.S.: Rear mount dimensions are not a safe indicator of sensor coverage - except that you can be sure that a lens won't cover a sensor whose dimensions exceeds the rear mount's diameter. What really counts is image circle, and that can be much smaller than the rear mount. Just take APS-C systems as an example most of which (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony a-mount and e-mount) have lens rear mount dimensions that were designed for full frame lenses.

• Hi, I do have this lens, too, and it safely covers 2/3" video, 16mm film or a 4:3 image crop from an 1" sensor.

If you use it on a full 1"/Super 16mm sensor (Blackmagic Pocket, Nikon 1, Samsung NX mini, Digital Bolex), it will vignette in some zoom/aperture settings, but not badly.

It will not cover Micro Four Thirds, let alone APS-C or full frame 35mm.